News   Mar 28, 2024
 259     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 241     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 282     0 

Scotiabank Cinema

You beat me to it. So far all the IMAX theatres here are legit IMAX.
These quasi-IMAX screens (but charging IMAX prices) have been a growing trend in the USA and I suspect this is precisely what AMC is building.
It's a rip-off for consumers and a a degradation of the IMAX brand.

This week's Now Magazine reveals the truth behind AMC & IMAX's deceptive practices with their new "LIEMAX" screens. Movie-goer, beware.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/movies/story.cfm?content=177557

Scotiabank's Ultra Avx is opening this Friday. Last weekend, construction workers were busy installing new seats that were arrived from Mexico and now installing the screen, Cineplex style carpeting. They raised the false ceiling to make auditorium to appear larger.

Last edited:
Scotiabank's Ultra Avx is opening this Friday. Last weekend, construction workers were busy installing new seats that were arrived from Mexico and now installing the screen, Cineplex style carpeting. They raised the false ceiling to make auditorium to appear larger.

I like the idea of ETX (AMC), Ultra AVX (Cineplex) RPX (Regal Cinemas) etc., it's not misleading the public like new digital IMAX installations. I remember the first time I went to the Scotiabank IMAX (then Paramount) and thinking how much smaller their IMAX screen was from Cinesphere, Niagara Falls etc and now these new digital IMAX screens are only a dozen or so feet wider than larger screens found throughout the city.
So Cast_Member, about the Ultra AVX at Scotiabank, are these reserved seats? Will there actually be any staff to help people find their seats? 2K, 4K or 35MM projection? I'm really curious what your impressions are of the whole experience once this installation is up and running. I liked the ETX auditorium that I was in at AMC but I thought that the sound system was lacking.

hmm ... how much smaller is scotia bank's Imax screen compared to Ontario place (or anywhere for that matter) I didn't think it was that much smaller ...

It may be smaller then say the science center's screen but those are specials cases.

hmm ... how much smaller is scotia bank's Imax screen compared to Ontario place (or anywhere for that matter) I didn't think it was that much smaller ...

It may be smaller then say the science center's screen but those are specials cases.

I had the stats. back then but not anymore. Cinesphere is about 20 feet wider and about 30 feet higher (roughly, I'm going by memory) than Scotiabank's IMAX screen. The screen at the Science Centre isn't an IMAX screen, it's an Omnimax screen which is a deeply curved large screen process that never really succeeded due the few number of films that were produced using this process. Too bad, it can be very effective when proper films are played on it's screens. I saw an IMAX film played on an Omnimax screen in Las Vegas some years ago, it was a disaster.

I like the idea of ETX (AMC), Ultra AVX (Cineplex) RPX (Regal Cinemas) etc., it's not misleading the public like new digital IMAX installations. I remember the first time I went to the Scotiabank IMAX (then Paramount) and thinking how much smaller their IMAX screen was from Cinesphere, Niagara Falls etc and now these new digital IMAX screens are only a dozen or so feet wider than larger screens found throughout the city.
So Cast_Member, about the Ultra AVX at Scotiabank, are these reserved seats? Will there actually be any staff to help people find their seats? 2K, 4K or 35MM projection? I'm really curious what your impressions are of the whole experience once this installation is up and running. I liked the ETX auditorium that I was in at AMC but I thought that the sound system was lacking.

Not so sure about the staff though, but what I saw, it will be reserved seating. At box office and guest services, computer monitors already set up for Ultra AVX. The senior operations manager told me, Cineplex is using the most powerful projectors and I assumed it must be 4K projection. The Ultra AVX auditorium will have a Dolby 7.1 channel surround system. Cineplex got rid of a few rows that were in front of the screen.

I think the Ultra AVX at the Scotiabank is going to be a success judging by the rave reviews and plus the theatre is going to stay a little bit longer by luring back patrons from AMC.

Last edited:
Not so sure about the staff though, but what I saw, it will be reserved seating. At box office and guest services, computer monitors already set up for Ultra AVX. The senior operations manager told me, Cineplex is using the most powerful projectors and I assumed it must be 4K projection. The Ultra AVX auditorium will have a Dolby 7.1 channel surround system. Cineplex got rid of a few rows that were in front of the screen.

I think the Ultra AVX at the Scotiabank is going to be a success judging by the rave reviews and plus the theatre is going to stay a little bit longer by luring back patrons from AMC.

