3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 641     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is more of a sad, pathetic detachment from reality.

I'm not going to argue very hard against that. Especially, would not for a second try to push a no-I'm-pretty-sure-he's-connected-to-reality angle!

But can you think of any high-profile elected official ever who's had so many metaphorical high-speed heavyweight bullets just bounce off his frame? An official with the same twin high levels of stupid and disgusting? Strength is possibly not the right word for whatever it is that keeps Rob in all of our faces, but I don't think we can say he's 100% weak.

Warmington interviewed Ford tonight at his son's soccer game. Absolute drivel. On the Sun's website now. I don't want to link it because Joe doesn't deserve the clicks. Could someone lift the text and post it here?

From the article:

I don’t write columns for approval of other media, Twitter or political operatives. And to Ford’s credit, no matter how much I have badgered him or criticized him, he has never dodged me — even when the news is not good for him.
“I know what I did and I have apologized to the whole city for it,” he said.
There is, however, nothing wrong with those who are outraged by his behaviour not accepting that and heckling him. But there is also nothing wrong with those prepared to cut the guy a break and see if this attempt to straighten out his life is successful. I fall into the latter camp no matter how the press gallery or editorial writers feel about it.

Bullsh*t.

AoD

Daniel Dale's chat today was pretty funny:

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2014/07/02/got_questions_about_the_toronto_race_for_mayor_ask_daniel_dale_at_1_pm.html

Some highlights, and if anyone here wrote them, fess up:

Q: Are you racist against little red apples?

A: No I like them.

Q: media in BC saying that citizens of Toronto are at near revolt of Ford. Is that the case, is he really a viable candidate in October?

A: I see no sign of revolt! Toronto is a pretty polite place. Most of the population is fed up with the mayor and won't vote for him, but I don't think we're going to see him confronted by articulate shirtless people at every turn.

Q: Daniel, that time that you dropped your phone and ran, that wasn't because you were scared was it? I'll bet you just dropped it by accident. Can you clarify? (this guy was a troll)

A: Hahaha. I dropped it because he held his fist up to my face and demanded I drop it. It was an intentional drop, maybe even a throw.

The Shirtless Horde protest is growing steam. This is such a great idea, if I didn't have to work I would be there. I really hope this more vocal and aggressive chastising of Ford continues. I think that it would have backfired in the past, but the anger that most of us here have had for ages seems to be reaching into a greater portion of the non-Frod Nayshun types. It's important that this anger continues building momentum, and I think that regular, ongoing mass public shamings that get right into his face are valuable.

https://www.facebook.com/events/685807331474476/?context=create&source=49

And the organizer is going to be on the Global TV morning show tomorrow promoting it at 7:40am.

John Furr is the organizer. I think Rob Frod is also going to be there.

Daniel Dale's chat today was pretty funny: [...]

A: Hahaha. I dropped [the phone] because [Rob] held his fist up to my face and demanded I drop it. It was an intentional drop, maybe even a throw.

Daniel Dale is great! I wish I had the same level of wit, transparency, combined self-deprecation and self-respect, and urge to get the facts out quickly and clearly.

Below is Wormington's article. There is also a pretty nauseating video of the so called interview. Comments, not surprisingly, is scathing!:)

TORONTO - Mayor Rob Ford said the best part of how he feels right now is he is able to get up and into work early.

He seems to have his sense of humour back.

“I am not hung over anymore in the mornings,” he said with a laugh Thursday night. “I can get to the gym at 7 a.m. and then get into work early.”

This, he admits, was not the case when in the year or so before he finally came to the realization, “I was an alcoholic and had problems.”

He said he was in constant denial and is “embarrassed” about all of it.

“I was lying to myself and to everybody else,” he said. “And I didn’t think there was anything I could do to deal with it. I felt I was alone in the world. I felt there was nothing anybody could do to help me.”

Ford said most of his drinking “was when I was alone” and that he “humiliated” and sometimes “made a fool of myself.”

The drug use, which included crack cocaine, was done while under the influence of excessive alcohol.

It was when I played him the audio of a drunken, perhaps racial, misogynist and homophobic rant in his neighbourhood bar, Sully Gormans, when he finally realized there was no more going on like that and on the spot, he chose rehabilitation.

He ended up in a Muskoka rehab.

And now the mayor said, just three days back from two months away, he is hoping for another chance and that a majority of Torontonians will give it to him.

