1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 542     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does everything *look* psychologically tickety-boo over at Doug's house?

Me, I say no. They creep me out. YMMV.

Then again, at the arts debate, Doug *invited* us all to see his art collection (whatever that might be). Somebody should take him up on that offer.

Oh, and a bow to the carpet/drapes discussion: "hair is gravy", if you get my drift. (And bike-riding pinkos are "gross".)

Must say: If someone had told me 60 days ago that the humane, conscientious (but not perfect - are you perfect?) individual who goes by the name of Olivia Chow would be in third place and falling I would have replied: "C'mon. Who told you that? Nick Kouvalis? Doug Ford?"

Though I always allowed for that--esp. given that even when she was leading for much of the year, she seldom much broke the 40% threshold. The softness was always there--maybe not the kind of softness that'd plummet to Barbara Hall or Joe Pants-like levels, but...

Then again, at the arts debate, Doug *invited* us all to see his art collection (whatever that might be). Somebody should take him up on that offer.

Oh, and a bow to the carpet/drapes discussion: "hair is gravy", if you get my drift. (And bike-riding pinkos are "gross".)

A man of the people, a regular Joe that collects art and invites all to see... If the "art" he is collecting, if this is in any way true, somehow is a reflection of his classless demeanour, it must be trashy as hell.

I don't think it's quite the terrible misstep it's been made out to be, but it seems like a symbol of the problem with her campaign so far. As stunts go, it's not entirely irrelevant and it wasn't a huge waste of everyone's time,

I can agree that it may not be a huge fumble, in the larger picture by the time Oct ends. But it just adds to the tally of missteps her campaign has done. I got what she was trying to do, Tory's plan = back of a napkin plan dig, some people may find that clever. I can see it working with better delivery maybe, but it came across as cornball to me. The flying train jab and the way she continued pushing the bit, that was when it just became for me at least, "please mrs. Chow, please stop.".

What it doesn't do is make things any clearer as to how she would do things. If she's going to outperform DoFo at the very least, she needs to stop talking about the problem with Tory's ideas and show people what she has planned.

+1, that's it exactly.

On a slight tangent, not addressed to you the lemur, just the thread in general. I know tensions might be high and patience is very low with the Ford Follies. But FWIW, it's Rob, Doug, and Mikey that are running for seats. Doug's daughters are not (at this time). INB4 pearl clutching and "The Fords started this war!". The warning about those who fight monsters and gazing too long into the abyss and all that. I think a very wise man said that once, I believe his name was Conan the Barbarian. Not sure if he's running in this merryl race or not though.

The best way to motivate someone like Doug is to call him a chicken. Someone should tell him he's too chicken to drop out of the race and move to Chicago permanently. It'd probably work.

Chicken+McFly-BTTF.gif

Attachments

• Chicken+McFly-BTTF.gif
    Chicken+McFly-BTTF.gif
    499.3 KB · Views: 717

Given that his wife seems to be the one who really likes to flaunt "the finer things in life", my bets are any art collection they may have (that isn't Dogs playing poker or limited edition Mötley Crüe posters) was chosen by her and Doug was just trying to act as though he had any say in their choice.

Only slightly related, I totally see Doug believing that women are in charge of designing the home, and taking care of dinner and the kids, and the "important stuff" is the domain of men.

ETA: Squeeeeee! First (6000) post!

Last edited:
A man of the people, a regular Joe that collects art and invites all to see... If the "art" he is collecting, if this is in any way true, somehow is a reflection of his classless demeanour, it must be trashy as hell.

I admit I am curious to see what art Doug has. I also admit my biased guess a tour of Doug's collection might be similar to this SCTV skit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp42URPCwEA

But maybe I'd be proven wrong, and Doug is not only a salt of the earth kind of fella, but a kind and generous patron of the arts and culture to boot.

Now we'll have to find another place to put the forty foot bronze of saint Rob...

TorontoStar 8:08am via Hootsuite
BREAKING: Maple Leaf Square name not changing, MLSE says.

I admit I am curious to see what art Doug has. I also admit my biased guess a tour of Doug's collection might be similar to this SCTV skit.

But maybe I'd be proven wrong, and Doug is not only a salt of the earth kind of fella, but a kind and generous patron of the arts and culture to boot.

He's probably referring to his mom's place, which by various descriptions is decorated in the continental nouveau fromage style.

I don't think it's quite the terrible misstep it's been made out to be, but it seems like a symbol of the problem with her campaign so far. As stunts go, it's not entirely irrelevant and it wasn't a huge waste of everyone's time, but it seems more like a party trick - her impression of Tory's transit plan and his general approach to problems: we'll figure something out, I can get money, use the old-boy network to call in some favours and get it done. What it doesn't do is make things any clearer as to how she would do things. If she's going to outperform DoFo at the very least, she needs to stop talking about the problem with Tory's ideas and show people what she has planned.

You don't show up in a debate and decide to draw on a napkin to make your point. Did she not learn from the Stockwell Day's "No Two-Tiered Healthcare" signage fiasco? It's amateur hour - and speaks to one's inability even package a message properly. Not something I'd look for in a mayor.

He's probably referring to his mom's place, which by various descriptions is decorated in the continental nouveau fromage style.

Well, I'd thought "the park" would be a good place, at least the dogs would get something to do their business on (instead of the trees). Oh, and humans too.

AoD

Yep, Tommy Shanks Hall. Nice place.

Seriously, I am starting to have dreams (nightmares?) about this election and the players. This cycle has turned into an obsession, that I hope will be lifted on October 28.

I watched the debate yesterday, and in a perfect world I would toss my support behind Ari, and hell maybe even Morgan. but tory will mst likely be my choice or frankly whoever has the best chance of beat, just grinding, Ford into the ground. Plus I have put my house up for sale and m moving to Ward 2 to vote for Domise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back