News   Jul 12, 2024
 791     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 330     0 

Scott Pilgrim film takes on Toronto!

Twitpic image (not mine):
4014990.jpg

http://twitpic.com/2e1zi

Brian Lee O'Malley, the author, grew up in North Carolina and then moved to Toronto where he indeed fell in love.

Scott Pilgrim, the character, is from North Bay and becomes a Torontonian in the comic.

anyway! anybody spot the crew around town?

No, he's Canadian. He was born in London and lived in North Bay before moving to Toronto. He lives in Asheville, North Carolina now because his wife is an American and that's where she's from.

I wonder if The Bridge and The Listener will follow Flashpoint's lead and be deliberately ambiguous about the city it takes place in. I've only seen a couple episodes but I've never heard them mention Toronto or Canada once, even in the one where they're working with customs at Pearson. The CTV description of that episode even said "the team must protect a killer returning to the US" or something like that. It's too bad, because it's a show that could really be defined by its city. Think of Law & Order with New York or CSI Miami. Hell, even The Office with Slough and Scranton (and nearby New York/London). But it seems the network doesn't want to alienate American viewers.

I look forward to the day when a major tv show or movie being set in Toronto is routine rather than something to get excited about.

I wonder if The Bridge and The Listener will follow Flashpoint's lead and be deliberately ambiguous about the city it takes place in. I've only seen a couple episodes but I've never heard them mention Toronto or Canada once, even in the one where they're working with customs at Pearson. The CTV description of that episode even said "the team must protect a killer returning to the US" or something like that. It's too bad, because it's a show that could really be defined by its city. Think of Law & Order with New York or CSI Miami. Hell, even The Office with Slough and Scranton (and nearby New York/London). But it seems the network doesn't want to alienate American viewers.

Yeah, I don't understand why they don't just come out and say it. They don't avoid showing the CN Tower, the team wears little Canadian flags on their uniforms, they call each other 'Constable'... and there are another million and one hints that it's in Toronto. I'm sure American viewers have picked up by now that it's not set in the US, but I can't believe that it matters all that much to them.

has anybody seen any filming around town?

from edgar wright's photoblog, it seems production has mostly been taking place at filmport.

i'll be creeping around queen west and the annex with a watchful eye.

Last edited:
alright, i'm channeling my inner urbandreamer here, because i'm curious.

what toronto street is this? looks like this is knives chau's school. obviously they were filming a few weeks ago, because there hasn;t been that much snow on the ground for a long time.

edit! actually, that could very well be fake snow, considering the cabbagetown shoot, but i doubt it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgarwright/3440300078/

Last edited:
re: the bus...cool, but in a Toronto film I want to see streetcars everywhere! In the Eaton Centre, trolling through St. Lawrence market--I want the world to say holy cow, Toronto has streetcars, that's so cool!!

re: the bus...cool, but in a Toronto film I want to see streetcars everywhere! In the Eaton Centre, trolling through St. Lawrence market--I want the world to say holy cow, Toronto has streetcars, that's so cool!!

i'm sure streetcars will play a prominent role. they show up in the comics pretty often and they will be filming in chinatown and queen west.

check out the retro TTC bus inside the studios of filmport (april 21st photoblog)! they also had one at carlton and parliament when they were filming.

http://edgarwrighthere.com/category/daily-photo/

Interesting to note that it was all fake snow. I they filmed that only recently, and there was no natural snow at all. Holy cow, if that was produced by the snow machine they were using on Parliament, that would take a whole lotta ice.

Also of note is that Kevin Drew from "broken social scene" is in some of the pictures.

Back