1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 493     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't happen for refusing to speak to police, even when under arrest.

If supoenaed as a witness at Lisi's preliminary, he would have three options: (1) testify; (2) testify and invoke the protection of the Canada Evidence Act against his testimony being used against him in another case (a bit like the US 'Fifth Amendment" but far from exactly the same, as it only gives protection against future use of the testimony, not a right to decline to testify); or (3) refuse to testify. The last option could lead to a conviction for contempt.

Options 1) and 2) are the same. There is nothing to "invoke" in Canada. Compelled testimony is simply inadmissible against you, except if you are prosecuted for perjury.

If Det. Giroux/ TPS is using Brazen 2 as a heatsink to deflect from a another spinoff investigation that includes trafficking and organized crime and actually comes up with charges, I will personally lead the petition to have Union Station (sorry DMW), my second born child, a sports arena of his choice and the next new species of dinosaur or sea creature named after him.

During the course of the investigation the police heard Lisi talk about dirty cops loyal to Ford. *If anything is worthy of further investigation, that would be it. *If they didn't look into that, then it would be truly concerning. *

It could suggest a few unsettling things:
They were trying to sweep it under the rug to avoid embarrassment or due to some misplaced loyalty

It was an issue too widespread that investigators were incapable of tackling

Or the corruption went high enough in rank and the dirty cops were being protected.

Interesting - those who support an individual who flaunts the rule of law expects to be counted in a system that requires respect for the latter.

AoD

yep.

similar to freedom of speech.

i abhor what your saying but i respect and will fight for your right to say it.

OK. Cole's notes on the last FIFTY pages?
Skimming makes it sound like Robbie has done nothing wrong, and will be your Mayor again.

Marcs Gee's column in the Globe today is pretty good.

The last paragraph sums it up perfectly. Unfortunately, not everyone reads to the last paragraph.

But even if he never faces charges, it hardly means that, as he says, he “did nothing wrong.” Smoking crack while mayor was wrong. Lying about it was wrong. Associating with a criminal element was wrong. Let’s hope voters don’t forget that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back