News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 798     0 

Roncesvalles Reconstruction

26 August 2010, early AM and rather blurry--next time I'll take the extra 5s of thought required to find a trash can to use as a temp tripod.:)

dsc02684u.jpg

507 to be routed up Roncesvalles to Dundas West Station... sort of.

From the TTC Service Advisories:

501 Queen - Track maintenance
Streetcars replaced by buses west of Roncesvalles Avenue.
Starting Sunday, September 5 until late November 2010

Buses will replace streetcars west of Roncesvalles on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, during track maintenance on The Queensway and will replace both the 504 KING temporary bus service on Roncesvalles Avenue and the 501/301 QUEEN streetcar service on The Queensway and Lake Shore Boulevard.

501/301 QUEEN streetcars will operate between Neville Park Loop and Sunnyside Loop.

501/504 301 REPLACEMENT buses will operate between Dundas West Station and Long Branch Loop, running westbound via south and east on Dundas, south on Lansdowne, west on Queen, west on Queensway, south on Park Lawn and west on Lake Shore. Eastbound buses will run east Lake Shore, north on Park Lawn, east on Queensway and north on Roncesvalles.

504 KING streetcars will resume their regular routing via King Street, west of Shaw Street, to Roncesvalles Yard.

313 JANE all night and the 504 KING REPLACEMENT buses will continue to run south and east on Dundas Street, south on Lansdowne and west on Queen and return north on Roncesvalles.

Additional track construction will begin on King Street West at Jameson Avenue in October.

Construction has ground to a crawl this week with virtually no work done. I am uncertain as to why.

Perhaps because they are running on schedule (good weather and all that) and need to wait for the pre-determined closure dates for intersections. I also think that theTTC move staff around from project to project and they have certainly been quite busy on Parliament this week - to get it pretty much done from Dundas to King and ready for the work to start on the King/Parliament section - this starts on Tuesday.

Last edited:
From the Roncesvalles Avenue Reconstruction TTC Track Reconstruction, Road Reconfiguration and Reconstruction / Resurfacing, and Streetscaping website, click on this link to download the PDF Construction Notice.

INTERSECTION CLOSURE AT RONCESVALLES AVENUE AND HOWARD PARK AVENUE
The reconstruction of the curved tracks at the intersection of Roncesvalles Avenue and Howard Park Avenue will require a full closure of the intersection from 11:00 pm, Sunday, September 19, 2010 to 5:00 am, Wednesday, October 6, 2010.

Details and impacts of the intersection closure are as follow:
• Roncesvalles Avenue
- General traffic travelling northbound on Roncesvalles Avenue will be detoured westbound onto High Park Boulevard.
- One northbound traffic lane on Roncesvalles Avenue, from High Park Boulevard to Grenadier Road, will be accessible to local traffic only.
- There will be no northbound access beyond Grenadier Road.
- Southbound lanes on Roncesvalles Avenue will be closed at Dundas Street West; southbound traffic on Dundas Street West will be directed to continue eastbound on Dundas Street West.​
• Howard Park Avenue
- Howard Park Avenue will be closed to traffic from Sunnyside Avenue to Dundas Street West.​
• Sidestreets
- Constance Street and Marmaduke Street will be closed at Roncesvalles Avenue; Constance Street and Marmaduke Street will be converted into temporary two-way streets from Sunnyside Avenue to Roncesvalles Avenue with entry from or exit to Sunnyside Avenue only.
- Neepawa Avenue will be closed at Roncesvalles Avenue; Neepawa Avenue will be converted into a temporary two-way street from Roncesvalles Avenue to Lynd Avenue with entry from or exit to Lynd Avenue only.
- Vehicles travelling eastbound on Hewitt Avenue will be permitted to travel northbound only on Roncesvalles Avenue.
- Boustead Avenue will be closed at Roncesvalles Avenue; Boustead Avenue will be converted into a temporary two-way street from Roncesvalles Avenue to Alhambra Avenue.
- Vehicles travelling westbound on Ritchie Avenue will be permitted to travel northbound only on Roncesvalles Avenue; there will be no access to Ritchie Avenue from Roncesvalles Avenue.​

• TTC Service
- The northbound bus on Roncesvalles Avenue will be detoured via High Park Boulevard and Parkside Avenue to Keele Station.
- Streetcar service on Howard Park Avenue will be diverted to Dundas West Station.​

Last edited:
Meanwhile...

As the Roncesvalles Polish Festival is postponed until September, 2011 because of the construction, from the Roncesvalles BIA:

The 2010 Ukrainian Festival has selected Poland as their guest nation and has asked the Roncesvalles Polish Festival to represent Poland.

Roncesvalles Village and the Roncesvalles Polish Festival will appear in the festival parade on Saturday at 11:00 and at the opening ceremonies that follow. We will also have a booth during the festival near Durie St.

Radość Joy Dance Group, a perennial favourite at the Roncesvalles Polish Festival, will perform on the main stage at 2:00 on Saturday.

We’re happy to offer a preview of next year’s festival and showcase our wonderful neighbourhood at the same time.

The Toronto Ukrainian Festival runs from Friday September 17 through Sunday September 19.

ukadvillagercmyk.jpg

Roncesvalles: The origin and history of that name...

WKLis: The name "Roncesvalles" has intrigued me for a long time and I was wondering if you knew or can direct me to find out what the origin or history of that name was?
To me it is an absolutely Toronto name that sticks in my mind...
LI MIKE

Last edited:
WKLis: The name "Roncesvalles" has intrigued me for a long time and I was wondering if you knew or can direct me to find out what the origin or history of that name was?
To me it is an absolutely Toronto name that sticks in my mind...
LI MIKE

Walter O'Hara named the street after the Battle of Roncesvalles which took place in the Roncesvalles gorge in Spain in 1813 against the retreating army of Napoleon.

See Wikipedia as a starting point.

This is on the Roncesvalles BIA's site:

Early History

Much of the land west of Roncesvalles was once part of Sunnyside Farm, owned by John Howard, Toronto's first surveyor and one of Canada's greatest architects. In 1873, Howard donated a large chunk of land to the City of Toronto. In 1890, he also donated his beloved Colborne Lodge and the surrounding land. These great gifts formed most of what is today High Park, the largest in Toronto.

Colonel Walter O'Hara owned most of the land on the east, living on a large estate he named West Lodge. He named Roncesvalles after the gorge where he fought during the Battle of the Pyrenees in 1813. Many other neighbourhood streets have an O'Hara connection, such as Marion (named for his wife), and Constance (named for his daughter). Fermanagh is the county of his birth in Ireland. The Colonel died in 1874.

Residential homes began to appear from the early 1900s on, as Toronto experienced a massive building boom. For the first half of the 20th century, Roncesvalles residents were mostly of British origin. In the post WWII years, a large number of Polish immigrants settled in the area, setting up churches, banks and businesses which remain important local institutions. Every year, Roncesvalles celebrates the Polish contribution to Toronto's cultural mosaic with the Roncesvalles Village Polish Festival.

From the Roncesvalles BIA:

What are those green things sticking out of the ground?
waterhydrant.jpg

These are the new BIA-operated watering hydrants (see photo), which will help us to maintain the new trees and flower beds that are coming to Roncesvalles Avenue. There will be one watering hydrant at each new transit platform, for a total of twelve up and down the street.

I was on Roncesvalles today having brunch at Brad's Eatery before going for a walk in High Park. I lived on Geoffrey St. last year and see construction is still trudging along, how much longer until the sidewalks are worked on and everything is completed?

Back