What d you mean a little while longer ? Is the theatre doing bad now overall after AMC opened ?

I really dislike going to the AMC, I'm not quite sure why - a variety of factors so I much prefer this theater.

According to Wikipedia the Cinesphere screen is 80 feet (24 m) wide by 60 feet (18 m) high.
The Scotiabank/Colossus screens are big, but not that big.
I think they feel smaller because the Cinesphere room is so much bigger. The Cineplex theatres can't be more than half as big but I've never felt they aren't "real IMAX."
I haven't experienced these new Faux-IMAX formats but obviously a lot of people will be suckered in by the marketing.

I can't wait to see a film in there, thanks for the info. Post your impressions when you've had a chance to check it out!
I myself am a bigger fan of Varsity & AMC than Scotiabank, it's a 50-50 shot that when I'm at Scotiabank there's some sort of a technical problem which drives me bonkers plus Scotiabank is further away from my home. AMC has good sound but it's not great sound like Scotiabank (when there isn't a blown speaker fluttering) but the digital picture is better at AMC and so should the sound being uncompressed digital sound, I'm guessing the speakers or amps. aren't up for the job. The Regent and Royal are also excellent cinemas for picture, sound and ambiance. Must mention Toronto Underground & Bloor cinemas too, tons of ambiance in cool nabes. They don't always have the best sound or picture but the price, audiences, vibe and great programming more than make up for it.

What d you mean a little while longer ? Is the theatre doing bad now overall after AMC opened ?

I really dislike going to the AMC, I'm not quite sure why - a variety of factors so I much prefer this theater.

Scotiabank is going to stay. I just feel business is slow at the Scotiabank since AMC opened.

I can't wait to see a film in there, thanks for the info. Post your impressions when you've had a chance to check it out!
I myself am a bigger fan of Varsity & AMC than Scotiabank, it's a 50-50 shot that when I'm at Scotiabank there's some sort of a technical problem which drives me bonkers plus Scotiabank is further away from my home. AMC has good sound but it's not great sound like Scotiabank (when there isn't a blown speaker fluttering) but the digital picture is better at AMC and so should the sound being uncompressed digital sound, I'm guessing the speakers or amps. aren't up for the job. The Regent and Royal are also excellent cinemas for picture, sound and ambiance. Must mention Toronto Underground & Bloor cinemas too, tons of ambiance in cool nabes. They don't always have the best sound or picture but the price, audiences, vibe and great programming more than make up for it.

I am not a fan of Scotiabank or the original Silvercities since they cater to teenagers, I am too old and it is not my taste. I think it is great Toronto have more choice on indepedent theatres. I think the problem lies with training of new projectionists and probably students should given more time to get used to threading film properly. Unionized projectionists still being employed by Cineplex. In my opinion, Cineplex should reopen a school for projectionists for older theatres.

Last edited:
Cineplex has already begin to have their staff patrolling the Scotiabank theatre for anti piracy measures and other disturbances. Also checking for sound and picture quality for each theatre. They will go up and down the stairs for every 30 minutes during the screening.

As for my personal opinion on the Ultra AVX, it is very loud and the picture quality is slightly brighter then a regular digital projector.

Last edited:
After seeing Harry Potter at the "Imax" at AMC Yonge/Dundas, I must say that I could actually see the pixels at times and it drove me nuts. I chose Scotia over AMC at every opportunity or go to the dreaded kid-happy Queensway location instead.

Scotiabank and all IMAX theatrical venues are going (or have gone) digital so get used to it, Scotiabank's IMAX screen has already been made smaller to make the digital look less crappy. Cinemas that had IMAX film projectors are keeping them for now, "The Dark Knight Rises" will most likely be the last IMAX theatrical feature shown using IMAX film. I read that Christopher Nolan insisted on it and had it written into his contract that it would not be shown using the IMAX digital system - only film, guess he doesn't like the pixels either.

Just small news today. The Imax theatre beginning today will have assigned seating just like Ultra AVX.

Also on the same day Coke will introduce their new self serve Freestyle soda fountains that were only available in the U.S. at the theatre were the Burger King used to be. Scotiabank Theatre for the time being is the only Canadian location that serve cherry Coke and Pibb ( Coke's version of Dr Pepper ). The existing soda fountains will be rip out from the counters.

Back