745     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 214     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 289     0 

Scott Pilgrim film takes on Toronto!

This one was a beauty...

2009_11_09finalshot.jpg

This was by far one of the funniest and quirkiest movies I've seen in a long time. Just hilarious and so original. I know some hated it but my friend and I just couldn't stop laughing. And that bi-furious fight just had me rolling on the ground.

Here with another budget-justifying update for SPVTW.

Remember, the film's budget was $85,000,000. After tax rebates the film's budget was $60,000,000.

SPVTW has grossed $15,513,283 in international markets, bringing its worldwide gross to $47,037,558. The film has currently made $5,445,267 in North American DVD sales. Considering [1] a mild surge in DVD sales given the holiday season, [2] international DVD sales, and [3] the compounded revenue generated from other merchandise (video games, music, toys, etc...), this film may just make back its budget this calendar year. Take that cynical alarmists who deemed SPVTW a failure!

2009_11_09pizzapizza.jpg

source: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2010/SPILG.php

Here with another budget-justifying update for SPVTW.

Remember, the film's budget was $85,000,000. After tax rebates the film's budget was $60,000,000.

SPVTW has grossed $15,513,283 in international markets, bringing its worldwide gross to $47,037,558. The film has currently made $5,445,267 in North American DVD sales. Considering [1] a mild surge in DVD sales given the holiday season, [2] international DVD sales, and [3] the compounded revenue generated from other merchandise (video games, music, toys, etc...), this film may just make back its budget this calendar year. Take that cynical alarmists who deemed SPVTW a failure!

source: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2010/SPILG.php

I loved SP, I'm a fan and bought the blu-ray so I'm not trying to burst your bubble but breaking even is by no means going to make studio execs. any happier about the performance of this film. Unless some miracle happens in the next year or so and it really finds it's crowd, this film is a bomb. General rule of thumb, an average Hollywood film has to nearly double it's budget with box office returns to truly break even and start showing a profit. There are a lot of variables that determine when a film truly begins to enter the green zone.

Last edited:
I loved SP, I'm a fan and bought the blu-ray so I'm not trying to burst your bubble but breaking even is by no means going to make studio execs. any happier about the performance of this film. Unless some miracle happens in the next year or so and it really finds it's crowd, this film is a bomb. General rule of thumb, an average Hollywood film has to nearly double it's budget with box office returns to truly break even and start showing a profit. There are a lot of variables that determine when a film truly begins to enter the green zone.

I'll grant that calling SPVTW a financial success is a massive reach. I suppose I'm arguing that the film was not a failure. Time will be kind to the movie. It is true that the Hollywood executives at Universal are massively disappointed, but, the movie was made, it was good, and the director's vision remained unchanged. Nobody can take that away.

I'll grant that calling SPVTW a financial success is a massive reach. I suppose I'm arguing that the film was not a failure. Time will be kind to the movie. It is true that the Hollywood executives at Universal are massively disappointed, but, the movie was made, it was good, and the director's vision remained unchanged. Nobody can take that away.

Keep in mind that the studio only gets a percentage of the film's gross, usually 80-90% depending on the terms and the length of the run plus there were costs to promote the film with TV spots, Internet, print media and flying/lodging the Director and key cast members around the world to promote the picture. Then there's the cost of thousands of 35MM film prints, shipping them to the cinemas from the lab and back to the storage facility, dubbing/subtitling for foreign markets, and on & on so barrytron... SPVTW was a bomb my friend. That SPVTW got made by a great director and terrific cast (in Toronto!), turned out great and entertained those who saw it and who are yet to see it is the big success here and your correct, nobody can take that away. Hopefully as word of mouth travels it will find a whole new enthusiastic audience through PPV/VOD, DVD & Blu-ray that will continue to generate revenues for the film.

Ain't it Cool News lists Scott Pilgrim as one of it's ten best films of 2010. Unfortunately, Jackass 3D is also included which kind of discredits the whole list.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47853

Last edited:

Back