News   Jun 21, 2024
 190     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 310     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 415     0 

Sapphire Update, out-of-business (Stinson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"there are already signs that the U.S. market is slowing big-time, and we usually follow their trends by about six months..."

The Canadian and US real estate markets are much different and are not nearly as connected as other parts of the economy. The real estate market is much more domestic in nature. It is widely believed that the current Canadian real estate market is built upon a more solid foundation than the US market. Our price gains are a fraction of the highest ones there and other places in the world which are also experiencing a boom.

I've browsed through the thread on this one and am totally confused. What's going on with it. Is it a go? What is the final design?

The designs located in this thread are just ideas Harry's been working on. He took them to the city to see if, as a general idea, they would be looked at favourably by the planners. I think they gave him an informal thumbs up. Now he is going to produce a detailed design. Then its off to the city again for approval.

If approved he will then need to sell it to the public.

Anyone else notice that today's pic of Old City Hall is taken from the top floor terraces of the new Sapphire?

I was thinking a) whether the central courtyard at the Old City Hall still exists, and whether there is a way to put a roof on it like the Great Court at British Museum and turn it into a public area; b) about those old buildings at the Hydro One/Eaton Centre footprint and how both could have been "different" had some attempt was made to incorporate them into the complexes.

AoD

"The Canadian and US real estate markets are much different and are not nearly as connected as other parts of the economy."

I'm not certain I agree. There are global, continental, national and local factors at play that are of equal importance. Incidentally, my criticism of government procedure is extended to the finance and insurance industries that have become incredibly inflexible and beaurocratic.

central courtyard at the Old City Hall still exists
It does exist as a secure holding centre for prisoner vans moving offenders in and out of the courthouse safely.

What a waste. I am sure there is some space in the basement of the building more suitable for that purpose.

AoD

Meeting with City Planners on May 19th. went well. Further meeting scheduled for May 31st. with City Planners to finalize and approve new design. Expect announcement shortly there after with detailed drawings to follow. Major invester lined up who wants to proceed with construction immediately the project is approved by City Council.

Does anyone have a clue what the most recent redesign looks like? Or at least details about it as far as height, the above-ground parking thing, general shape, shadows, the step-shaped top portion that surfaced in a rendering a while back, etc.? Love him, hate him or indifferent, it's always interesting to see what Harry is up to.

V of E,

Do you have any idea as to whether there will be provisions for PATH connections?

The new BAC is to include an east/west connection with knock out panels at the western property line for potential future connections to Sapphire and the new Concourse building according to the BAC planning report.

It would be impossible to connect the Stinson Fantasy Project to the Path - there is no link to the South (through the Bell Building and that short office building to FCP), to the east he'd have to go through the buildings on Bay Street to either the Bay Adelaide Center or to the Bay (neither of which which would gain any benefit from what would be a dead end connection), to put in a tunnel to the North would cost the Sheraton retail space (again for a dead end connection), and a tunnel to the West would put them into the parking garage, or under the old Federal Building (which is already connected to the PATH and so would gain no benefit from connecting to the Stinson Fantasy Project).

I look forward to his next design, whether it gets built or not I give Harry all of my respect for not giving up.

ap? That was only semi-literate. That you in there? Or has the miketoronto doppelganger infested a new avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back