News   Jul 17, 2024
 58     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 687     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 527     0 

Royal Oak Inn (376 Dundas East @ Ontario St, 3s) COMPLETE

Aren't these historic buildings protected by the city? I would have thought for sure, this building would have historic designation. How does crazy s**t like this even happen? It's deplorable!

Wow that's just.... repulsive! That exterior is the exact colour you would find at any Motel 6 along the Interstate. Only thing it's missing now is the ugly green glass.

Aren't these historic buildings protected by the city? I would have thought for sure, this building would have historic designation. How does crazy s**t like this even happen? It's deplorable!

The building is not on the Inventory of Heritage Properties. The standard explanation given by Preservation Services when asked about the absence of listing for buildings like this is that they are short-staffed, over-worked, blah, blah, blah....

There has been talk about extending the Cabbagetown Heritage Conservation District southerly, which would have included this site, but that obviously hasn't happened. Perhaps the Councillor could be questioned.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, they could've looked at the ex-Bay Street Hotel at Bay & Elm for a cue as to how to handle an even *worse* old wreck--then again, given how long that resurrection drew out, I'm wondering if it offered disincentive.

Ah well, As I've implied elsewhere, EIFS reclads are the cheap'n'easy Ford Nation subways/taxpayers/gravy mantra of urban design. And like the Fords talking bald lies about saving a billion dollars, the EIFS industry delivers the "beauty to tired old buildings at low cost" mantra--y'know, tell'em it's "beauty", and it is; tell'em it was a "tired old building", and it was; tell'em it raises values, and yeah, for whatever Enron fleece-job moment...

The building is not on the Inventory of Heritage Properties. The standard explanation given by Preservation Services when asked about the absence of listing for buildings like this is that they are short-staffed, over-worked, blah, blah, blah....

There has been talk about extending the Cabbagetown Heritage Conservation southerly, which would have included this site, but that obviously hasn't happened. Perhaps the Councillor could be questioned.

Pam McConnell's motion was passed in October 2011, Heritage Services has not yet reported back.

See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2011.TE10.37

Community Council Decision

The Toronto and East York Community Council:

1. Directed the Acting Director, Policy and Research, to report to the Toronto and East York Community Council, as soon as possible, on the possibility of designating the building at 376 Dundas Street East under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.

I'll just leave this here...

SLAUrQB.png

When Disney World starts to look good, you know you're In trouble....

f37e7f4ee8ee8101044bcc97b1c845ad.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back