676     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 601     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 740     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, not a real person? (What's a Max Headroom?)

MT: Max Headroom was a computer-generated TV show host from the mid 1980s and literally was the first of his kind...
See: www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_(character) or Google "Max Headroom" for more info...
I always got a kick out of his computer-generated stutter...

R937: We both have the same thought here literally...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
As much as I'd like to see Dale beat Ford in court, it's actually a lose/lose.

What could be better for Ford at this point than being sued by a Toronto Star reporter? I hate to say it but that's the reality we're in. Yeah, a court would probably have police officers sitting there saying there were no pictures on the cell phone etc. but that won't be for months and months, assuming they don't settle. In the meantime, Ford gets to campaign with actual proof of how the media is out to get him. A reporter suing a politician is dicey enough but everything else about this plays into Ford's grand mythos of persecution, no matter how crazy that might sound.

The best part of the Conrad Black interview is where she asks him, since he's been sued for libel, if it isn't important for the interviewer to be responsible to for someone saying something libelous to them and he just goes silent for nearly 10 seconds trying to find the right way to squirm out of it. Fine, I'll grant him he's not a "real journalist" but that isn't a free pass to just ask him anything and let any response sail by uncontested because it's "his opinion."

I'm not a huge fan of Black but he's no idiot. He knows better than that. What if (to invoke Godwin's Law!) Ford said, "You know, I think Adolf Hitler had some really good ideas." ? Black would just go on to the next questions because that's Ford's opinion and it's not his job to debate him?

Before Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister, Britain had free proper dental care and hygiene through the NHS. She is the cause of the "British smile," since she cut dental care funding for the NHS. She paid for her dental care through her own pockets, leaving the average Briton with yellowed crooked teeth.

JA: Interesting thought - so Thatcher DID cut some dental health benefits from British citizens during her reign as PM...
Thankfully those health care benefit cuts went no further...

LI MIKE

There are any number if reason Dale would have decided not to sue. The idea that he won't do so because Ford "has something" doesn't pass a sniff test. The fact that it could undermine his position as an objective journalist does.

As for the op ed, do you really think the Star laywers would have okayed it if they felt it undermined his case? Nowhere does Kinsella point out how the op ed would affect a civil case if brought forward.

Dumbasses pissing me off tonight.

The best part of the Conrad Black interview is where she asks him, since he's been sued for libel, if it isn't important for the interviewer to be responsible to for someone saying something libelous to them and he just goes silent for nearly 10 seconds trying to find the right way to squirm out of it. Fine, I'll grant him he's not a "real journalist" but that isn't a free pass to just ask him anything and let any response sail by uncontested because it's "his opinion."

Yes, that was great.

As soon as Black decided that Ford had lied to him (it really seemed to me like Black was contemplating that for the first time as Off explained it to him) the gears started spinning in his head, and he realized that his least bad look was to portray himself as a lazy, ignorant hack, with no real interest in the quality of the product he was getting paid to help make. Didn't do any research in advance of the interview, didn't get involved in editorial decisions after the footage was delivered to his bosses.

For a guy who wants to be seen as smarter, shrewder, and better informed than anybody else, that has to hurt. The pain couldn't be more deserved.

Before I never knew with whom I shared a birthday but Teri Garr. Now I can add Rob Ford's wife. Reading of journalists at Momma Ford's for the Christmas party it's all beginning to seem like Stockholm Syndrome. He really should be being ostracized. Maybe if I think people should be ignoring him then I should start with myself. It's so hard to tear away attention from this without any closure, but I'm beginning to believe that closure won't be coming, and watching him continue to jerk everyone around, grabbing all the attention despite all the horrid things he does, is becoming endless useless aggravation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back