News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 605     1 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

Oct 03

IMG_oct-03-09-0241.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0242.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0246.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0247.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0248.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0249.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0250.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0251.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0258.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0255.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0256.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0261.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0264.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0267.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0254.jpg

IMG_oct-03-09-0272.jpg

Visually, I find the hall unsettling - it's like being trapped inside a giant, muscular vagina.

AACK! Thanks for that umm...original and highly evocative simile. I'll never get it out of my head. AACK!:eek::)

great series of photos - thanks! I love what I'm seeing... all excpet for perhaps one tiny exterior detail, as shown in the image I have re-posted below. Is that a patch of grass infront of the lobby / entrance? If so I think that they should have continued the low wall from the driveway along the sidewalk and planted some low shrubs instead. I guess the grungy mailbox and fire hydrant dont really help that portion of the frontage...
IMG_oct-03-09-0247.jpg

No! That's the best part.

It's not lawn-- it's low, dense plantings of some type (I don't know the name sadly) but it goes right up to the glass and causes this incredible transition from plantings to a stone floor, separated only by a piece of glass. It's stunning. Honestly, you need to see it in person.

No! That's the best part.

It's not lawn-- it's low, dense plantings of some type (I don't know the name sadly) but it goes right up to the glass and causes this incredible transition from plantings to a stone floor, separated only by a piece of glass. It's stunning. Honestly, you need to see it in person.

I'm completely with you here. The effect works best when it has been raining and those plants outside are glistening with droplets of water - a perfect contrast to the sleek, stone floors within. Also, that particular glass wall is one of the best in the city.

Visually, I find the hall unsettling - it's like being trapped inside a giant, muscular vagina.

AACK! Thanks for that umm...original and highly evocative simile. I'll never get it out of my head. AACK!:eek::)

Observation: this is not the first time I've heard such a thing about Koerner; a friend of mine has said something similar. I've not, uhm, set foot in the new hall yet, but I am presently thinking that when I finally do get there, my first impressions will be somewhat coloured.

I think it's got something to do with the contrast between the undulating balcony fronts, which look like they're constructed from tightly restrained bundles of muscle, and the way in which those vertical columns behind the stage gradually relinquish control and go screaming across the ceiling in wild abandon.

One critic puts her ... um ... finger on it when she describes the Koerner Hall as:

... a passionate space ... undulating ribbons of wood that seem to swim according to their own hard-driving rhythm ... There's plenty here that draws from the female form ... McKenna has expressed something organic and alive ... urgent, velvet, intimate ... Reaching out and enticing strangers into new pleasures ... revealed in unexpected ways over time.

I visited Koerner Hall at Nuit Blanche and thought the interior looked very Canadiana: an artistic interpretation of an army of canoes, some inverted, some unwound.

I visited Koerner Hall at Nuit Blanche and thought the interior looked very Canadiana: an artistic interpretation of an army of canoes, some inverted, some unwound.

That's a cool description-- whether Koerner Hall was like that or another building. I am going to have to take a good look when I'm there for a concert in November, as I was unable to make it during Nuit Blanche. But, anything that can be construed into Canadiana makes me happy. :)

Back