News   Mar 28, 2024
 996     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Saved Bridge: Hogg's Hollow

Here's a good one from James Salmon, looking south on Yonge from north of York Mills, with Hogg's hollow bridge construction in the back ground. You can see one of the houses west off Yonge.

If that hanging sign centre left marks the path to St John's church, then it would seem in 1955 there were no buildings in place in the present day location of Auberge du Pommier (unless it's just out of view on the right behind the trees).

s1-3168b.jpg

Attachments

• s1-3168b.jpg
    s1-3168b.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 1,297
Here's another great one from a bit further south, house hidden behind the building now.

s1-3189a.jpg

Attachments

• s1-3189a.jpg
    s1-3189a.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 1,200
If that hanging sign centre left marks the path to St John's church, then it would seem in 1955 there were no buildings in place in the present day location of Auberge du Pommier (unless it's just out of view on the right behind the trees).

Actually, AdP is a little north of here. The rise of land on the right is the one which cradles the present-day 4100 Yonge on the south...

I was digging through post cards and photo's today, I've collected a few but they're mostly of the area north of Toronto, however I did find this one that may work in this thread...
Hogg's Hollow.jpg

Attachments

• Hogg's Hollow.jpg
    Hogg's Hollow.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,302
Actually, AdP is a little north of here. The rise of land on the right is the one which cradles the present-day 4100 Yonge on the south...

I believe the AdP houses on Carson Cresent were slightly relocated during the construction of the Corporate Centre. I think they used to be a bit further back from Yonge Street. The York Mills Garden Centre was right on Yonge Street iirc in comparison to the homes on Carson Cresent that were set back from Yonge Street. I had friends who lived in the homes that were torn down to make way for the YCC.

I believe the AdP houses on Carson Cresent were slightly relocated during the construction of the Corporate Centre. I think they used to be a bit further back from Yonge Street. The York Mills Garden Centre was right on Yonge Street iirc in comparison to the homes on Carson Cresent that were set back from Yonge Street. I had friends who lived in the homes that were torn down to make way for the YCC.

York Mills Garden Centre, I know the people who used to own that place and their son still has the old sign hanging on his property in Newmarket across from the Tannery mall on Davis, I'll have to stop by and ask what he remembers about the AdP buildings. Any idea what that neighborhood was called back then?

Thinking about it now I'm sure I can remember houses being moved in that spot, and I can't remember any houses that close to Yonge St on the west side before all the construction.

Thanks for the info themarc.

Any idea what that neighborhood was called back then?

Growing up in that area (I went to York Mills Public School) generically the area was referred to as "York Mills" with the area around the Yonge Street was called Hoggs Hollow by outsiders. Amongst the neighbourhood you either lived "in the Valley" or "up the Hill". Real Estate marketing pushed the boundaries to what is YM is now referred to as 401 to the Granite Club and Yonge to almost Leslie.

Last edited:
This is astonishing. I just started working at the YCC a couple of months ago. I was surprised to realize there'd been a couple of streets full of about two dozen homes standing here up until the mid-80s or so. It's nearly impossible to find out anything about the place, but I just found a few things here on this old thread! Does anyone know anything more?

Back