News   Jun 26, 2024
 140     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Rouge Bijou (Downtown Markham, Remington, 10 + 3x 7s, Quadrangle)

Actually, I think that the best thing to come out of Markham (and Vaughan) in the past little while is the Thornhill Yonge St. study. If Markham Centre can look like that it would be great. Same for the Spadina subway extension.

By miketoronto logic, the TD Centre and all that ought to be located where Mozo is

The Proposal looks awesome. You have to give it to Markham for making the effort. These are baby steps but they are definitely planning in the right direction.

"As the Google Map clearly shows, the site is an empty greenfield surrounded by an ever growing number of low density subdivisions. The few office/commerical buildings that are scattered around including the Town Hall is surrounded by endless parking lots."

Markham Centre is mostly surrounded by office/industrial parks, not subdivisions, which are only found to the north and farther east, although the ones far to the north and east are growing rapidly...but they're as far away from Markham Centre as Brampton is from MCC. Many existing buildings around the Town Centre Blvd. area do have lots of surface parking, but I haven't seen any long-term plans for anything other than Downtown Markham so who knows if they'll stay or go. I can't imagine there are no plans for, for example, all the land around the Embassy Suites hotel at Warden & 7. If plans do exist, they're clearly not well publicized (If the momentum of suburban town centres is gauged on a continuum, with Mississauga at one end (growing fast and being noticed) and Vaughan at the other (not growing and being laughed at), I guess Markham is somewhere in the middle (slowly growing without being noticed too much).

"I can't help but notice the massive Square One like shopping centre just down the street from this proposed "Markham Centre". I think it's Markville Shopping Centre.

Markville Mall is 4km away, a full two concessions over from Markham Centre...it's not that relevant.

"It would take 20 + years for anything like the renderings to develop. Mississauga City Centre is more likely to turn out like the rendering at least in the near future."

Mississauga Centre is much farther along - 20 years might be an accurate figure - but MCC is on a totally different scale and probably won't end up looking like these renderings anyway. Downtown Markham might be nice if it works, but it may always be a little isolated and sterile. Markham Centre as a whole is more important...the Rodick and Town Centre Blvd area is still all sprawl at this point. MCC may also have far more people living in the immediate area, plus the mall, immensely boosting pedestrian traffic.

New stuff from the Downtown Markham website. I was reminded to check this after I saw today's front page of Ming Pao which headlined this development. I guess Remington, which has a lot of Chinese clients, hopes that the Chinese will buy into Downtown Markham.

Excerpt from DM website describing the features of the community:

Downtown Markham

Over time, Downtown Markham will grow into a lively city centre, abuzz with activity day and night.

Downtown Markham will be defined by international stores and local shops, gourmet restaurants and intimate caf�s, a variety of urban parks and a majestic river valley, entertainment day and night, beautiful residences and state-of-the-art commercial buildings all within a short stroll of each other.

On 243 acres in the very heart of the Greater Toronto Area a lively, mixed-use urban downtown is emerging! It will reflect all that we love about the great city centres of Europe and North America.

Finely appointed condominiums and urban town manors will take their place comfortably within walking distance of the best restaurants, sophisticated retail brands, and office buildings that cozy up to sidewalks.

Wave au revoir! to stores inside fluorescent-lit shopping mall fortresses surrounded by a sea of surface parking, and say bienvenue! to charming streetscapes basking in natural light.

Parks and public squares � offering respite from the cares of the day � will balance the urban lifestyle of this dynamic downtown.

In time, 9,500 people will call Downtown Markham home, and 16,000 will be working right in the core of Downtown Markham�s leading-edge commercial ventures. For the first time in the suburbs, people will have the option of walking, cycling or taking a short bus ride to work.

Downtown Markham represents the future :

* progressive
* sustainable
* environmentally responsible
* transit-supportive
* pedestrian-friendly
* a model to accommodate growth in a way that vastly improves one�s lifestyle.

Almost 15 years ago, the residents and businesses of Markham sat down with their civic leaders to change course and plan for a prosperous future.

Long before gasoline prices soared above $1 per litre, they realized that traffic congestion and marathon daily commutes were hurting family life, the economy and the environment.

They decided to re-invent Markham to find solutions to protect farmland and precious countryside. They decided to locate residences, employment, shops and services all within walking distance of one another.

They decided to create a intimate area where people could meet all their daily needs and they called it Markham Centre.

Today, the very heart of this mixed-use downtown centre is coming to life. Downtown Markham borrows heavily from successful urban settings around the world where squares and parks complement animated streets, and where townhomes and condos reside in harmony with corporate offices, stores and entertainment venues.

