News   Jul 12, 2024
 839     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 752     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

Scott Pilgrim film takes on Toronto!

Being filmed locally and with local talent, I bought the DVD. I tried watching it, I tried liking it, but three separate times I just couldn't.

It's one of those movies that if you like it.....you love it......it will probably have a small cult following in the future.
I can understand why some people don't like it but to me it's in my top 20 list.

Even if you don't get the humour, even if you don't like the acting, and even if the action is just too much for you, I'd ask you to think about its technical merit.

The transitions in this film are so flawless that you don't even notice them upon first viewing. And that is a compliment. If you pay attention to them however, you'll realize how difficult they are to plan and execute. Consider, for example, how a shot filmed from a car acting as a dolly has to move at the exact same speed of camera moving along a track in a subsequent shot. Consider the composition of both shots and how they exist separately and how they compliment each other. Moreover, the choreography and comedic timing of the actors within these two shots has to be spot on.

The colour palette of this film is also inspired. Notice how, as the film becomes more outrageous and emotional, the palette becomes less and less saturated. Colours and lighting in this film always correspond to the emotional state of the main character.

And there are many, many other technical things of note, but you know, I get a little excited.

That movie just wasn't very good IMHO. I also tried to like it, but just couldn't.

However, the other movie that was partially filmed in Toronto that I saw recently, I really liked: Kick-Ass

This is the grungy donut shop on Kingston Road in The Beaches area.

3e02ab834248b1b9963690069532.jpeg

I wonder if they stay in business by catering to the hungry pot-smokers who supposedly buy their stuff behind it.

Back