News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.4K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 625     1 

Sapphire Update, out-of-business (Stinson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hah!

Stinson was being interviewed by City TV crew around 1:15PM today behind the Telus Building (11 King st west).
I work in that building.

Is something new brewing ?

If Stinson was smart he'd come up with a scheme that would let the guy continue...afterall, he already thinks the city is boring...why make it even more boring?

Dear God, that's MY streetmeat vendor. Best hot dog and fries combo in town. I've got to sign the petition.

I wish the city would get a little creative, and try to come up with a solution. The trucks deserve to stay.

-How could Stinson not foresee a clash of culture, betwee tourists and power brokers(or wanna be power brokers) ?

-And now, at least in this article seems to insinuate, it's David Mirvishs fault?

Toronto Star, Sept 20-Stinson's grand hotel: A pipe dream?

Money woes dog 1 King West project
Sep. 20, 2006. 01:00 AM
JENNIFER WELLS
BUSINESS COLUMNIST

Harry Stinson. Hangdog face. Weary eyes. Worrisome pallor. 7 p.m. Monday.

The subject at hand: the closing of the Dominion Club, the private members' retreat Stinson envisioned and even launched out of the elegant old Dominion Bank building at King and Yonge Sts.

What went wrong?

Let's see. It's July. Stinson's plan for 3,000 club members has fallen short by 2,650 or so. So there's that.

The hotel business is in the doldrums, despite Stinson offering rooms at the 1 King West condo-hotel for the lower-than-low price of 129 bucks.

So there's that, too.

And then there's the image of hotel guests in summer attire — flip-flops! — settling into the Dominion Club's leather chairs and ordering a beer.

"There wasn't a widespread revolution," says Stinson of those who had ponied up $5,000 to be Dominion Club members.

But the vocal minority was, he continues, "extremely upset that hotel guests were in their club. ... The formals resented the informals and made it vocally known."

These same members, he says, did not seem to recall or understand that the club plan as it was envisioned always allowed for the regular use of the facilities by out-of-towners staying at the hotel. "We never said we had a strict dress code. Suit. Tie. Morning coat. ... You're supposed to shut off the world and walk into the 19th century when you walk into your club? We said, No. This place will be more dynamic than that."

The formals complained directly to Stinson. It's easy enough to do. Stinson's office is still exposed to all comers, situated as it is right there, in the lobby of 1 King, against the south facing hotel windows, adorned with overflowing cardboard boxes and crayonist drawings of the "I Love You Daddy" period.

Some might find this endearing. Others might suggest that the rumpled environs do nothing to enhance 1 King's efforts to be seen as a chic downtown hotel.

To this Stinson seems oblivious. He has bigger worries. For instance, he has sent letters to all Dominion Club members informing them that it could take until June next year to extend full refunds. "It's going to take a while," he says. "It's a lot of money."

Well, it isn't really. Or it shouldn't be when you're running a 500-room condo-hotel in the heart of downtown, one that has, to give Stinson his due, beautifully enhanced the skyline of the city.

But money woes and Harry Stinson have always gone hand in glove, from his days trying to launch the Candy Factory lofts, a project ultimately wrested from him, through other aborted dreams to, at last, the opening of 1 King, the under-construction condo development on Roncesvalles Ave., and the yet unrealized dream of his Sapphire tower near City Hall.

Truth to tell, money woes plague 1 King beyond the Dominion Club dust-up. Almost two years ago, Stinson led a tour through what was to be his own 6,000-square-foot condominium. He was so excited. Like a kid. But ask him where he lives today and he says ruefully, "I believe I'm currently on the 12th floor."

Nothing has been done on his own pad. Nada. "There are still things to be resolved and they seem to think that's a good lever," he says. And then, "David needs to complete his transaction."

By "David," Stinson is referring to David Mirvish, who came to Stinson's financial rescue and who, says Stinson, has been very patient through the project's tortured completion. But there are 33 original suites still unsold, and those have to be offloaded to complete the transaction that Stinson refers to. To complicate matters, some of the initial condo buyers have turned, says Stinson, into "motivated vendors." So the developers are competing in the marketplace against resellers who, as Stinson puts it, "just want to get their money out."

Then there are the three penthouse suites, priced at $6 million apiece as they were two years ago. Still unsold. And Stinson turns very vague on mortgage negotiations currently ongoing with Mirvish. "I don't have any bone to pick with David personally," Stinson says quietly. "Obviously, I'm frustrated. It hasn't worked out the way I wanted it to. There aren't a lot of villains in this one."

There is so much that hasn't worked out. On the King St. side of the building, what was to have been a lively café decorated with the red stone front of Michie's greengrocers, originally located on the spot, is now the sales office for Stinson Properties. It looks dreadful.