Downtown Markham invites those who live and work here and all those who will visit to enjoy its many amenities and attractions to�settle for everything!

Downtown Markham will be built in stages, with a comprehensive master plan guiding development unfailingly toward a cosmopolitan city-centre�this thoughtful, exhilarating place, strives to become your Urbantopia.

Special Features in Downtown Markham

dm1.jpg

High Street, Downtown Markham�s premier retail destination, will offer signature and flagship stores surrounded by the buttery aromas of fresh croissants and glorious, lush planters in full bloom. Bustling with shoppers, browsers and strollers, High Street will be the finest retail address for luxury and international brands.

Exclusive, discrete lobbies to office space above and to condominium residences stepped back will add to the distinctly urbane experience. Theatrical lighting and beautiful masonry will provide high drama to a High Street shopping experience.

The north end of street will be anchored by a signature boutique hotel and spa setting the new standard for those with discerning taste. The south end of High Street leads into The Piazza, the defining feature of Downtown Markham.

dm3.jpg

dm2.jpg

The Piazza, is everyone�s outdoor living room, the heart and soul of the community and a social nucleus for all Markham residents.

Framed by picturesque architecture lined with shops and restaurants, The Piazza will host memorable events and performances throughout the year, including impromptu entertainment and music, farmers� markets, fashion shows, fairs, festivals, seasonal celebrations and civic events.

dm4.jpg

Simcoe Promenade is a grand all�e that provides pedestrian and transit access to all parts of Downtown Markham. Lined with shops, offices, residences and restaurants, from Warden Avenue east to the Unionville GO Station, it will accommodate a rapid transit route in the future, linking Downtown Markham with the rest of the Greater Toronto Area.

In addition to daytime shopping, it offers plenty of choice for caf� and bistro dining, picnicking and people watching. A vibrant gathering place after hours, Simcoe Promenade is the place for being entertained after work, when the sun sets.

The Entertainment District, located in the central portion along Simcoe Promenade is directly connected to the shopping district and The Piazza by the evocative Gallery. Cinemas, restaurants, caf�s, bars and nightclubs set the stage here for see-and-be-seen style, day and night.

The central park, still in design development, is a 10-acre urban park that completes the downtown core. Home to varied and impressive public art and cultural activities, the park is the gateway to visit and explore the Rouge River valley. Enjoy the exceptional view from your brownstone living room bay window, should you choose to live in old world elegance along its manicured edge.

Neighbourhood Parks located throughout Downtown Markham are interconnected and lead to The Piazza and the downtown core. A rousing October evening soccer game or a sunny spring morning tai chi class in a nearby parkette beckon just beyond your front door.

Downtown Markham offers a variety of parks � some that offer naturally planted areas and some that transition to the nearby valley; some that feature ornamental gardens and some offering children�s playgrounds; some paved and some landscaped; some for people-watching and some for settling down with the latest best-selling novel.

dm5.jpg

Our Vision

We believe that place making is the essence of real estate development.

Neither fads, nor formulaic products make successful places. Downtown Markham will appeal to all the senses � sight, sound, smell, taste and touch. It will fuse a rich mix of aesthetic design, memorable activities, the natural environment and beauty with the dreams of the people who live, work, visit and enjoy themselves here.

On the weekends, visit a farmers� market in The Piazza, enjoy a jazz quartet in the central park, shop in luxury boutiques along High Street or sip a steaming latt� in the piazzas and parks that await discovery throughout Downtown Markham.

Explore the Rouge River valley, the area�s greatest natural asset that leads to regional parks and a host of summer and winter outdoor attractions in Downtown Markham.

-----------------------​

I believe this sales pitch makes some dubious forecasts, like getting international luxury stores onto their "High Street" or saying "au revoir" to shopping malls (there's shopping malls east and west of DM on Hwy 7), but the intent of DM is still pretty good.

I see some parallels between DM and Mississauga City Centre, or rather, pages DM took from MCC. "Placemaking" is mentioned in DM literature. Events at the "Piazza" reminds me of the list of events that will take place in MCC's public plazas. I especially find it interesting that DM's creation is attributed to the vision of the people of Markham. Sounds like Remington is cozying up to civic pride in Markham the same way as developers in MCC. I think Remington is going to get into hot water for this. A Markham that continues to sprawl while DM is being developed makes the Remington statement sound like hypocrisy.

www.downtownmarkham.ca/

National Post:

Link to article

Markham unveils urban ambitions
$3-billion project: High-density centre fits with province's priorities

Natalie Alcoba, National Post
Published: Saturday, April 01, 2006

Markham has embarked on an ambitious plan to bring the most attractive qualities of urban life to a suburban centre.

