News   Jun 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 788     0 

Roncesvalles Reconstruction

You've got that backward. The morons are the drivers who nearly run people over every DAY who are trying to board streetcars, despite the streetcars having been here for longer than cars. Based on your post, I'm guessing you're one of those people.
I'm not "one" of those people. I'm a driver and a TTC user (I mainly only drive for long distances or heavy objects I need to move). I'm one of those people who is sick of the government babysitting us with the trade off of more traffic congestion. I've passed plenty of streetcars on roncy in my car and have never come close to hitting anyone, nor would I ever drive by a streetcar with it's doors open.

Yes, lets blame the pedestrian and not the driver ignoring the streetcar and the laws that say they shouldn't be passing. The morons are the pedestrians exiting the streetcar, not the drivers. How can we make things harder for those poor drivers who will have to wait longer. Lets not have sympathy for the people who got hit by the law breaking drivers, lets have sympathy for the driver that hit the pedestrian while in the cool comfort of his automobile.

When we improve transit we should not be creating more traffic. That is totally counter intuitive. This will effect the transit riders as much as the car drivers. The more cars clogging the road because they can't get around streetcars = slower moving streetcars.

Ive been riding streetcars in Toronto for 25 years. I have not even had one close call with being hit by a car entering and exiting. Sure I've seen idiot drivers not stop and had to wait a second, but I always look first. We don't need our hands held like this. Less congestion should be the #1 goal in road/transit infrastructure planning for this city.

Last edited:
StIdes:

Perhaps a reread of what catcher said would be helpful:

Before the construction started two springs ago, it was virtually impossible to pass streetcars running along Roncesvalles. Passing happens only near Queen or Dundas. This is because of all the parked cars along the street which some members already mentioned

Please note that drivers are the ones who have been preventing that from happening.

AoD

Watching the video and photos of Roncesvalles without the streetcar tracks tells me how "ordinary" and quiet the street is without the tracks. It does not draw me in, just a road to get me from A to B, nothing else.
[...]
Roncesvalles needs the streetcars tracks and the streetcars that run on it, else it will slowly become just an "ordinary" street.

I don't find there is anything ordinary about Roncesvalles at all, streetcars or no. It's one of Toronto's better preserved urban streetscapes, and thankfully not too hipster-fied yet.

Had to smile when I saw these t-shirts in an Upper Roncy shop window last week:

dsc01965y.jpg

StIdes:

Before the construction started two springs ago, it was virtually impossible to pass streetcars running along Roncesvalles. Passing happens only near Queen or Dundas. This is because of all the parked cars along the street which some members already mentioned

Please note that drivers are the ones who have been preventing that from happening.

AoD

I live at Queen and Roncy and I use to work at Steeles and Keele for 5 years. I would drive north on roncy from queen all the way to bloor at 8:00am every weekday and would probably pass on average 2-3 streetcar. There are plenty of more places to pass streetcars other then queen and dundas. Every traffic light on Roncy is an easy streetcar pass. There are 3 sets of traffic lights alone on roncy that arent even major intersections (@ high park, howard park and the fork at dundas), that's a chance to pass a street car ruffly every 450 meters the way the lights are spaced.

I live at Queen and Roncy and I use to work at Steeles and Keele for 5 years. I would drive north on roncy from queen all the way to bloor at 8:00am every weekday and would probably pass on average 2-3 streetcar. There are plenty of more places to pass streetcars other then queen and dundas. Every traffic light on Roncy is an easy streetcar pass. There are 3 sets of traffic lights alone on roncy that arent even major intersections (@ high park, howard park and the fork at dundas), that's a chance to pass a street car ruffly every 450 meters the way the lights are spaced.

Obviously when all the stores are closed there are virtually no cars parked outside of them making passing a breeze.

Obviously when all the stores are closed there are virtually no cars parked outside of them making passing a breeze.

It made no difference what time of day it was. There are plenty of places to pass streetcars on roncy, it's no different then queen king or college. I don't see them suggesting "bump-outs" for those streets.

It made no difference what time of day it was. There are plenty of places to pass streetcars on roncy, it's no different then queen king or college. I don't see them suggesting "bump-outs" for those streets.

Bumpouts may look like laybys in some circumstances, where parking is allowed. There is to be (pay) parking on Roncesvalles Avenue even during the normal rush hours, after the construction is finished. During construction, where available, parking is free.

Bumpouts will not be installed where there is no parking/no stopping during the rush hours, such as Queen Street.

Where space is available, laybys (parking indentations into the sidewalk) will be installed. The Queensway west of Mimico Creek and east of Islington Avenue is an example of a road with laybys. You may see laybys currently used as bus stops, but the trend is now towards using laybys for parking.

Last edited:
What is the projected completion for this vs when we really think it will get done? Will I be able to ride my bike down Roncy the coming Spring?

Work is progressing rapidly--most of the street has the tracks laid up to Dundas&Roncy, with maybe four block stretch to do. I could see the tracks done by early October.

Sungs--you can ride your bike down the street quite easily these days, although I prefer quieter side streets myself.

The intersection of Dundas Street West and Roncesvalles is being closed off for construction. The TTC will be detouring buses, streetcars in the Roncesvalles / Dundas area, from August 23 to September 7. See Transit Toronto for more information at this link.

I would have preferred that they continue working on the roadway south and north of Howard Park Avenue until after the CNE. However, I guess they wanted the intersection clear before Labour Day, because of expected increases in traffic after Labour Day.

Back