News   Jul 12, 2024
 837     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 751     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 320     0 

Scott Pilgrim film takes on Toronto!

I think this sums it up nicely:

But, in all seriousness, wasn't it something of a grave miscalculation to think that this decidedly autumnal movie would do well in the summer, especially on the same weekend as Expendables, which has enough retro appeal to attract the ironic chunky glasses types and nerds that Pilgrim so depended on? Plus, uh, you know, all those groups of gal friends who would have gone to see the movie if they weren't watching Julia's no carbs left behind field trip. I dunno. It just seems like they would have done a lot better on some October weekend when kids are back in school and bored and looking for something a little edgy, but still entertaining. Ah well.

I don't want to say you're out of touch, but the whole Judd Apatow / Michael Cera / Jack Black / Seth Rogan / Steve Carell regime is extremely popular right now. People aren't going to watch this movie because it's based on a comic. They're going to see it because Michael Cera is in it.

Michael Cera is definitely a "love him or hate him" actor. I'm quite sure the hate him side is far larger at this point. I find him way too overexposed since Arrested Development and Superbad to be of interest.

Last edited:
Michael Cera is not a big movie star. Superbad did well because it was a teen sex comedy, and Juno because it was Oscar-nominated. He's been the lead star in some outright bombs lately - Youth Revolt and Year One. The closest movie to SP in Cera's filmography is Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, and that did about $30 million.

But once again, does it matter if the movie does gangbusters? Most of the non-decrepit movie reviewers liked it (I'm looking at you New Yorker), it was fun and it will become a cult film. The rest is just gravy.

The other thing is that the generation of people who would be into Scott Pilgrim is also the generation that would just as easily download the movie rather than spend $15 to go see it. Not to say that that would account for the low return, but I would argue it's a factor.

I'm devastated by the lacklustre B.O numbers. Toronto had an opportunity to become the new Mecca for comic book nerds everywhere. We're fast running out of chances to become a true alpha city.

I'm devastated by the lacklustre B.O numbers. Toronto had an opportunity to become the new Mecca for comic book nerds everywhere. We're fast running out of chances to become a true alpha city.

I hope this is hyperbole. The comic book nerds love it - that's not the problem. Comic book nerds by themselves do not a successful box office make.

If Scott Pilgrim was our only chance to be a "true alpha city" then we were always sunk. One movie doesn't make a city.

I think people sort of don't understand how these things work. Taste-makers like Toronto. The general population of America doesn't really care cause most Americans generally don't give much thought to the rest of the world (hence the low proportion of Americans who have valid passports.) It takes years and years of bombardment from various directions before people outside of a particular city get an idea of that city. If we have a chance at being a "true" alpha city - and how will that designation in any way change our lives? - it will take years before it solidifies into anything real. Give it time.

There's still the Pan Am Games!

I'm also disappointed but inclined to agree with those who think it will be a cult fave in years to come.
It wasn't all I dreamed but it's not a bad movie.
As others have noted, it wasn't a name cast and it was a bit of a niche product to begin with...but with all the working and good word of mouth (fanboys and real critics) it seemed like it would/should do better.

There were sooo many Toronto visual references! The bus (I guess that's easier to film than a streetcar?) to Cabbagetown, the bay-and-gable homes, Lee's Palace, the Rockit, Sonic Boom, the Second Cup, etc. The moment where Lucas Lee punches Scott through the NY backdrop and the CN Tower pops through was a nice detail. Some of my favorite set pieces weren't included, like Ramona and Knives' fight in the Reference Library, but overall I was glad they didn't turn the movie into a "Visit Toronto's Landmarks" movie. The references are all organic and make sense.

Yes, I guess you're right about that. There were many smaller references to be sure.

At the end of the day it was a pretty good movie and I am certainly not within the target market :-? Perhaps word of mouth will do good things.

Just saw it, loved the movie but felt like Toronto could have had a better role.

Definitely subtle references throughout the movie that nobody but Torontonians would pick up on.

I hope this is hyperbole. .

Iz hyperbole. I'm so far out of that age group that I'm practically a different life form, so its failure/success means little to me, though I'm pleased it may become the gamer generation's Big Lebowski.

I'm afraid Toronto will have to remain content with its beta status until James Bond decapitates one of his charming villains on an edge of the ROM Crystal.

What an amazing movie. It was a predictable box office bomb though since 95% of the population hates Michael Cera and the advertisements did an extremely poor job of conveying what type of movie it is.

Last edited:
From Simon Pegg's twitter account:

Scott Pilgrim is the best f**king film I have seen in a long f**king time & not cos @edgarwright is my friend its cos he's a f**king genius!

It might have some legs over in Europe.

I saw this yesterday...so amazing.

As to whether this movie puts Toronto on the map for those outside of Toronto, I choose to look at it from Toronto's perspective itself...I believe this will be a landmark in Toronto culture and taking ourselves seriously which is a great thing. Some cool Toronto patriotism if that makes sense. We should all wear Scott Pilgrim t-shirts and make it our version of "I <3 NY" so when people visit they have no idea.

Back