613     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 566     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will come out in back channels - remember - the hospitals still operate under Provincial jurisdiction. Could you imagine if they did ask Wynne for an extension and after it was granted the tumor was known to be benign from the get go - lots of heads would roll.

I'm pretty sure the outcome from this will be the speedy passing of ranked ballot legislation for municipal elections.

speedy? the city of toronto ask the provincial government for ranked ballots in june 2013!

speedy? the city of toronto ask the provincial government for ranked ballots in june 2013!

So are you saying Council did vote for ranked balloting?

Some people on twitter Lionize Rob Ford, idiots are everywhere.

Well, they got to vote for who they got to vote for.

AoD

The problem is she hasn't positioned herself for anything thus far, other than the fall from first place. I don't think this is an election where you expects fratricide and coming up in the middle.

AoD

Tory was attacking Doug, who is NOT sick, and IS now running for mayor. What could possibly be wrong with that? Wake up and pay attentionToronto voters!

I said the same thing in the election thread.

Tory didn't say anything NASTY, he said things everyone knows about how Doug gets along with council, the premier etc.

Olivia's toothless performance today was the final nail in her coffin, IMHO. She wouldn't even agree with reporters, multiple times, that Rob and Doug have similar values. She wants to wait and see - Jeeze, lady, ROB SAID IN HIS STATEMENT that's why Doug is running!!!

She cares so much about Rob's health (and he might not even be sick) and how much he loves the city. I guess no one told her he feels well enough to run for council. It was a wholly pathetic performance and, I guess, emblematic of the general lack of fire we've seen the whole campaign for her. The people who are die hard supporters who want to know why she lost should watch her barely-there speech today. Crikey, enough with "the children" already!

He went after Doug, not the ailing Rob. Doug can take care of himself. For once a candidate has said what Doug, and Rob by proxy, is: a lying, cheating thug.

I doubt that's going to cost Tory any votes among that small section of the electorate that would vote for Rob-but-not-Doug, certainly not such that they'd switch to Olivia. But if Doug and Tory get into prolonged sparring about this, Olivia might come off looking like the respectable choice.

Some people are fools. If Doug is so upset he could just stay home. No doubt one of the horse shit narratives they will try to run is that Doug is "nobly carrying out a sad duty to run"; buying into not saying anything negative about Doug because of Rob is buying into that kind of horse shit narrative.

ETA: I do not say this because I am a Tory supporter. I would prefer Mayor Chow.

Adam is wrong. People who are that partisan...I mean, he's as blind as the Ford Nation types because he REALLY believes Olivia Chow is, at a fundamental level, so so so much better than all these other fools. I am not beholden to Tory or Chow and I know what I saw today. He seemed decisive and straightforward and she was, as others have said, dodgy and insipid.

Adam says she is taking the "high road" because Doug's brother is sick.
Oh, does he mean the one who signed up to run for council today?

Fact is, the Fords think they're ENTITLED and that's why, putting the tumour aside, THREE Fords - in all their grief over poor Rob - signed up to run for public office today. Do the Adam C-F's of the world see some humble nobility in Doug taking one for the team while his brother begs him to not let all the great work they've done go for naught? Just please *cough cough* win one for the Gipper?

Man, I wish everyone would take the high road and be awesome and moral and do "the right thing," but get a clue; this is the real world and what the Fords did today was not heroic or laudable. It's as cynical as anything else they've done. If Rob hadn't signed up for Ward 2 and/or if Doug hadn't taken his place as a birthright, and if Mikey hadn't followed Diane's instructions to take the trustee gig he too so rightly deserves I might feel otherwise, but they didn't and I don't.

(And, hey, I hope Rob is OK but it's all there, black and white, in his statement. He's facing one of the greatest challenges in his life - this guy might actually have cancer or something very serious - but he's going to run for council; knowing he could be sick or undergoing treatment. Knowing, in fact, he is likely to win re-election, even if he spends the entirety of the rest of the campaign in a hospital bed. That's not some noble sacrifice. Giving up public office to concentrate on what's important would have been.)

It's like Olivia's heart just isn't in it.

It feels like she is only running because a lot of people asked her to. If she doesn't get elected I doubt she'll be heart broken about it.

I think she is going through the motions right now IMO. She just wants this to be over

Norm Wilner @normwilner
"Despite receiving some very difficult news ..." ... which we were told yesterday wouldn't be confirmed for another week. #TOpoli

But the results were supposed to take a week.

Sorry Mag, you've got that backwards. The tears are the optics part. This is about Doug finally being the top dog. He loves every moment of it. Give my family privacy, what a joke.

Doug is really choked up. I think Rob is in seriously bad shape.

They have more information than we do. I *think* that this is more than a benign cyst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back