News   Apr 26, 2024
 170     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 165     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 599     0 

Scotiabank Arena (Air Canada Centre) Renovations

Most venue name changes garner little more than some signage updates, seems Scotiabank has really gone all in on this one as well as the arena owner's themselves capitalizing as a quick refresh to the building.
Yes MLSE is very fortunate to have BNS. BNS sourced out the finest state of the art signage available that is multi functional. It's going to be nice.

The new screen is nice, but it would be nicer to get a proper, safer PATH connection.
New PATH connection seems slightly more than a refresh, but agreed - the entrance/exits have always been a real nightmare and need to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Anybody know the impetus for the full-scale re-cladding? The original silver-steel look appeared to be perfectly fine unless that cladding was at the end of its lifespan.

I prefer the black, which is a much needed contrast from all the grey and greyish blue of Southcore.

20190923_120300.jpg

^MLSE does; it's their cash cow where they milk money from fans willing to put up with that kind of 52 year record.

MLSE...should look at making the entire area upto to York Street a pedestrian zone. I am sure there is a way to move the parking entrances to a different location for both Telus and Maple Leaf Square and then create a Freemont Style Canopy over the entire area upto York Street.

This will give the area shelter from the elements, allow monetization as they can project ads and sponsors and create a great new public space.

MLSE...should look at making the entire area upto to York Street a pedestrian zone. I am sure there is a way to move the parking entrances to a different location for both Telus and Maple Leaf Square and then create a Freemont Style Canopy over the entire area upto York Street.

This will give the area shelter from the elements, allow monetization as they can project ads and sponsors and create a great new public space.

I know the layout of Maple Leaf Square well. You cannot move the parking entrance for 15 York or 65/55 Bremner Blvd. Currently the entrance sits directly above and beside the Longos grocery store on levels P1 and P2.

If you were to move the entrance it would have to be on York Street to avoid conflict with the buildings loading dock. Moving it to York Street would punch a hole through Longos bakery section along with the new path entrance.

Making Bremner pedestrian only from York to the arena is not feasible. I've seen how angry people get during road closures and those are only temporary.

I know the layout of Maple Leaf Square well. You cannot move the parking entrance for 15 York or 65/55 Bremner Blvd. Currently the entrance sits directly above and beside the Longos grocery store on levels P1 and P2.

If you were to move the entrance it would have to be on York Street to avoid conflict with the buildings loading dock. Moving it to York Street would punch a hole through Longos bakery section along with the new path entrance.

Making Bremner pedestrian only from York to the arena is not feasible. I've seen how angry people get during road closures and those are only temporary.

Condos on Wellesley have their parking garages completely blocked for 3 days during Pride. If we can close a whole street of building's parking garages for a festival, im sure MLSE can arrange to close off that portion of Bremner for a few hours.

Also, loading entrance for Telus, MLS, and the ACC are all on Lake Shore.

Last edited:

That sucks. Thats a huge missed opportunity to truly create a great outdoor area without having to share it with Cars.

All new arenas in NBA such as Chase center in San Francisco are now copying what Toronto did by installing a TV outside and a huge outdoor plaza where fans can watch games.

Condos on Wellesley have their parking garages completely blocked for 3 days during Pride. If we can close a whole street of building's parking garages for a festival, im sure MLSE can arrange to close off that portion of Bremner for a few hours.

Actually it is MLSE, The City of Toronto that arranged for things to be this way after discussion with local stakeholders such as TSCC 2130, CF and Menkes.

The City of Toronto mandated one lane of traffic remaining open into and in front of Maple Leaf Square (15 York and 65/55 Bremner). The concern was access in an emergency. They needed to ensure that in an emergency either at the arena, condo or office tower they could gain access. Also event parking for the arena is at 15 and 25 York but primarily 15 York.

What most people don't know is that in an emergency the CACF room for 15 York and the condo is located on Bremner. If alarms start going off emergency officials need to be able to access it quickly. You can't do that if it is closed to vehicles.

Back