Downtown Markham is nearly 100 hectares of open space now, but one day it will be a "legitimate downtown" complete with commercial businesses that come up to the streetside, residential units, a European-style piazza at its core and a tree-lined pedestrian promenade that runs from east to west.

Developed entirely by The Remington Group of Companies, the project is touted as a "high-intensity area" that is corralled by Highway 407, the Rouge River valley, Warden Avenue and the GO train tracks near Kennedy Road. It will provide the town of Markham -- a blend of four communities that includes Markham proper, Thornhill, Milliken Mills and Unionville -- with a central gathering place. Ground is expected to break on the first residential section -- 175 luxury town manors and a condo development in the area's western most reaches -- this year. It may be as many 15 years before the $3-billion project is complete.

"For 12 years this has been one of my biggest visions and it's coming together now in a way that makes me feel that we've got the right ingredients," said Don Cousens, Mayor of Markham. "There are no other communities [in North America] building a whole other town centre like we are."

The vision for this project exists alongside a provincial government edict aimed at managing growth by keeping a lid on urban sprawl. The population in the Greater Golden Horseshoe is expected to balloon to 11.5 million people by 2031, an increase of 3.7 million, and the province has pledged to support intense, compact and mixed-use development -- just the type of place that Downtown Markham purports to be.

"We wanted to provide an environment where one literally can live, shop work and play in a pedestrian friendly environment," said Serena Quaglia, director of marketing for The Remington Group.

Ms. Quaglia called Downtown Markham "sustainable because we're not gobbling up the countryside." The entire plot of land earmarked as the new downtown is owned by The Remington Group.

There will be space to construct places of worship, community centres and schools. Downtown Markham will have nearly 30 hectares of parkland and open space. Once complete, there will be room for 9,500 people to live and 16,000 people to work.

Central to this plan is a goal of reducing residents' dependence on vehicles.

The main promenade, which will stretch about one kilometre, will be open to public transit and pedestrians, but closed to all other vehicles.

"We can honestly say we're different because we are offering an alternative solution to commuting and car reliance," Ms. Quaglia said.

The plan also embodies the qualities of urban life designed right: more pedestrian space, low rise buildings that don't block out the sun and a public-transit-friendly design. Planners have opted for street parking and vertical parking lots, as opposed to sprawling sheets of concrete for vehicles.

The level of public consultation on the project has been unique, said Ms. Quaglia, as developers used ideas from the people to make "density" both engaging and acceptable.

Mayor Cousens admitted that ordinarily, "density" is a scary word for any suburban dweller, who escapes the saturation of a city for a little more space. "People are now understanding that there is a shortage of property and beginning to accept that we're going to need more people per square foot than before," he said.

who wants to bet me that this will become Toronto's new urban Chinatown. They'll build all this and it will fill up and then become covered in garbage and dirt just like spadina.

This Downtown Markham project will surely raise the real estate value in the Markham area. According to the comparable GTA stats, this is already happening.

Yeah, again, nice renderings, plans and articles. However, like I said before it's going to take over 20 plus years to transform an empty field into an urban and real "downtown".

Part of the problem I see is that there is only one major developing the plan. That can be a good thing, in terms of sticking to an overall design theme, but there could be many potential problems in the future, i.e. the company going bankrupt and not being able to complete the design, or the real estate market may crash and the land could sit empty for years.

However, it's a good start.

Louroz

who wants to bet me that this will become Toronto's new urban Chinatown. They'll build all this and it will fill up and then become covered in garbage and dirt just like spadina.

I am somewhat offended by that statement. I suggest you take a good look at Chinese places in Toronto, including Chinese malls and some of the cleaner parts of Chinatown, before you make a statement like that.

Funny how suburban leaders who wanted little to do with downtown now want their own downtowns.

True. Sorry if i offended. I was just goin by what i see on spadina. Hopefully it won't be that.

"Part of the problem I see is that there is only one major developing the plan."

But Downtown Markham is only a part of Markham Centre at large, so it may not be a big deal at all.

Wylie, you shouldn't be offended. The reason why Chinatown sometimes appears dirty has nothing to do with the predominant ethnic group. Anytime you have that many people condensed into a small area, with fresh food being sold on the streets and falling onto the sidewalk, things are bound to get a bit dirty looking. And when most of the stores are located in 100 year old buildings and basements, that doesn't help either.

At night once all the non locals have left, the store owners personally spray down the sidewalks in front of their stores, and streetsweepers wash every square inch of the road. First thing in the morning, Chinatown is as clean as any other part of the city.

Back