348     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 507     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 628     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people are saying John Tory is a jerk on twitter because of the statement.

He went after Doug, not the ailing Rob. Doug can take care of himself. For once a candidate has said what Doug, and Rob by proxy, is: a lying, cheating thug.

I doubt that's going to cost Tory any votes among that small section of the electorate that would vote for Rob-but-not-Doug, certainly not such that they'd switch to Olivia. But if Doug and Tory get into prolonged sparring about this, Olivia might come off looking like the respectable choice.

Agreed. Tory handled that presser like a BOSS and he looked mayoral. Chow looked incredibly weak.

Speaking as someone who will probably vote for Olivia (I like her on transit and housing; JT not so much), I find it odd that she would be gracious and patient in her reaction to today's developments, then go CP24 and complain about John Tory's aggressive take. Adam C-F is on Twitter saying she's trying to raise the tone. I would have agreed if she hadn't turned around and had a go at John Tory on television over his approach. God, I hate political campaigns.

ETA: I think I've gone off-topic. Sorry.

Nice: CP24 shows Doug parking his vehicle with the hazards flashing in the AMBULANCE BAY of Mount Sinai Hospital.

Talk about "Mr Entitlement"!

What you can't see in that photo is that Doug quickly applied a magnetic AMBULANCE decal to the side to the Lincoln, quickly whipped up by the people at Deco.

Can anyone confirm that these are the shirts from the most-recent Ford Fest? I ask for reasons that are probably obvious.

teamford.png

Yes, yes we're all rabid political animals here on this forum, and on Twitter/#TOpoli, and we're all eager to see someone rip out Dougie's throat.

But don't forget about mushy middle voters who (inexplicably to some of us here perhaps) believe that the Ford family are human beings who are going through a hard time right now. Even if you think the tumor is all a big sideshow conspiracy, most of the public I think would be reluctant to draw that conclusion.

I think Olivia is mindful of what it was like for her back when Jack Layton was first diagnosed with cancer. And mindful of her public image at that time—which is the source of much of the goodwill that the voting public still has for her. It would seem very inconsistent if she were to come out swinging just a couple of days after Rob's bad news. When the news of Jack's passing broke, Robbie gave the most sincere and moving of the many public tributes I heard or read on that day.

RF leaves the Toronto Mayor campaign and some appropriate songs...

Everyone: I just found out about RF dropping out of the Toronto Mayor campaign in the past hour (or so) and
I am reading the UT posts and media coverage that has been posted...Thanks all!

With RF's exit two songs come to mind: The first one dates from 1969-70 and is familiar to sports fans:
Steam-Goodbye www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

The second one dates from 1974 and is one of the better Bachman-Turner Overdrive songs:
"Let It Ride" www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmSXIOlN6mY I think the lyrics of this song - about lying - are appropriate...

With RF's exiting the Mayor Campaign and DF taking his place the coming election looks to be more interesting
and noting thoughts that John Tory should win handily what will Olivia Chow do? Is it worth the while for David
Soknacki to get back in the race after dropping out? Can RF win the Ward 2 race in place of his nephew Mike despite
his looming health problems?

As we all know only time will tell...LI MIKE

Last edited:
Some people are saying John Tory is a jerk on twitter because of the statement.

Some people are fools. If Doug is so upset he could just stay home. No doubt one of the horse shit narratives they will try to run is that Doug is "nobly carrying out a sad duty to run"; buying into not saying anything negative about Doug because of Rob is buying into that kind of horse shit narrative.

ETA: I do not say this because I am a Tory supporter. I would prefer Mayor Chow.

So if Rob is elected, he continues to be eligible for benefits and insurance, right? If he stated in the mayoral race and lost, no more benefits.

And I wish CBC would stop saying that no one saw this coming. Don't they read here?

Speaking as someone who will probably vote for Olivia (I like her on transit and housing; JT not so much), I find it odd that she would be gracious and patient in her reaction to today's developments, then go CP24 and complain about John Tory's aggressive take. Adam C-F is on Twitter saying she's trying to raise the tone. I would have agreed if she hadn't turned around and had a go at John Tory on television over his approach. God, I hate political campaigns.

ETA: I think I've gone off-topic. Sorry.

Chow seems to be grabbing at anything to reboot her campaign. She and her key staff know they are slipping in many wards all over the city. I said this many months ago that she does not seem like she truly wants to be mayor and it's really starting to show. John Tory, on the other hand, came out and controlled the whole room like he was already mayor and he reminded everyone he wants Rob Ford to get better but he really wants to become Toronto's next mayor aka reminding everyone Toronto residents still have to pick the next mayor and a Ford is not what the city needs.

Adam is wrong. People who are that partisan...I mean, he's as blind as the Ford Nation types because he REALLY believes Olivia Chow is, at a fundamental level, so so so much better than all these other fools. I am not beholden to Tory or Chow and I know what I saw today. He seemed decisive and straightforward and she was, as others have said, dodgy and insipid.

Adam says she is taking the "high road" because Doug's brother is sick.
Oh, does he mean the one who signed up to run for council today?

Fact is, the Fords think they're ENTITLED and that's why, putting the tumour aside, THREE Fords - in all their grief over poor Rob - signed up to run for public office today. Do the Adam C-F's of the world see some humble nobility in Doug taking one for the team while his brother begs him to not let all the great work they've done go for naught? Just please *cough cough* win one for the Gipper?

Man, I wish everyone would take the high road and be awesome and moral and do "the right thing," but get a clue; this is the real world and what the Fords did today was not heroic or laudable. It's as cynical as anything else they've done. If Rob hadn't signed up for Ward 2 and/or if Doug hadn't taken his place as a birthright, and if Mikey hadn't followed Diane's instructions to take the trustee gig he too so rightly deserves I might feel otherwise, but they didn't and I don't.

(And, hey, I hope Rob is OK but it's all there, black and white, in his statement. He's facing one of the greatest challenges in his life - this guy might actually have cancer or something very serious - but he's going to run for council; knowing he could be sick or undergoing treatment. Knowing, in fact, he is likely to win re-election, even if he spends the entirety of the rest of the campaign in a hospital bed. That's not some noble sacrifice. Giving up public office to concentrate on what's important would have been.)

Last edited:
Don Peat @reporterdonpeat
"He doesn't know where the journey is going to take him at this point" Cllr Peter Leon on Rob Ford dropping out of the mayor's race #TOpoli

Time to vote out Leon...

After hearing the Hotmail Lawyer on CP24 just now - her commented on the fact that Tory will have to shelve his attack ads he had ready to go against RoFo - I wonder if the Tory camp on its hands on the Crack Video footages...? Would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back