News   May 03, 2024
 792     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 507     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 250     0 

Save Our Libraries!

Well, case in point, me. Before I got a home computer/internet access a decade ago, I spent at least 20 hours a week at my local library. Then, with internet connection at home, I still used the library at least twice a month until 2006.

No longer.

The library is--sad to say--almost pointless these days, unless you're interested in trying to pick up chicks or need to use the bathroom or find some obscure reference material/out of print book.

So today, I use the library less than once a year.

Well, case in point, me. Before I got a home computer/internet access a decade ago, I spent at least 20 hours a week at my local library. Then, with internet connection at home, I still used the library at least twice a month until 2006.

No longer.

The library is--sad to say--almost pointless these days, unless you're interested in trying to pick up chicks or need to use the bathroom or find some obscure reference material/out of print book.

So today, I use the library less than once a year.

http://therealfirstworldproblems.tumblr.com/

Out of curiosity, with today's digital world and now everything being assessed at your fingertips through all our new gadgets, exactly how many people are actually using libraries now?

There are still quite a few people who use libraries.

Also the fact that our library system is the busiest in the world just goes to show we're getting value for our money. Why cut services that are being fully utilised?

Go into one, you'll see. Plenty of people are using them. Not everyone has gadgets and not everyone who has gadgets does everything digitally. I use bookmobile service because there isn't a branch close by, and it's lined up every week when it arrives -- and that's for a library "branch" with minimal service. Go into an actual branch. It's a busy place.

About 50% of Torontonians have library cards...hardly "nobody uses those obsolete libraries with their dusty old books" etc.

Indeed myself and my family all use local libraries regularly and own Kindles. This sort sort of commentary is pure ignorance, sometimes I think I live in a compeltely different world from some other people.

Out of curiosity, with today's digital world and now everything being assessed at your fingertips through all our new gadgets, exactly how many people are actually using libraries now?

Here's an interesting idea. Why not get out of the house, off your computer and digital device and actually go to your local library and check for yourself? You'll be surprised. I do not get why people keep on asking this question, as if everyone is like them? Not everyone is glued to a digital device.I pity people who are glued to their devices.

Libraries have done a great job at adpating to the digital world, and embracing new technology. Not everyone has access to internet, and not everyone wants to buy an ipad or digital reader.

Speaking of digital readers, most of them are not that great anyways. The only reader that I found to be useful is the Kindle. The Kobo is junk, and Sony's e-reader is too pricey for what it offers.

I never intended to claim it was easy - actually I think the whole process would prove to be quite difficult. The easy thing is what most other politicians would do and avoid the issue altogether, not ruffling feathers. Whether you like the guy or not, he's at least willing to discuss things that are difficult or unpopular, even if it never goes beyond the discussion stage. All levels and all branches of Toronto's municipal service are very actively talking - something that shouldn't have required a cattle prong up the behind to instigate.

Actually, I have a feeling the Ford's thought this would be an easy thing to do. If Ford was such the brave guy you believe he is, he would be talking road tolls, and other progressive revenue tools. No, this is just a mean-spirited attempt to balance the budget on the backs of the poor and weak.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting idea. Why not get out of the house, off your computer and digital device and actually go to your local library and check for yourself? You'll be surprised. I do not get why people keep on asking this question, as if everyone is like them? Not everyone is glued to a digital device.I pity people who are glued to their devices.

Libraries have done a great job at adpating to the digital world, and embracing new technology. Not everyone has access to internet, and not everyone wants to buy an ipad or digital reader.

Speaking of digital readers, most of them are not that great anyways. The only reader that I found to be useful is the Kindle. The Kobo is junk, and Sony's e-reader is too pricey for what it offers.

I was actually going to my local library a few months ago for internet use(they filmed Scott Pilgrim there). The biggest crowds were at the computer stations. A handful of students scattered and a few elderly. But by far, more people using the computers than reading/studying. Just my observation. I don't know one adult that has a library card.

I was actually going to my local library a few months ago for internet use(they filmed Scott Pilgrim there). The biggest crowds were at the computer stations. A handful of students scattered and a few elderly. But by far, more people using the computers than reading/studying. Just my observation. I don't know one adult that has a library card.

Ahhh.. Wychwood. That is lmy local library. Nice little library with a decent selection of books, and a great kids section. YOu go a few times, and you conclude the library is not used. Have you gone during the day when the library is full of kids? Or in the afternoon when people are off work? Considering the library only have 6 stations, you assume the library was empty? Heck, you just proved how useful a library can be. Without this service, you would have to go elsewhere for internet.

Last edited:

You would probably make an excellent adviser to Rob Ford as you both seem to rely overwhelmingly on useless anecdotal evidence. It has been well documented that 2010 was the busiest year ever for Toronto's Public Libraries, not only in terms of visits but also in terms of books borrowed. But obviously your anecdotal evidence is much more significant that actual facts.

I've never needed EI; I'm in excellent health and have rarely used our health care system; i've never slept in a homeless shelter; never used a food bank; don't have a car and rarely useroads and have no need of municipal parking; I've never called the police, fire dept, or ambulance; i won't be relying on CPP payments when I retire; i don't use probably 70% of city parks; I don't spend time at city rec or community centres...cancel it all! ...or maybe I should just pull my head out of my a**.

I don't know one adult that has a library card.

You don't know much about anything, you simply rely on hearsay and other made up crap...which you spew as gospel.
You lost all credibility a few months ago.

Back