1.7K     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.4K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 574     0 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it have to be a comprehensive plan? Maybe it would be easier to focus on something simple - a mission statement like "SaveOurSubways' goal is to see the Sheppard subway completed through Agincourt to Scarborough Town Centre."

Your arguments could be: Ridership (talk about Sheppard's ridership in relation to other subways around the world), Revenue (STC as a destination; development potential along the route) and Legacy (The SELRT's biggest downside is that it will impose a transfer between the LRT and the Subway that could realistically be in place for generations.)

Now you're focused. You've got a mission statement your whole group can agree upon (probably). And you avoid the potentially perilous trap of getting into arguments about the overall virtues of LRT. Plus, you can sell it as an enhancement to TC (because there's theoretically still room for LRT on Sheppard E).

The other stuff could be secondary.

IIRC you weren't on our side, but you've made a good suggestion in this post. Thanks :)

Can we recruit you? :p

^ I second. Thanks for the sincere advice GM.

It can be a bit tough to herd people into consensus sometimes. But we are plodding along.

I'm not on your side at all, really. (I'm neutral on the specifics of Sheppard.) But I'm a big supporter of organized community activism that presents workable alternatives. My worry with TC opposition has always been that it's divisive and could just lead to another few decades of frozen transit expansion in Toronto. The SaveOurSubways thing at least seems like an honest attempt to be pragmatic and work within political realities.

The members of SOS, of all people, would like nothing less than transit expansion frozen in Toronto. If anything, we might be a little too ambitious and overzealous. That's why we have to focus. That's why our energies have to be focussed on STC and Sheppard and Danforth meeting there.

You brought up Sheppard's ridership in comparison to other subway lines. On top of that, ridership would go up more as a subway than as an LRT (according to the Metrolinx BCA) and two subways converging at STC would make it a destination and a hub, and not just a backward suburban town centre. Increased ridership means increased revenue and increased land values and taxes and more incentive to build higher along the Sheppard/Danforth corridors converging on STC. And of course eliminating transfers at Don Mills and Kennedy would be amazing.

Victor,

Those posters need to be inverted. Printing that much black can get expensive when we end up printing a thousand posters.

CC is back. Anybody that wants an invite, please PM him. Also, please check your boxes for invites. Some of you have already been invited but have not responded.

Those posters need to be inverted. Printing that much black can get expensive when we end up printing a thousand posters.

Do you have particular printer in mind? I'm not an expert in printing but for general use most printers offer full colour flyers and don't care how much black or other colour do you have. Sure, printing thousands flyers from them will be expensive and we need a printer that offers a low cost only-black printing (and I'm still not sure if they charge for amount of black). Actually we can start with 50 or so flyers, it will be enough to put them on two terminal (Kennedy and Don Mills) and around.

Current design made for a 11.5" x 17.5" poster. It could be expensive to print large amount of them and probably we need just letter-sized 8.5" x 11" flyers.
I'll make the new smaller size design in both black and white version and we'll see how it looks.

Wow, your even more cynical than I am? Why do you think they want transit expansion frozen?

They want nothing less than a transit expansion freeze, not nothing more. We aren't campaigning to grind things to a halt. We are fighting for improvements.

Do you have particular printer in mind? I'm not an expert in printing but for general use most printers offer full colour flyers and don't care how much black or other colour do you have. Sure, printing thousands flyers from them will be expensive and we need a printer that offers a low cost only-black printing (and I'm still not sure if they charge for amount of black). Actually we can start with 50 or so flyers, it will be enough to put them on two terminal (Kennedy and Don Mills) and around.

Current design made for a 11.5" x 17.5" poster. It could be expensive to print large amount of them and probably we need just letter-sized 8.5" x 11" flyers.
I'll make the new smaller size design in both black and white version and we'll see how it looks.

I am envisioning a poster at every bus stop. We don't need them at the stations per se. Plus I don't know how it runs with getting stuff approved to post by the TTC. That's why bus stops are easier.

For now Scarborough and North York have to be the focus....particularly routes heading to/from Don Mills and Kennedy. Down the road we can target other areas.

As for the poster. My dad's a printer. I know from him that printer's charge a lot more if there's a signficant amount of black on the page. That poster might get you dinged double or triple. Mind you for a 1000 copies, you'd need be paying like 3 cents each. Perhaps, you can print some out and get a quote from a print shop in your area. I love the poster. I just know that it might be cost prohibitive. Especially if we are counting on people just running a few off and putting them at bus stops near where they live.

They want nothing less than a transit expansion freeze, not nothing more. We aren't campaigning to grind things to a halt. We are fighting for improvements.
Aren't double negative fun ...

hmm, if I wanted nothing less than the elimination of AIDS, surely I wouldn't be looking for more AIDS cases ...

Oh well, I'm probably wrong ... but I'd recommend not using that phrase in promotional material.

Aren't double negative fun ...

hmm, if I wanted nothing less than the elimination of AIDS, surely I wouldn't be looking for more AIDS cases ...

Oh well, I'm probably wrong ... but I'd recommend not using that phrase in promotional material.

I read it the same way as you. If you want A less than B, then you want B more. So if A is "nothing" and B is a "transit freeze" you are wanting a "transit freeze" more than no change. Probably not a good advertisement slogan since it is equivalent to saying "we want a transit freeze".

I had to pause and think about it before I wrote it, but after thinking about it, it made sense. I'd have to go back and re-read it again and think if it makes sense or not, but I'm too lazy right now.

And Christ, not everything I say is an SOS slogan. Assuming we even had or have slogans.

Should we drop the Jane LRT in favour of an Albion/Weston/Keele or just Weston/Keele alignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back