97     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 168     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 375     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not Jimmi, but it seems that every time this comes up I'm at work and too busy to post, or something. I've always thought though that between the OPP's statement that there was nothing there, and Rob going to rehab, that would be a perfect time for the TPS to let things drop, in a face-saving way, and probably no one but the people following the story closely (i.e. the people in this thread) would even remember that Brazen 2 was a thing. But no, since then, Giroux has come forward saying the investigation is ongoing. Which leads me to believe that something is up, and they're playing the long game. Otherwise, why make such a statement, when they could have let it drop?

How about the name, Brazen II? Is there a Brazen I? Or are they referring to two brazen lawbreakers, and if so, which two - RoFo and Lisi, or the RoFoDoFo machine?

If there was an actual deal for Stintz to take over the CFL she wouldn't be talking about it. Regardless, she has none of the skills that a professional sports commissioner would need. Could you imagine her trying to negotiate internet broadcast rights, or facilitating an ownership change of the Argos?

Nope.

How about the name, Brazen II? Is there a Brazen I? Or are they referring to two brazen lawbreakers, and if so, which two - RoFo and Lisi, or the RoFoDoFo machine?

Brazen was an investigation in a different area of the City with a different focus as I recall.

You are the last person I would argue with Vintage, but the same might be said of an endorsement by any withdrawing candidate. Anyways, I'm not wed to this idle speculation, I just find it interesting no one's said "Tory!" as soon as Stintz mentioned the CFL. Also, no one's mentioned GBH drops among Ford's possible self-medicating regime.

That's very kind of you to say! I certainly have no expert knowledge, but it just seems logical to me that if any of Stintz's supporters were leaning to Ford, they probably would have supported him in the first place, rather than her. Like the no growth for Ford stats that the polls have been showing. She had 5% of the voters? That might be a little generous. Realistically, how many of them would go to Ford? 1%? Less? Hardly worth a scenario where threats are involved. I would imagine Tory is the one who benefits from her pulling out. But then, I'm just an armchair analyst making guesses. :)

a glimpse from inside DiFo's last night
http://instagram.com/p/r-5IWfmgS5/

I don't know whether to read anything into the (if I may delete the hashtag abuse) "ThankYou For Inviting Us To Your Private House Event". Like--does "invite" mean "didn't pay their way"? Hmmmm...

Oh, and I'm still wondering--what kinds of, uh, luminaries were there? Didn't they promise luminaries and noteworthies? Sure, this was something like a "Cachet VIP" version of a Ford Fest <chuckle>--but in past years, the backyard Ford Fests were like Conservative Foti Fests, where you could run into a Flaherty or Hudak or Harper or *harrumph* John Tory or whomever. *Big* stuff. Was there anyone along those lines there presently? Or at least, Cherry/Chuvalo/etc? Or any sitting Councillors like Nunziata (was that Gary Crawford in one of those Mikey tweets--if so, it might have been more as "State Portraitist" than anything)? Seems to me that it was mostly the Fords and Ford-slate candidates (including Mikey) that were there.

But it does seem to me that a fair number of guests were, rather than tinfoil-hat hair-shirt loonies, Apollo-esque business reps who owe a debt to the Fords for greasing a pole on their behalf..y'know, as in the Keith Ford quote from the Sun piece linked a few pages back...

“We opened a Chicago office during the business mission four years ago ... and they invited us and helped launch our Chicago office, which was fantastic,†Keith Ford said, adding the mayor visited their business, Electronics Recycling Services, last week.

“And we’ve had our own battles with the province dealing with certain regulations with our business, and we’ve called him and he’s been right there helping us.â€

...I've always thought though that between the OPP's statement that there was nothing there, and Rob going to rehab, that would be a perfect time for the TPS to let things drop, in a face-saving way, and probably no one but the people following the story closely (i.e. the people in this thread) would even remember that Brazen 2 was a thing. But no, since then, Giroux has come forward saying the investigation is ongoing. Which leads me to believe that something is up, and they're playing the long game. Otherwise, why make such a statement, when they could have let it drop?

