News   Apr 22, 2024
 775     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 664     0 

Sammy Yatim Shooting

He still hasn't be fired.

They might be waiting for all the criminal charges to run their course (he's still charged with Breach of Probation? I lose track) including their appeal periods so they finalize the disciplinary process. I assume now he is suspended w/o pay since he is sentenced to incarceration.

I've got some sympathy for the Constable frankly.
Me too, originally. But the lack of respect for the courts and court orders lost some sympathy from me.

It seemed that he was overcharged in an attempt to let him get off. There was no way he would be found guilty of murder. There was no way he could be found guilty of attempted murder, when the person died as the result of the officer putting 10 bullets into him.

A more reasonable charge would have been something along the lines of careless use of a firearm - arguing that since he had a firearm he had a duty to put himself in a proper position that would not force him to have to use the firearm.

He was found guilty because of the second volley of shots.

He should have been fired immediately.

This is bs that he still gets paid. Our system is tucked up.

He was found guilty because of the second volley of shots.

He should have been fired immediately.

This is bs that he still gets paid. Our system is tucked up.
There was one volley of ~10 shots. The whole second volley of shots was a joke. I don't think anyone believes that he had time to make an informed and thought out decision in the small gap in time.

in regards to pay - I think the threshold for police should be higher than just criminal conviction. They should have at least had a hearing before the trial to determine if his actions violate police conduct. If yes (which in this case I think applies), then he should be fired regardless of whether he's convicted or not. Without such a hearing, I think he should continue to get paid until found guilty - which happened a couple of years ago.

Although I still can't believe the verdict, I think it is more related to the poor defense and gullibility of the jury, and not due to a wrong in the court system.
I would have expected that the Superior Court should have allowed the appeal, and I am not sure if Forcillo breaking bail condition is reason enough to not allow the appeal to go through - it likely played a part.
At this stage, I wasn't expecting the Supreme Court to weigh in.

Back