News   Mar 28, 2024
 72     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Saved Bridge: Hogg's Hollow

No; as is so often the case, a full clo that was parclo'd with 401 widening in the 1960s...

I, for one, would like to see a new bridge built for pedestrians and bicyclists (no cars or trucks, maybe ambulances) that follows the old Yonge Boulevard Viaduct (Hogg's Hollow Bridge) to get from Yonge Street to Avenue Road and Yonge Boulevard. For now, they have to go down the hill (fine) and back up the hill (not fine). The only problem would be the noise and fumes from the 401 traffic.

Just a little nit-picking, if you'll allow me.
Is "Hogg's Hollow" the accepted name for the valley directly under the 401 bridge?
I've always thought of Hogg's Hollow as the section of Yonge near the Jolly Miller (quite a bit south of 401 - at York Mills).

Just a little nit-picking, if you'll allow me.
Is "Hogg's Hollow" the accepted name for the valley directly under the 401 bridge?
I've always thought of Hogg's Hollow as the section of Yonge near the Jolly Miller (quite a bit south of 401 - at York Mills).

The valley section underneath the 401 becomes part of the "Hoggs Hollow" (no apostrophe) neighbourhood by default since it is contiguous with the rest of the actually inhabited part of the hollow...assuming the "hollow" itself has a defined boundary as a geographic feature.

Really, it is all one valley - the Don Valley.

There was a need for it at the time, since York Mills Road and Wilson Avenue didn't meet... which you can see at the bottom; Wilson didn't even come down the hill to meet Yonge.

In the 1878 map of York township, the concession road that is now Wilson followed the route of Mason Blvd & McGlashan Road to get down the hill to Yonge Street. I'm not sure if McGlashan was still a through route in 1947, but you can see it clearly on the aerial photo.

1212398726_40b7ece55e_b.jpg

p.s. according to Google Maps, you can still take McGlashan to get from Mason Blvd to Yonge.

Last edited:
So McGlashan was more than just the quite steep path it is today? Something horses/buggies actually used to get from Wilson to Yonge and not just a dirt trail used by walking people? I can't picture a real graded road ever existing there, though I can picture a slightly graded dirt path down the ravine wall being slated at some point for regrading and paving to make it vehicle-accessible, the kind of project that the city began to think of as evil after the 70s or so (or maybe sooner, in the immediate post-Hurricane Hazel era, perhaps).

I'm reviving this thread because while searching the forum for info it seemed a good place to ask if anyone knows about the houses that used to be west off Yonge St just north of York Mills, before going north up the hill.

I can remember in the mid sixties going west off Yonge in a car and seeing what I remember as almost a village of shacks, later (1969?) I was back with a friend on bicycles and it was was mostly empty, I've always wondered about the history in that area.

On a side note as the Cedarvale bridge is mentioned above... my parents moved to Connaught Circle in early 1973 and I was sitting on my bike early one spring morning in either '73 or '74, can't remember exactly, on the south side of the bridge when the work crews showed up to permanently close the bridge to cars by drilling holes and installing posts and a guardrail blocking both sides, as you can imagine it instantly changed traffic in the neighborhood.

Mustapha and/or I posted a bunch of photos of the Yonge/York Mills area a while ago on the Miscellaneous Then and Now thread. Some of them were Toronto Archives photos of Hoggs Hollow before and after the widening of Yonge Street.

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.co...=City+of+Toronto+Archives&eloquentref=toronto

Just search for York Mills/Yonge/widening - you should find what you are looking for. The photos are from 1955/1956.
I thought those shacks ended up as Auberge du Pommier.

s0065_fl0144_it0047.jpg

Last edited:
I'm reviving this thread because while searching the forum for info it seemed a good place to ask if anyone knows about the houses that used to be west off Yonge St just north of York Mills, before going north up the hill.

I can remember in the mid sixties going west off Yonge in a car and seeing what I remember as almost a village of shacks, later (1969?) I was back with a friend on bicycles and it was was mostly empty, I've always wondered about the history in that area.

Perhaps this aerial shows the houses to which you refer:

westsideYongeNofYorkMills1953_zps1abfb225.jpg

Thank you for the responses, there seem to be a couple of maps that show the houses in the area and the difference over time. Thinking about it now It was probably later 60s when I was last there, close to the end for those houses and perhaps that explains why my memory is that everything was quite run down.

About the Auberge, I always thought they moved two buildings from the area to that location for the restaurant and took down the rest of the buildings, but if you check it's present day location with respect to St Johns Anglican church and then check the older maps, it seems as though the restaurant building may be in it's original location.

Back