I can't see anyone, journalist or cop like Gman, not wanting to totally own this fool. I hope to god there is a long game and they are sitting waiting for the perfect moment.

from where i sit, you both are perfectly reasonable on this. this is an ongoing investigation. the public has been given no evidence or indication to the contrary. in fact, as noted, TPS has maintained its stance consistently throughout. until we are told otherwise, the investigation is still ongoing.

it doesn't help, however, that sloppy or lazy journalism serves to muddy the waters. for instance:

CBC (via the huffington post), 1 august: 'Project Brazen 2 was a months-long investigation triggered by reports of a video allegedly showing Ford smoking crack, included surveillance on land, from the air and interviews with a series of former Ford staffers, police have said.'

sun news network/QMI, 30 july: 'Ford — who was openly critical of Blair for the ongoing Project Brazen 2 investigation that focused on him — declined to comment further and whether he supports the decision.'

toronto star, 1 august: 'Giroux has made no secret he wants a chance to question the mayor in connection with an ongoing investigation into his associates and the existence of a video showing Ford smoking what appears to be crack cocaine.'

G&M, 8 august: 'He's wrong. This is an ongoing criminal investigation run by an extremely experienced, very persistent investigator. That’s what this is about. It has nothing to do with anything else.' (mark pugash, in response to dennis morris' claim that the mayor's imminent subpoena was politically motivated to upset his campaign.)

whether it is the long game or not is another question, but i'm hard-pressed to point to any other explanation.

that nonsense with the suspension of OPP oversight was a public relations cockup from the get-go, and has never been satisfactorily explained in my reading. the only thing that still resonates from that confusing time is TPS' (i.e. giroux's) insistence that the investigation marches forward irrespectively.

the preponderance of evidence in TPS' possession suggests strongly that this is worth the time, the money and the intensive labour, and that they are in it for the long haul. if investigators have holes to fill, they'll wait. if they cannot fill those holes in time, we will hear of the investigation's closure.

giroux has consistently stated that his mandate is to investigate criminal activity involving the mayor and the mayor's office. i have always taken this to mean that the scope goes beyond the initial crack video and possible connections to anthony smith. giroux has also repeatedly made reference to simply following where the evidence leads -- or words to that effect.

in the meantime, march's trial date is a long, long way away. lots of time yet to pursue leads, observe behaviours, connect the pieces, and amp up the pressure on those who count most.

Last edited:
Dan Robson ‏@RobsonDan 27m
Took Rob Ford 10 mins to walk out of a lobby, receiving "I respect you man" handshakes and posing for pics. Everyone in his wake is glowing.

Dan Robson ‏@RobsonDan 27m
But we're in Burlington.

People outside of Toronto seem to love him for some reason At least they can't vote in the election.

Last edited:
from where i sit, you both are perfectly reasonable on this. this is an ongoing investigation. the public has been given no evidence or indication to the contrary. in fact, as noted, TPS has maintained its stance consistently throughout. until we are told otherwise, the investigation is still ongoing.

it doesn't help, however, that sloppy or lazy journalism serves to muddy the waters. for instance:

CBC (via the huffington post), 1 august: 'Project Brazen 2 was a months-long investigation triggered by reports of a video allegedly showing Ford smoking crack, included surveillance on land, from the air and interviews with a series of former Ford staffers, police have said.'

sun news network/QMI, 30 july: 'Ford — who was openly critical of Blair for the ongoing Project Brazen 2 investigation that focused on him — declined to comment further and whether he supports the decision.'

toronto star, 1 august: 'Giroux has made no secret he wants a chance to question the mayor in connection with an ongoing investigation into his associates and the existence of a video showing Ford smoking what appears to be crack cocaine.'

G&M, 8 august: 'He's wrong. This is an ongoing criminal investigation run by an extremely experienced, very persistent investigator. That’s what this is about. It has nothing to do with anything else.' (mark pugash, in response to dennis morris' claim that the mayor's imminent subpoena was politically motivated to upset his campaign.)

whether it is the long game or not is another question, but i'm hard-pressed to point to any other explanation.

that nonsense with the suspension of OPP oversight was a public relations cockup from the get-go, and has never been satisfactorily explained in my reading. the only thing that still resonates from that confusing time is TPS' (i.e. giroux's) insistence that the investigation marches forward irrespectively.

the preponderance of evidence in TPS' possession suggests strongly that this is worth the time, the money and the intensive labour, and that they are in it for the long haul. if investigators have holes to fill, they'll wait. if they cannot fill those holes in time, we will hear of the investigation's closure.

giroux has consistently stated that his mandate is to investigate criminal activity involving the mayor and the mayor's office. i have always taken this to mean that the scope goes beyond the initial crack video and possible connections to anthony smith. giroux has also repeatedly made reference to simply following where the evidence leads -- or words to that effect.

in the meantime, march's trial date is a long, long way away. lots of time yet to pursue leads, observe behaviours, connect the pieces, and amp up the pressure on those who count most.

Agree with all of this, wholeheartedly. This is my exact stance. Except you took the time to pull up supporting links, which I was too lazy to do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back