News   Jun 03, 2024
 906     4 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 648     1 

Scarborough-Malvern LRT

A few points from what I remember,

new bridge for the LRT line east of the current one on Morningside over the ravine, (south of Ellesmere)

at least 3-4 locations for centre storage tracks,

bus loop shown for kingston road BRT, meets a centre platform stop at KR and eglinton,

Westbound eglinton at KR realigned in a more east-west direction. with LRT and BRT facilities located between the east and westbound lanes, and north of KR

new left turn lanes from KR to lawrence in both directions.

a triple platform station at UTSC
Oops. Forgot about the meetings. :(

Were there any handouts that you could scan for us? I'm having a hard time visualizing your descriptions. Otherwise, we'll just have to wait for the PDFs.

P.S. Was there any discussion about the proximity of the line to Guildwood GO? From the maps it looks like one would have to get off the LRT at Kingston, and then walk a considerable distance to the GO station. Not a big deal when the weather is good, but it would be a big pain in bad weather, and that would continue to keep the TTC and GO functionally separate.

It would make some practical sense to construct an underground station facility at Guildwood GO Stn (via entering/exiting a portal on either side of the bridge structure) to allow for a direct transfer, but that would skyrocket the costs. If people are forced to walk it in all the way from Celeste/Kingston Rd it will suck though.

I'd imagine however that most direct TTC to GO transferring could occur at the Eglinton-Bellamy stop whereby a cross-platform interchange should be possible @the eastern end of the station.

Pretty sure the stop at Guildwood is just a regular stop at KR and celeste, I wouldn't say it is that far of a walk to the go platform, it would be nice if it could be brought closer, but that would be expensive.

I think the stop at eglinton and bellamy is a centre platfrom on the west side of the intersection, so there would not be a direct stair way up to the GO platform, there would likely not be enough room on the east side for a platfrom due to road width.

What's the reason this isn't continuous with Eglinton LRT? Are they worried it would become too unweildy? Or do they think most people coming up here will be coming from B-D subway anyway, so it won't be a big deal?

The project page has been updated with the display panels from the latest meetings,

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/malvern_lrt/index.htm
Thx.

LRT_ROW.png

SC-Malvern_LRT.png

They say that vehicular capacity will be greatly reduced because of the loss of the one lane. That won't always be the case. For example, in some areas one lane is essentially always empty of cars, as it is reserved for buses and car pools of 3 or more people... but almost nobody car pools with 3 or more people there. So in those stretches, not much will change, except that transit capacity will increase.

How much of the study area will get hid hard in terms of car traffic?

^ There's no bus lanes on Morningside or eastern portions of Kingston Road in Scarborough to the best of my knowledge. And I don't think Eglinton has bus/carpool lanes in Scarborough either. If it does I haven't noticed. So there will most certainly be a reduction in road capacity.

Eglinton does have bus/carpool lanes, all the way across to Markham Road from Leslie (there's some intermittent bus lanes from Allen to Bermondsey, IIRC). Though all are rush hours only.

^ I stand corrected. Nevertheless, for the majority of the alignment prior to Morningside there will be a reduction in road capacity. Even if the bus/carpool lanes are re-allocated to the LRT it still means that there's a reduction in road capacity (those drivers are now back in regular lanes). Not that I mind....I am willing to trade carpool lanes for LRT. For Morningside, I guess there's no difference.

Last edited:
Although Kingston Road does not have HOV lanes, I have noticed drivers will usually avoid the right hand lane to avoid getting stuck behind buses.

It was mentioned in the presentation documents that taking one of three lanes and converting it to LRT will increase the people carrying capacity of the road by about 40%

I notice that there are bus only lanes in the Kingston/Morningside/Lawrence triangle. Also, there is a large bus platform east of Morningside in the centre of Kingston. That platform connects to the LRT platform via a pedestrian crossing in the middle of the Kingston/Morningside intersection. That's a first! It will be freaky to cross at the middle of a suburban intersection like that (cutting across an LRT track no less).

Looks like there will be some higher order transit (not necessarily BRT) on Kingston east of Morningside. Could this be the beginnings of a Durham Transit Terminal? I haven't seen any plans for the Sheppart East LRT terminal at Meadowvale Road and there seems to be nothing planned at Sheppard and Morningside.

Does anyone have any more info? There should be some connection between Durham buses (or potential BRT) and the Transit City LRT network.

Last edited:
Councillor wants new LRT line to connect with GO

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...or-wants-new-lrt-line-to-connect-with-go.aspx

Councillor Michael Thompson (Scarborough Centre) will voice his concern to the Toronto Transit Commission tomorrow that the proposed route for the new Scarborough-Malvern light rail line doesn’t come close enough to the Guildwood GO Station.

Mr. Thompson said as proposed, the route would require TTC passengers to walk a fair distance from Kingston Road to the GO Station and vice versa.

He said it would make more sense to the streetcar to duck in and drop people off.

“From my perspective they should be looking to create a hub here,†Mr. Thompson said.

The TTC will tomorrow consider an environmental assessment for the Scarborough-Malvern line, which is part of the Transit City light rail plan.

The route would travel from Kennedy subway station to Sheppard Avenue East, via Eglinton Avenue, Kingston Road, Morningside Avenue, Ellesmere Road and Military Trail.

The line would include stops at the Scarborough campus of the University of Toronto and Guildwood GO station would be among the nearest rail lines to Centennial College’s planned site at the Guild Inn.

Creating a proper hub that makes transferring between train, bus and streetcar as simple as possible, will not only improve transit ridership and allow residents of Scarborough to get around with ease but perhaps even spur economic development, Mr Thompson said.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...or-wants-new-lrt-line-to-connect-with-go.aspx

Councillor Michael Thompson (Scarborough Centre) will voice his concern to the Toronto Transit Commission tomorrow that the proposed route for the new Scarborough-Malvern light rail line doesn’t come close enough to the Guildwood GO Station.

Mr. Thompson said as proposed, the route would require TTC passengers to walk a fair distance from Kingston Road to the GO Station and vice versa.

He said it would make more sense to the streetcar to duck in and drop people off.

“From my perspective they should be looking to create a hub here,†Mr. Thompson said.

The TTC will tomorrow consider an environmental assessment for the Scarborough-Malvern line, which is part of the Transit City light rail plan.

The route would travel from Kennedy subway station to Sheppard Avenue East, via Eglinton Avenue, Kingston Road, Morningside Avenue, Ellesmere Road and Military Trail.

The line would include stops at the Scarborough campus of the University of Toronto and Guildwood GO station would be among the nearest rail lines to Centennial College’s planned site at the Guild Inn.

Creating a proper hub that makes transferring between train, bus and streetcar as simple as possible, will not only improve transit ridership and allow residents of Scarborough to get around with ease but perhaps even spur economic development, Mr Thompson said.

that's actually a very good idea.

Could someone explain to me why this is starting at Kennedy station instead of Main St. or Victoria Park? Is it to lower the travel time?

Could someone explain to me why this is starting at Kennedy station instead of Main St. or Victoria Park? Is it to lower the travel time?
Cuz the Eglinton Cross Town LRT ends at Kennedy.

From Eglinton (easternmost tip) to Vic. Park will be BRT, along Kingston Road.

Back