News   Jun 26, 2024
 144     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Rouge Bijou (Downtown Markham, Remington, 10 + 3x 7s, Quadrangle)

If they build this, I could see an LRT connection between Fairview, or Scarborough Town Centre.

LRT to Fairview is a viable option the far future. But still would not serve as a good way to commute to downtown Toronto. A good system of travel is to lessen the amount of transfers a commuter makes to reach his destination. That's why the GO is still viable alternative.

True, but as of right now the trains only run twice a day and not on weekends, and the buses aren't to frequent in between. A single fare system is the way to go.

Viva Green already runs between the Downtown Markham site (Enterprise Blvd) and Fairview Mall (Don Mills Station). In rush hour it runs up to Markville Mall. I'd really like to see Viva Green go from there down to Scarborough Centre via McCowan... it will pass by my house!

"being 3 times the size of Cityplace?"

CityPlace will have about 3 times as many housing units as Downtown Markham.

"That's why the GO is still viable alternative."

Not in Markham.

"If they build this, I could see an LRT connection between Fairview, or Scarborough Town Centre."

We'll have to see what Viva turns into, if they graduate from a rapid system to something rail-based. If they build a DRL up Don Mills, Viva could end in the hydro corridor next to Seneca at Finch.

I dont expect the Go Train to come every 5 mins lile the subway. If the train ran more frequent I couldn't even imagine how much the GO fare would be. When Downtown Markham is built I'm pretty sure they will increase the GO train services. Afterall, the GO station runs right beside it!

^ The Stouffville line GO train comes 5 times a day - if they're not inproving service for the ~500,000 people already living next to it, why would they do so for this additional 8,000?

Where do you get this information from? The Stouffville Go line runs 8 times a day (4 during the morning rush hour & 4 during the evening rush). Not to mention the bus service to Union runs every hour during the day and after rush hour.

wyliepoon,
Is there any chance of convincing you to shrink that huge image on page 1 of this thread. It's destroyed the readability of that page and I'd like to catch up on what's being said.

cassius,

Not my fault. I think the webmaster changed the size of the site map but kept the old link that I used for my post.

I deleted the site map from my post. You can still see the map if you go to the DM website.

"Where do you get this information from? The Stouffville Go line runs 8 times a day (4 during the morning rush hour & 4 during the evening rush). Not to mention the bus service to Union runs every hour during the day and after rush hour."

Thank you for alerting me to the fact that the schedule has been changed and the Stouffville line now only runs 4 times per day instead of 5 - the Mount Joy reverse commuting train has been scrapped.

"The Stouffville line GO train comes 5 times a day - if they're not inproving service for the ~500,000 people already living next to it, why would they do so for this additional 8,000?"

Nice way to inflate stats, from your count, it seems everyone who lives in the east side of Markham works in downtown Toronto.

No, but they may all take the GO train occasionally - it is the superior way to get to the SkyDome, convention centre, Air Canada Centre, theatres, etc. Oh wait, they're not taking the GO train because it only comes 4 times a day. Silly me. The trains don't even run on the weekend.

And for inflating stats, you're counting both inbound and outbound GO trains...people sometimes like to return home that day after working or shopping.

"No, but they may all take the GO train occasionally - it is the superior way to get to the SkyDome, convention centre, Air Canada Centre, theatres, etc. Oh wait, they're not taking the GO train because it only comes 4 times a day. Silly me. The trains don't even run on the weekend."

I didn't know the SkyDome still existed? No way! The GOTrain comes during key times during the morning and evening rush. I'm sure the majority of people in the east side of Markham attend events at the ACC/or do theatre during the day. When was the last Leaf game held at 2pm on a Wednesday afternoon? Yeah, I'm sure of that.

Like I said, the Express GO Bus in that area runs every hour including the WEEKENDS.

"And for inflating stats, you're counting both inbound and outbound GO trains...people sometimes like to return home that day after working or shopping."

I said the train runs 8 TIMES A DAYS, including outbound.

"I didn't know the SkyDome still existed? No way! The GOTrain comes during key times during the morning and evening rush. I'm sure the majority of people in the east side of Markham attend events at the ACC/or do theatre during the day. When was the last Leaf game held at 2pm on a Wednesday afternoon? Yeah, I'm sure of that."

The GO train only goes south in the morning rush hour...it cannot be used to get to a Jays game at 7pm or the convention centre at 5pm or a theatre show at 9pm. With its current schedule it is useful exclusively for a small number of people who work 9-5 jobs near Union station. How many of the 8000 residents of Downtown Markham do you think will work downtown? Maybe 250? Why would these several hundred commuters make such a difference when there's already hundreds of thousands of people within the Stouffville's commuter-shed that might take the train but currently cannot? There's already about 25,000 people within walking distance of Agincourt GO station.

You said "When Downtown Markham is built I'm pretty sure they will increase the GO train services. Afterall, the GO station runs right beside it!" Yet, according to you, the GO bus is so useful and well-used that why would anyone want to take the train at all? People will move to Downtown Markham largely because of the fantastic road and highway access...it's at Warden and the 407 and it's minutes from the 404 and umpteen thousand jobs in nearby office parks.

Back