715     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.7K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that Tim's are franchises. Accordingly, the "I saw the security tape and it was Doug" came from franchise and NOT corporate office. Doug hands out Timmie's cards - betcha he buys them from this franchise. Good find re: Colley!!..Colley may well have leapt from franchise to Head office but first met Fords at the store. With Ford's the coincidences tend to usually be something more..

Not all Tims are franchises. It's a great growth strategy, because you're selling the blades and not the handle, so to speak; you minimize monetary risk for only a slight risk of reputation (often protected by severe legal penalties for infractions of franchise rules). However as time goes on and popularity grows, the cost of owning a big franchise name gets prohibitive and franchising companies lean towards owning their new stores. Better consistency and when you get that big, the risk of loss is minimal to the bottom line.

That said, according to the Tims website, they're still 95% franchise (down from 99% in 2012). I'm guessing most of the non-franchise growth has been in the US.

A friend of mine with a better grasp of Toronto politics than mine explained it this way.

If it's still a three-way race as we near election day, and it looks like Ford has any chance of winning because of a Tory-Chow split, then support will quickly flow to the candidate that can surely beat him.

The same thing happened in 2003, when it looked as if Tory might win, and Barbara Hall's support moved over to David Miller at the last moment.

Personally, I hope those anti-Tory voters are still living here, but nevertheless I find my friend's insight reassuring whenever a new poll comes out.

Crazification factor (alternatively known as the "Keyes constant") is a neologism coined by blogger John Rogers to refer to the portion of the electorate comprising the nuttiest of the wingnuts and the batshit crazy.

Let's assume the crazification factor is true--which it seems to be given the inexplicable polling results. And, let's do a little math.

Take a population of 2000.
25% will vote for insanity no matter what 25% of 2000= 500

However, of the 2000, only half vote. Therefore left with 1000 voters.
25% vote Ford=250

Clearly voter turnout will be greater than 50% in this election. (hopefully)
Assume a percentage increase of non Ford voters to 65% and that Ford Nayshun will remain at 50% turnout. (Assume no increase in FN folks due to hubris)

Then 65% of (2000-500) = 975

Split that between Chow and Tory (this is key--eliminate Stintz and move those votes to the forerunners) and...
975/2=487

480>250

What is needed is more participation from non Ford Nayshun. All is not lost. Do not give up the fight even if 25% won't vote any other way but Ford, by simply increasing voter turnout, he will become one for the record books.

Thank god the Chow for mayor thing is losing steam, i can live with Tory if Ford loses...clearly Chow is an even more city/suburb dividing candidate than even Ford. I wish some of the professional protesters that follow Ford around would call out Chow on her antics but we are all busy actually working, unless the Chow mob.

Thank god the Chow for mayor thing is losing steam, i can live with Tory if Ford loses...clearly Chow is an even more city/suburb dividing candidate than even Ford. I wish some of the professional protesters that follow Ford around would call out Chow on her antics but we are all busy actually working, unless the Chow mob.

Huh? Is that you Snow? :p

I wish some of the professional protesters that follow Ford around would call out Chow on her antics

"Antics"? Chow has run an extremely boring campaign -- the only thing of marginal note was her call for the Feds to ban handguns.

Yes, because all of those low income Ford Nayshun voters have jobs!

You talkin to me?

Oh no not you again. Remember when you insisted the first crack tape didn't exist? Good Times, eh?

But then why not buy the tape then and there? The Star would have LOVED to nail Ford, and for 200k they could have. You’re going to expect me to believe they passed on that opportunity for what...moral reasons? The Star is nothing more than a tabloid, I don’t buy that for a second. Unlike you, I don’t trust everything people in the media (such as those belonging to a very biased “news†organization) claim to have seen, buy it, make it public and show it. Anything else is hearsay.

Professional? Keep drinking the kool-aid. There is nothing to stop you from protesting Chow so why don't you put your money where your mouth is like the rfmg and horde protesters?

I wondered this myself. In reading the official language, my best guess is that the rules apply specifically to telemarketers and because Ford is not selling anything, he's not bound by them. It doesn't say this explicitly, mind, you, it's just my interpretation.

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/nrt-ntr-eng

The ADAD rules explain things well:

ADADs are permitted for calls when there is no attempt to sell, such as calls made for public service reasons, including calls made for emergency and administration purposes by police and fire departments, schools, hospitals, or for calls to schedule appointments.

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/nrt-ntr-eng#link04

You are right that there is no direct verbiage to prohibit the call but the call does not conform to the suggested calls for "public service", and is not considered "municipally important".

From this I think that 1) Dougie and company had no real idea what Robbie was doing or when he was returning, 2) It was assumed Musik would deal with everything as before but they pulled out, or 3) Dougie, the businessman, does not have the skills to look up policy/regulations for filing paperwork or running a crew... ah, staff to do it for him.

From this I think that 1) Dougie and company had no real idea what Robbie was doing or when he was returning, 2) It was assumed Musik would deal with everything as before but they pulled out, or 3) Dougie, the businessman, does not have the skills to look up policy/regulations for filing paperwork or running a crew... ah, staff to do it for him.

Or it could just mean that the city-paid staff that used to handle all the little details for off the book events fled en masse and the newbies have no clue what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back