490     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 537     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 670     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
sadly, i'm not confident that the media will effectively handle ford's return on friday. i think too many will lap up the 'redemption' narrative and let him skate, as ever. do we think anyone's going to take him to task and prove me wrong? if i had 10 minutes, i think i'd spend 60 seconds, max, talking about rehab. "great, you're back. glad things went well." then i'd shift immediately to 'work' and not let him deviate from that. banging away on the 'what i do in my personal time' thing is a losing game, especially now when he'll be doubling down on sympathy and indignation.

i think the smart play now would be to press hard on misuse of office. press hard on bent business deals with deco, and maybe even on the shady people visiting the mayor's office late at night. i think that's the much more fruitful line, but i worry that reporters (and council members) are going to spend far too much time making this all about his waistline and his suntan, which is exactly what rob and doug want.

Monday is the 30th of June... long weekend Monday to be exact, I wonder who will be around Robbie when he gives his statement of resignation. :eek:

Last edited:
If cops are only focused on Sandros extortion phone calls it's hard to imagine any solid new evidence emerging so long after the fact.

When you say "plugging away," do you mean they are working away at it, or that they've kept the file open so that they can add new evidence if this arrives?

Heard an interesting story. Last summer Donovan had the first Sandro/crack video story ready to go for weeks. But he needed official confirmation of probe and cops refused to confirm Sandro was under investigation after several attempts. Finally Donovan calls Sandros lawyer and pretends to know cops were investigating him for extortion. Right away lawyer is like of course he's being investigated. With that they could finally run story. Otherwise might have waited for his arrest.

Last edited:
Monday is the 30th of June... long weekend Monday to be exact, I wonder who will be around Robbie when he gives his statement of resignation. :eek:

I'm not sure we'll see his resignation Monday at 3:00, when he makes his statement. Wouldn't it be great if he did, "I'm out, Muskoka was a blast, and if you need me I'll be up there..." Either way #RFMG will be out in force that day at CH, if you're taking the four day weekend and not away, come by CH to respectfully* (un)welcome him back.

*coming to cause shit is not what #RFMG is about and will not be tolerated.

Daniel Dale‏@ddale8

Jim Coyle's writing on Rob Ford and alcoholism has been terrific. What to watch for when Ford returns from rehab: http://on.thestar.com/1m7NmLd

Joe Warmington ‏@joe_warmington 3h

@ddale8. Did Jim Coyle offer insight and advice to John Duncanson?

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 3h

@joe_warmington That's an ugly, ugly thing to say, Joe.

(Duncanson was a Star reporter who died in 2009 of alcoholism)

Daniel Dale‏@ddale8

Jim Coyle's writing on Rob Ford and alcoholism has been terrific. What to watch for when Ford returns from rehab: http://on.thestar.com/1m7NmLd

@ddale8. Did Jim Coyle offer insight and advice to John Duncanson?

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 3h

@joe_warmington That's an ugly, ugly thing to say, Joe.

(Duncanson was a Star reporter who died in 2009 of alcoholism)

I am having difficulty picking my chin up off of the floor. What a revolting thing to say.

I am having difficulty picking my chin up off of the floor. What a revolting thing to say.

Yup. Needless to say he is getting hammered on twitter, but he probably loves it.

More:

@ddale8. Ugly column on a guy's personal issues?

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 3h

@joe_warmington Have you actually read the piece? As usual with Jim's stuff, it's really sensitive and good-hearted.

Dale seems to have bailed out of the conversation. A few Fordites are defending WormTongue.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we'll see his resignation Monday at 3:00, when he makes his statement. Wouldn't it be great if he did, "I'm out, Muskoka was a blast, and if you need me I'll be up there..." Either way #RFMG will be out in force that day at CH, if you're taking the four day weekend and not away, come by CH to respectfully* (un)welcome him back.

And a limited number of #RFMG t-shirts will be available for purchase!

Tempting, very tempting, I shall consider it, it should be an interesting event with a lot of money changing hands.

Yup. Needless to say he is getting hammered on twitter, but he probably loves it.

More:

@ddale8. Ugly column on a guy's personal issues?

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 3h

@joe_warmington Have you actually read the piece? As usual with Jim's stuff, it's really sensitive and good-hearted.

Dale seems to have bailed out of the conversation. A few Fordites are defending WormTongue.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/columnists/2009/09/28/its_a_small_but_sweet_victory.html

From the tinfoilhatdept:

Toronto Police Supt. Jane Wilcox ruled that McCormack -- a former executive member of the Toronto Police Association and middle son of retired chief Bill McCormack -- had no official reason to seek information about ex-Toronto Star reporter John Duncanson.

However, in May, Jim Cassells, an officer who worked on the 25-member task force set up by Fantino, went to the media with accusations that police supervisors never followed up on a long list of additional cases the task force unearthed.

Another member of the task force, Neal Ward, came forward in support of Cassells's statements. Police Chief Bill Blair responded to his statements by agreeing to meet with Cassells to discuss the unresolved cases.

Sources have told the CBC that the list of 14 cases includes that officers in one team were suspected of running a drug ring, another downtown drug team allegedly stole $2.5 million from suspects' safety deposit boxes and a supervisor of drug investigations was not removed from his job after allegedly admitting to a decade-long cocaine addiction.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message911876/pg4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back