News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 414     0 

Scarborough-Malvern LRT

Surely the priority of the Transit City lines shouldn't be determined by a 2-week sporting event in the summer when transit usage is already lower.

I'd think the Don Mills route should have higher priority than this one; and possibly Jane as well.

The swimming pool is on this line and will now be built because of the games.

The swimming pool is on this line and will now be built because of the games.
So we should prioritize this line, other a much more heavily used one, so a few spectators don't have to use the bus for 2 weeks one summer?

I have not seen any kind of official promise to build this line sooner if we got the games, just rumors. I don't see any real need to build it sooner because of the games, but it would be nice to have in operation rather than under construction during the event.

The facility at UofT Scarborough is more than an aquatic centre. The Canadian Sports Institute of Ontario is a multi-sport centre which will provide interdisciplinary training, sport science, state-of-the-art equipment, sport medicine and advanced coaching to athletes striving to improve their performance and competitive results. It will be a long term employer and host of many events in the future. In addition the campus population is expected to continue to grow and the ridership Eglinton East and Kingston road provide will probably make this LRT route viable.

I noticed that the plans for the Scarborough Malvern LRT call for a connection to the Sheppard LRT at Sheppard/Don Mills, and a turnback track at UTSC. This means that only a short section of the LRT at the north end, between UTSC and Sheppard needs to be built for the Pan Am Games (assuming that the Sheppard LRT is built) and then trains could be run from Don Mills/Sheppard to UTSC. If the government were short on money, the rest of the line could be delayed until a future date.

Surely the priority of the Transit City lines shouldn't be determined by a 2-week sporting event in the summer when transit usage is already lower.

I'd think the Don Mills route should have higher priority than this one; and possibly Jane as well.

I totally agree with your statement and I hope Giambrone and company understand that as well.

The EA for the Scarborough-Malvern LRT has the following dates mentioned:

• Commencement of Design 2022
  • Commencement of Construction 2023
  • Project Completion 2027
  • Scheduled Revenue Service 2028

...unless the Pan-Am Games result in the dates moving up the completion to 2015.

Um, surely you mean 2012, 2013, 2017 and 2018, right?? (Aren't all TC lines supposed to be finished by 2018?)

And for the record, I think this will indeed be prioritized and fast tracked for several reasons, mostly related to politics and presenting a certain image of the city.

Last edited:
Aren't all TC lines supposed to be finished by 2018?
The FAQ for the Scarborough-Malvern says 2019 ... and the latest Etobicoke RT newsletter says completion 2020 for that route.

But it's all conditional on funding; unless someone comes up with the $ then it will wait, and wait, and wait.

Scarborough-Malvern LRT is the only Transit City project in the Metrolinx Big Move 25 year plan of projects to be completed by 2032. All the other Transit City projects are in the Big Move 15 year plan although it seems the Waterfront West LRT has been moved to the 25 year plan as well based on the latest information.

It was stated today at Metrolinx meeting, there is no money to build this line at this time.

Metrolinx is looking at the option of build a section of it from Sheppard south to the pool to see if it can be done within the current budget.

Metrolinx position is that this line was not in the bid book for the games and therefore no need to build it at this time.

It looks like this project might be getting a second wind of life into it.

Report from Globe and Mail:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ay-plan-includes-fewer-stops/article28280303/

"Combined with other changes related to Mayor John Tory’s SmartTrack plan, the idea offers the prospect of an LRT eventually running from Pearson International Airport in the west to the U of T Scarborough campus in the east."

Not guaranteed that this would follow the exact same route, but it for sure seems like a possibility.

This seems to be the week that Transit City rose from the dead.

Update: Apparently the Scarborough-Malvern LRT, and all its is 17 stops are rising from the grave.

v47dIOI.png

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/689872080876232704

Back