127     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 174     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 378     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question: What job did Renata have before she was married?

She could go and work at Toronto Zoo in the hippo enclosure. You know, to make sure the hippos have plenty to eat at home. She has experience.

I've re-watched the video that came out this morning.

First of all, I can't help but laugh every time I see his choreographed 'ka-pow!' move and the way the camera-person jerks the camera up to keep Ford in the frame. If nothing else, you gotta say the man has moves! This 5 seconds of video has me in stitches every time I re-watch it.

I also suspect that he's watching something on a TV that's out of the frame, because right after that he gestures to someone and says something like 'bro - you missed it!', while pointing at what I believe to be the TV.

If this was a stranger we were viewing, I'd say that the rest of the video is so very, very dark and sad. (However, because we know this man and the damage he's done to divide the city, it's instead really infuriating to watch).

Also… from Jennifer Pagliaro - the song playing in the background of the video is 'Don't Let me be Lonely Tonight':

What gets me is the sordid and pathetic figure he appears there - a drunken crackhead in a really divey bar, one with few customers, with no friends around him, trying to engage with those who are there without much luck. He reminds me of the extras in the film Barfly, anonymous addicts whose only companions are other addicts, but who couldn't give a shit about him. He craves friendship and companionship (hence his getting excited when people want to take selfies with him, taking strangers to Muzak with him) but has neither; he accosts strangers in dive bars in order to try to get them to pay attention to him. He acts up ("look at how I'd fight!") to get that attention. His surroundings alone, the divey bars he's been attending in many of these videos, are pathetic. He's one step above the homeless guy in an alleyway somewhere muttering to himself.

...or public appearance. "Fighting" for his kids strikes me as the kind of tactic that the Fords would think makes them look good.

As someone who grew up in small town ontario, this is totally the mindset I'd often see. You've gotta fight for your kids, no matter what (but completely ignore any semblance of rational parenting in the meantime)!

I've learned to expect that if something would fly in my hometown, the Ford's are for it, 100%, zing!

I can't even imagine the amount of dirt those two have on each other. Divorce proceedings are going to be pretty ugly.

What gets me is the sordid and pathetic figure he appears there - a drunken crackhead in a really divey bar, one with few customers, with no friends around him, trying to engage with those who are there without much luck. He reminds me of the extras in the film Barfly, anonymous addicts whose only companions are other addicts, but who couldn't give a shit about him. He craves friendship and companionship (hence his getting excited when people want to take selfies with him, taking strangers to Muzak with him) but has neither; he accosts strangers in dive bars in order to try to get them to pay attention to him. He acts up ("look at how I'd fight!") to get that attention. His surroundings alone, the divey bars he's been attending in many of these videos, are pathetic. He's one step above the homeless guy in an alleyway somewhere muttering to himself.

Ya, last I spoke with Sandro he said Ford's lost all his friends because no one wants to be seen out in public with him and then end up in the papers. Plus, some don't like the way he acts when he's drunk.

If the initial theory is correct, I don't think this is really about finances. It's about the kids. In his current state, Rob would be face a huge uphill battle for unsupervised access, let alone any kind of custody.

In addition, the optics with the upcoming election are rather important. If Rob couldn't get any kind of shared custody of his kids, imagine how that would play out with voters (and even FordNation).

"How are we supposed to trust you with running the city's finances when you can't even be trusted with your own kids?"

Ya, last I spoke with Sandro he said Ford's lost all his friends because no one wants to be seen out in public with him and then end up in the papers. Plus, some don't like the way he acts when he's drunk.

As I was coming back home on the subway a couple of nights ago, a drunk (and possibly fucked up on downers) guy, who appeared to be homeless or near to it, several cuts (some new, some old) on his face and hands was on there. He'd wander the train a bit, sit down next to someone or stand in front of them and ask them something in unintelligible speech, then get up and go to another seat, or he'd lie down in front of the doors, and in at least one case across the passageway blocking people.

That's what Ford's going to end up like. He's already going for more and more of the dive bars with a few hardened drinkers in them rather than the fancy bars, but still trying to attract the attention of the others there and trying to make friends with them in his own ham-fisted way, he's barely a step away from that end.

As I was coming back home on the subway a couple of nights ago, a drunk (and possibly fucked up on downers) guy, who appeared to be homeless or near to it, several cuts (some new, some old) on his face and hands was on there. He'd wander the train a bit, sit down next to someone or stand in front of them and ask them something in unintelligible speech, then get up and go to another seat, or he'd lie down in front of the doors, and in at least one case across the passageway blocking people.

That's what Ford's going to end up like. He's already going for more and more of the dive bars with a few hardened drinkers in them rather than the fancy bars, but still trying to attract the attention of the others there and trying to make friends with them in his own ham-fisted way, he's barely a step away from that end.

Ya, the dive bars are a nice added touch! Poor Robbie, no football, no friends, divorce, few allies.

He's one step above the homeless guy in an alleyway somewhere muttering to himself.

I'm being very serious when I say that the above is insulting to the average muttering homeless guy (who has almost assuredly done less offense and damage to Toronto and its inhabitants than RoFo).

On a less serious note, but tangential to the reference to homeless guys, "Hobo with Shotgun" was on TV last night and watching it made me think of the name of this thread.

I keep thinking about the last Rob Ford Taiwanese Animation video

Jimmy I'm curious: you've previously said that Sandro's not really on speaking terms with you, to some extent based on what you have written in this thread. Has the animosity diminished, or does he say these things in spite of his animosity? I'm kind of picturing him cursing you and then muttering to himself, "Well, 'Dro, at least you didn't tell Jimmy about XXX. Doh!"

She could go and work at Toronto Zoo in the hippo enclosure. You know, to make sure the hippos have plenty to eat at home. She has experience.

Again, does anyone know what Renata did for a living prior to marriage? This is purely for curiosity's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back