“I know I lied to them,” he said.

But now he wants to make amends.

“I am laser focused and already this week they have seen down at city hall that the real mayor is back in town,” he said.

Mayor Ford knows, however, if he even has just one drunken episode all his comeback hopes will be dashed.

“It would be over,” he said in an interview Thursday night. “I know that.”

Polls show he is still very much in the race for mayor but for political survival it’s razor thin line he straddles. While there are many who would love to push him over that line, it’s more what he does himself that will decide how this story shakes out.

He is well aware this is his last chance.

“I know I need to prove to people (that there will be no more antics) and gain their trust again,” he said. “I am going to show them over the next four months.”

Talk about pressure.

Not only does the mayor need to battle his self-admitted alcoholism and drug use after 60 days of rehabilitation, but he must do it with an international audience watching every step. “It’s just one day at a time,” he said. “But I feel great.”

He looks good too. Sobriety serves him well.

I caught up with Ford at his six-year-old son Dougie’s soccer game over at Richview Park.

He was really loose and in a great mood, taking dozens of pictures and chatting with parents, coaches, referees and kids.

The mayor was animated on the sidelines as he cheered on his son and jovial with us.

After cancelling earlier scheduled interviews with both myself and Toronto Sun City Hall Bureau Chief Don Peat, Ford changed his mind and agreed to meet up with me at the game Thursday night.

“I am just so happy to be home,” he said. “It is incredible. And there is nothing more important to me than my kids.”

I don’t write columns for approval of other media, Twitter or political operatives. And to Ford’s credit, no matter how much I have badgered him or criticized him, he has never dodged me — even when the news is not good for him.

“You have hammered me for sure,” he said. “But you have also been fair.”

It is true. All sides of Ford’s behaviour have been covered in numerous columns.

I will let you, the voters, decide his fate. I do hope for him beating his demons though.

“I know what I did and I have apologized to the whole city for it,” he said.

There is, however, nothing wrong with those who are outraged by his behaviour not accepting that and heckling him. But there is also nothing wrong with those prepared to cut the guy a break and see if this attempt to straighten out his life is successful. I fall into the latter camp no matter how the press gallery or editorial writers feel about it.

Lots of others, on council or in sports, entertainment and federal and provincial politics, have been given courtesies and considerations.

“You are never going to get 100% support in politics,” Ford said laughing.

But, like with the other interviews this week, the mayor did not answer questions about a police investigation or what went on with the woman who was charged for impaired driving at the wheel of his SUV while he was in GreeneStone. He said he is leaving the past behind and looking to the future.

“With all do respect, Joe, I am not worried about the media,” he said. “People are going to speak on 0ct 27.”

If he stays sober, Mayor Ford will not be the only one up early that day.

Something doesn't jive with the Ford quotes in Warmington's article. Listen to every instance of Rob Ford speaking in public and then compare those short, choppy sentences and fragments thereof to the words attributed to him this time round.

And what bugs me more than that? What kind of parent invites media as an excuse to ignore his child? Good on the other parents for staying out of the camera frame!

Something doesn't jive with the Ford quotes in Warmington's article. Listen to every instance of Rob Ford speaking in public and then compare those short, choppy sentences and fragments thereof to the words attributed to him this time round.

There's video of the interview. Ford's words are much choppier there. It's clear that Warmington consistently cleans up Ford's quotes.

Although i should also say that the guy seems to be really mentally unstable, and someone should be watching out for him to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. I'd actually be more concerned about Mammo being a suicide risk than Ford.

Though I've had this thought that of all the characters in the Ford saga, the likeliest suicide would be LeeAnne McRobb--a small-town floozy who got mired in more than she bargained on...

"Lots of others, on council or in sports, entertainment and federal and provincial politics, have been given courtesies and considerations." Today's Worms column.

Expect to hear more of this from Doug, specifically naming public figures he considers to be addicts. This is exactly the stunt he pulled a few days ago, going so far as to call out a list of names, although I think media at the time did not publish his completed comments, thankfully omitting the names.

Last edited:
Daniel Dale's chat today was pretty funny:

I liked this one:

leftylover
Daniel, do you think that if we were talking about a woman mayor with an addiction and weight problem, that the Star would be as aggressive in their investigative reporting?

Daniel Dale
No. Mayor Ford's gender was definitely the main issue here, and our well-known anti-man prejudice explains why we wrote the stories that won the country's top award for public service journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back