On the Yonge St. side, the awnings that were to dot the entire side of the building have not materialized and anyone walking past gets hit with a blast of exhaust from somewhere in the bowels of the building. ("I don't even think it's legal," says Stinson in his usual matter-of-fact manner. "I hope we get a notice from the city saying we must change that. To me it's embarrassing.") To passersby, 1 King presents not as the animated grand hotel that Stinson envisioned but rather something bleakly institutional. "It really boils down to financing," Stinson sighs. "That's the history of the whole project."

Ever the optimist, Stinson admits to being exhausted, but not defeated. He insists that things are looking up. August was busy, busy, busy. The film festival helped buoy September. And this latest decision, to close the Dominion Club and turn the vast hall into a special event space for weddings and such, is bound, he believes, to be a reliable revenue spinner. It had better be. Seven people are having dinner in a cavern that seats hundreds. There is not one person at the 30-metre-long bar.

At 1.21 a.m. Tuesday he shoots off an email. Does the man never sleep?

"We appear to be at 100% occupancy tonight," he writes of the hotel rooms, adding that a wedding has been booked for the weekend in the banking hall, and The Rockettes, who have reserved a block of rooms in advance of their Christmas season show at the Hummingbird Centre, are soon to arrive. As for the penthouses, one of them is being kitted out for the filming of a designer contest TV show. He adds that a few of the members of the defunct club dropped by to express their support, right there in the corner of the lobby, where Harry Stinson vows he will stay until he can say, once and for all, that he got it right this time.

I feel sorry for Harry. I love his enthusiasm, but how is the above press coverage positive? There are some things you do not tell the press. I would happily write him a communications plan to avoid such mistakes in the future.

It's amazing that he received financing to do anything.

After all these years and the penthouses still aren't sold. He has a new scheme on his informercial (or a few new schemes)...he seems to be getting pretty desperate.

"He has a new scheme on his informercial (or a few new schemes)"

What? Like buy a penthouse in Sapphire and get a penthouse in 1King for half price? Get a discount if you pay in cash (preferably small, unmarked, unconsecutive bills)?

Anyone else have any creative ideas about possible Stinson financing schemes?

Perhaps re-launch the Dominion Club with:

"STINSON - THE MUSICAL"

The Rockettes could stay for free, for their entire run at the Hummingbird Centre, if they buy a few condos in return and do a few high-kicking chorus lines in the musical.

Tommy Tune stars as Harry.

Rick Moranis and Eugene Levy star as the Mirvii.

Ross Petty appears as the Evil Banker.

What? Like buy a penthouse in Sapphire and get a penthouse in 1King for half price? Get a discount if you pay in cash (preferably small, unmarked, unconsecutive bills)?

Anyone else have any creative ideas about possible Stinson financing schemes?

I can't remember them exactly, but to be honest hearing them all sounded just as ridiculous as your mock plan, if only because it's obvious how desperate he's getting.

One is the penthouse ownership pool. For a certain amount (I think $20000) you can become part owner of the penthouse, and get to use it however you'd like for one day of the year. Any revenue it generates is divided among the owners.

The other is the resident leasing program for $1995/month.

The former club space as the world's largest Tim Horton's.

Actually, I hope the place is a success.

i wonder if Harry wants all the owners of Sapphire to leave their contracts.

The Harry writes back in the Star:

Shallow portrait of fine hotel
Sep. 22, 2006. 01:00 AM

Stinson's grand hotel: A pipe dream?

Column, Sept. 20.

1 King West is very much alive and financially well. Under normal circumstances, if a Toronto hotel were regularly achieving occupancy levels from 70 per cent to 100 per cent with room rates recently exceeding $300 per night, one might consider this a promising performance, especially if the hotel — and the hotelier — had done so as an independent start-up, without the benefit of an international brand name.

In barely a year, 1 King West has evolved into one of Toronto's busiest hotels, with a blue-chip corporate client base and top ratings on the major travel Internet sites. Yet the Star in a headline refers to the building as a "pipe dream." 1 King West is very, very real. The building is an internationally admired architectural landmark in Toronto and one need only visit the lobby to sense the extraordinary vitality of the facility, and indeed the business of the hotel.

Is it perfect? Of course not.

It is no secret the palatial banking hall was recently transformed from a private lounge to a hotel banquet hall for the economically valid reason that the demand for individual dinners, and the hotel guests wildly exceeded the club members.

I have endured early cynicism toward my unorthodox business "visions" (unbankable concepts such as healthy foods, non-smoking restaurants, children's entertainment, loft conversions and condo hotels).

However, hundreds of people have worked very hard to transform the dream of 1 King West into a dynamic reality. They — and the hundreds of increasingly happy owners of suites at 1 King West — do not deserve to be subjected to this grossly misleading and shallow portrait.

Harry Stinson, Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back