545     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 641     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what are the odds Ford shows up at a street festival this weekend and proclaims it 'awesome', despite having voted against BIA levies to fund it?

Becky_BuckyBees

basic - From your silence on it, I am assuming that your contact via Reddit with this user name produced no response. Correct?

I would buy that! Especially if you rate the places based on condition of the bathroom and whether they give you a hard time if you're not a customer.

My favourite "public" washroom was the old Four Seasons Hotel on Avenue between Cumberland and Yorkville. (It's now being converted to condos while a new Four Seasons sprung up on Bay & Yorkville.) There was a side entrance on Avenue Road that was mostly always unlocked. No doorman or concierge desk there, you could continue into the main lobby or take the escalator to the second level where there was a restaurant (visited by many people who weren't necessarily hotel guests).

I would walk in and immediately go up the escalator, then go towards the restaurant -- the bathrooms were right before its entrance. And they were awesome! Clean, well appointed, with classical music softly piped in through speakers! :D I often wasn't dressed well enough to pass for a restaurant guest, but I could be a tourist. I saw many average looking American tourists in sneakers and cheesy t-shirts -- but they were well off enough to stay there! The key was to move quickly and purposefully, like you belonged in the hotel. Don't look around to see if anyone noticed you coming in or hesitate.

LOL!! Once again, the stuff you can pick up from this thread!

You should be able to pull that off at any major hotel as long as you appear to be a paying guest and have a rough idea where the washrooms are.
Another good example would be the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac @Quebec City. Their facilities are located adjacent to to conference rooms in the basement. And they are posh to boot....

Rob Ford, resignation-refusal expert, calls on someone else to resign

by Steve Kupferman
July 18, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Toronto Life

Nobody in Toronto politics has ignored more requests to resign than Rob Ford, but that hasn’t stopped him from making the same demand of another public servant. At a press conference yesterday, Ford demanded that Waterfront Toronto CEO John Campbell step aside over his organization’s spending, which has included nearly $1 million on furniture for Sugar Beach and around $600,000 for a washroom at Cherry Beach. (Waterfront Toronto has provided detailed explanations of both of those spending decisions, and they seem legit.) The irony of Ford advocating punishment for a public official who hasn’t, like him, been shown to have abused the public trust in almost every way short of outright theft or murder, has seemingly been lost on nobody. Even so, Campbell played it cool during an interview this morning with CBC’s Matt Galloway. “To a certain degree this comes with the territory,†he said.

Someone just posted a great comeback for the next time Ford demands a firing. Have that person simply say - You First. Their job will be safe.

Re: The speculation about Fatass having a tiny shred of self-awareness (or something that passes for it) in regards to his suddenly admitting smoking crack to the media. Maybe I'm just an old meanie who's unwilling to give Mayor Circus Clown even that microscopic amount of credit, but I always assumed the motivation there was his passive-agressive way of slapping back at Doug, and possibly Diane as well. I don't doubt that they were (and probably still are) riding his ass mercilessly about upholding the Ford 'brand.' With Thug not present at that moment, I daresay Slob saw it as a perfect opportunity for some "he can't tell me what to do!" style of teenage rebellion. Which is essentially the level of his mentality, when you get right down to it: That of an an arrogant, loutish and spoiled teenaged punk.

I don't know if there is valid suspicion about his role in the death of Anthony Smith or if it's runaway speculation. However, I do know that a man is dead, and that in someway his world intersected with the mayor's underworld, and the mayor has refused for over a year to speak to either the media or the police about any of it. For anyone else in any position that had any kind of effective oversight, this would be more than enough to remove him from the job.

I couldn't agree more. I have no idea what Slob's involvement was there, just that I know I wouldn't put it past him; he's violent, unstable, stupid, mean, and eager to harm anyone he percieves to be fucking with him. But for the sake of argument, let's say he had nothing to do with Smith's murder. Wouldn't it make sense, then, for him to co-operate with the police, and tell them everything he knows, if only so he won't have this particular shadow hanging over him? It's a pretty big deal. If he weren't rich and a politician, there's no way he'd be able to wriggle out of his responsibilities here, yet he chooses to do just that, which looks incredibly damaging to him even if he had nothing to do with what happened to Smith. And it's treated as just another 'tick' on the list of outrageous:rolleyes: things Ford does, no more important than, say, him urinating in public. I can't understand why more people aren't up in arms about this.

I'm just delurking to say a quick hello. I don't live in Toronto. I'm just an observer from another province.

I gotta admit I thought I'd hate it if I ever visited Toronto. But then I got to stay there last summer for five days and had the best tour guide - my stepbrother (who works in the media). And I admit I fell in love with Toronto. If I wasn't so broke now I would have gone back this summer, too!

Long before I visited TO I had been fascinated by Rob Ford and the city's inability to get him ousted from City Hall. After the visit I became nearly obsessed. I had my own encounter with the man just shortly after getting off the plane. We headed straight to a pre-season Argos game at Varsity Stadium. As my stepbrother was finding a place to sit, he told me to stay in one spot while he scouted for seats. He left me and my mom standing just a few feet from Rob who was watching the warm ups. I tried not to gape, but it wasn't long before a security guard was in my face telling me there were no seats available in that section. After the game I saw him surrounded by a bunch of people all giggly and getting photographs. It's the craziest thing to witness when you're not from there. It's like they're drugged or something. Here is this vile human being and people fawning all over him like he's found the cure for cancer. It's so terribly strange. And scary. I no longer have to wonder at how evil dictators come to power.

Anyway, I mourn for what Rob is doing to your wonderful city.

There is one comment I wanted to share. When we were visiting with my stepbrother I asked, "How in the world did Rob Ford get to be Mayor and why won't anyone stand up to him?" His reply came quickly and I've never forgotten it: "Probably because they're all scared." I asked for clarification and he said, "Like scared for their lives."

I was stunned. And it still gives me chills when I think about it. I don't think my stepbrother has or had any special knowledge, but I thought it was interesting that it was generally accepted that the Ford are scary people, capable of violence.

I'll go back to lurking now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back