News   Apr 26, 2024
 509     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 379     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 577     0 

Save Our Libraries!

From Adam Vaughan:
I strongly value our libraries, in our ward and across the city. The Toronto Public Library system is the largest in Canada and the busiest in the world. Our library collections include publications in more than 100 languages, we are able to borrow books from other library systems across Canada, and our libraries offer employment and educational resources, public computers, and other important services that help meet the needs of our diverse communities.

Reductions to library service are currently being proposed. These cuts would include reduced open hours in branches across the city, and fewer new titles and copies of books, audio books, DVDs and magazines.

The Library Board needs to hear from you on how these cuts would impact you, your family, and your community. Please join me and Library staff at a public meeting to find out more about the potential reductions and to provide your comments.
Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Time: 6:30pm

If you would like more information, or to fill out a survey on these changes, please click here: http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/about-the-library/budget-2012-survey.jsp

There are meetings sheduled in most libraries, I believe, to discuss the proposed cutbacks. There's one starting here at the Gerrard and Broadview branch in about five minutes time.

Come on down!

I think both printed copies and electronic copies have their own usefulness. I prefer to hold onto a book if I read. It tires my eyes to stare at computers too long and when I enjoy reading a book. I can read for hours on end. However, I think electronic books are also good as well. I recall when I had to do research for school, I would be restricted to a certain time at the library so I would have to take a lot of books home to look through. I felt, if I could access materials 24/7, it would make life so much easier. Also, books I might require to do my homework would sometimes be unavailable. Hence I would have to make due or wait for the book to return. If it was online, there could be unlimited copies that could be accessed at one time. More people can read the books instead of waiting in line for popular books as well. I even recall I forgot I ordered a book until the library called me up because I put the book on hold over a year ago and the queue was very long. If more materials were electronic and more easily accessible. Maybe less libraries might be needed. But every household would need a computer to read them I suppose.

Back