News   Jun 26, 2024
 102     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

I'm jonesing over the pictures of the Koerner Hall interior.

... Hate to admit that I haven't been in the new hall as of yet -- only because a (sad) family affair is swallowing up almost all of our time lately.

Foremost on my mind after seeing the shots Koerner's interior: Toronto now knows what a good concert hall looks like, with Koerner Hall in place. My next visit to Roy Thomson Hall is going to be a huge letdown now that I've seen the gorgeous proportioning, ratios, and finishes of Koerner.

Last edited:
exterior and interior both look good

I had a brief walk-about the RCM 2 weeks ago after having lunch at the ROM C5 restaurant. Talk about counterpoints, - impressive indeed. Afterwards, the walk south through U of T's philosopher's walk was just icing on the cake. All of Toronto's maestros should be taking bows.

Did KPMB win this commission through a design contest? I found an 'alternative' scheme, but no architect is listed.

1301.jpg

That one seems more postmodern with the sloped roofs or even a Robert Stern style, though it's hard to tell from the wooden model what the materials would have been. It seems to be more sensitive to the old architecture.

I see a little of the Barton Myers (/KPMB) addition to the AGO in that...

Lisa Rochon of the Globe and Mail wrote yesterday that this is the most feminine of our new cultural buildings.

I don't see anything wrong with having some femininity in our cultural buildings, or any buildings for that matter. Any kind of variety is fine by me.

Except someone has to tell me what "femininity" is in architecture...if one meant buildings by female architects, sure...but somehow I don't see how RCM can be considered to be a gendered building.

AoD

Quote (L. Rochon, Dec. 26): "... warm to the touch and gently exhilarating to the eye."

I think it refers specifically to the concert hall, not the building as a whole. (Wasn't a comment already made here, comparing the ceiling of the hall to the female genitals?)

Back