News   Aug 26, 2024
 44     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 304     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 435     2 

Ryerson: Business Building (Zeidler)

Interesting, the report recommends rejecting signs 1,3, & 5. Sign 1 is vinyl against the glass of the northeast entrance... can the city even regulate that? Yes it's signage, but if they just hung the lettering from banners on the inside, it wouldn't be regulated, would it?

It barely looks similar. The building in New York can be applauded for bold cantilevered sections but the random placement of some of the upper windows looks bad, and overall it gives the impression that the architects were trying too hard to build something distinctive.

i think the entrances and massing look very similar, the cantilever is a small difference...i guess the retail too it looks like from that photo. just saying. julliard looks way better!

It barely looks similar. The building in New York can be applauded for bold cantilevered sections but the random placement of some of the upper windows looks bad, and overall it gives the impression that the architects were trying too hard to build something distinctive.

Though keep in mind that it isn't a new building, but rather a creative renovation/expansion/retrofit of an existing one...

What did it look like before?
6708-300.jpg

The most "Brutalistic" thing at Lincoln Center (by Pietro Belluschi)

Now THAT is a creative reinvention of a building that maintained the essence of the original. WOW WOW WOW.

That really blew my mind.

This is all for Canadian Tire's renovation. It's just that corner of the building getting a bit of a refresh. Bay Street will get the similar black band shown on the Dundas side, and signage will be replaced, as well as reduced. (No more Driving Playing Living)

I forgot just how ugly this building was.

I was JUST thinking the exact same thing. It's also offensively has no regard for the Eaton Centre or tries to create some sort of cohesion with the rest of the block. This has to be top ten worst buildings built in the last 20 years in the city.

Back