674     1 
News   Aug 29, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Aug 29, 2024
 550     1 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems reasonable ... though it's 1.2 km from Hurontario to Confederation and then about 900 metres to Mavis. Is that the right spacing? Should there be another station half-way between Confederation and Hurontario? Instead of down Burnhamthorpe, should it turn north up to the City Centre Transitway station?

Each station is close to 150m long so a station at Confederation would probably have entrances on both Living Arts and Confederation. Spacing makes sense at 1km for initial construction. Another station could be put in at Mavis and mid-way between Duke of York and Kariya in the future if ridership at Confederation and Hurontario show it might be warranted much like North York station was constructed after development made it necessary. Another station could also be put in later at Tomken/Stanfield. These extra stations being built on day one would probably only serve to drive up the initial price and create a greater obstacle to acceptance.

Fair enough ... but shouldn't it link to the Transitway? Even if it loops north to the transitway, and then back south again. A bit out-of-the way, but you only have to look to Montreal, to see how much track can loop around a bit going from point A to B.

Instead of down Burnhamthorpe, should it turn north up to the City Centre Transitway station?

The transit terminal is poorly positioned for serving anything other than the mall. The freeway limits one whole side of the catchment area for any station north of Square One. All the one floor restaurants and stores surrounded by parking lots are being built next to the freeway. All the density is being built on Burnhamthorpe. Burnhamthorpe has more potential in the future between Erindale and Mavis as well. The rest of the area can be handled by the bus routes which will never be in short supply in the hub of the Mississauga transit system.

Fair enough ... but shouldn't it link to the Transitway? Even if it loops north to the transitway, and then back south again. A bit out-of-the way, but you only have to look to Montreal, to see how much track can loop around a bit going from point A to B.

It would probably make more sense to loop buses on the busway than loop the subway. Maybe make Living Arts into a transit mall bringing the busway in and out of Confederation station.

In the distant future it would probably make sense for a transitway station at Erindale since that is where the the GO line crosses the 403. A subway on Burnhamthope could be extended to create a major busway/rail/subway hub. Milton riders could transfer at Erindale onto the subway to get to Mississauga Centre or onto the busway to go to the Airport Corporate Centre and subway riders could transfer onto GO to Milton or busway to Oakville. This should not be the initial plan though.

Last edited:
The transit terminal is poorly positioned for serving anything other than the mall.

The transit terminal is positioned to connect to the transitway, which will be used by a huge number of regional GO and express MT buses.

A station at Hurontario and Rathburn would make far more sense. Any transit line in MCC, whether it be regular bus, LRT, or subway should connect to the transitway somewhere.

I like the idea of hitting Confederation/Parkside Village. The route is a well-thought out route, hitting Sherway at West Mall, and Dixie/Dundas before continuing along Dundas then using the park in Mississauga Valley to head north. I'm not too sure about missing Hurontario and Dundas though. Although to be honest I'm not sure the best method to approach the Hurontario & Dundas issue. It's the most important intersection in the city, yet it's not easily served by a Bloor extension. I think in an ideal world, I'd have a subway along Hurontario and another one along Dundas. But I'd settle for your plan. Though I'd at least add a station at Tomken, and maybe one other.

I'm not too sure about missing Hurontario and Dundas though. Although to be honest I'm not sure the best method to approach the Hurontario & Dundas issue. It's the most important intersection in the city, yet it's not easily served by a Bloor extension.

I've also always felt that it would be awkward to miss Hurontario & Dundas with any potential Bloor extension or GO upgrade, but I'm really starting to doubt it'll be as important in the future as it seems today, especially in a rapid transit context. I'm not even sure it's that important today, to be honest. It's mostly a transfer point as far as I can tell.

Central Cooksville may seem more 'urban' now, but consider what MCC will likely look like in only a few years' time, let alone a decade.

Local transit on both Hurontario and Dundas will still be there.

Last edited:
I've also always felt that it would be awkward to miss Hurontario & Dundas with any potential Bloor extension or GO upgrade, but I'm really starting to doubt it'll be as important in the future as it seems today, especially in a rapid transit context. I'm not even sure it's that important today, to be honest. It's mostly a transfer point as far as I can tell.

Central Cooksville may seem more 'urban' now, but consider what MCC will likely look like in only a few years' time, let alone a decade.

Local transit on both Hurontario and Dundas will still be there.

I disagree. I think Hurontario & Dundas's importance will only increase. The whole area is ripe for intensification. The only problem is that it's too busy to intensify without rapid transit. Once the Hurontario LRT is built, it'll alleviate some of that pressure, but that's only on the north-south axis. East-west, the Mississauga Transitway is far too north and won't help any Dundas riders. Plus the Transitway misses major streets making it a pain to get to. E.g. it doesn't connect with Erindale/Creditview, which is unacceptable, since the 38 will have no way to connect to the BRT.

Dundas and Hurontario will both have higher order transit on them. On Dundas the LRT line could start at Cawthra rather than running all the way to Kipling. A regular bus route could handle Cawthra to Kipling. Eventually the Hurontario LRT might need to go underground.

when is the transit way supposed to open? Seems like funding was announced years ago. Why is this busway taking so long to be built?

when is the transit way supposed to open? Seems like funding was announced years ago. Why is this busway taking so long to be built?

It's in its own ROW in the eastern portion, so it's taking as long as an LRT on rubber.

so what's the estimated year of opening? 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back