417     7 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 340     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 436     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we collectively agree not to entertain One Nut and other obvious shit starters with a response?

I get excited to see 3 new pages on this thread only to find out they are filled with ignorance and trolling.

ddale8 10:33am via Twitter for iPhone
Ford is talking about city procedures for clearing snow off the ground. He shook hands with and shared a bit of banter with Minnan-Wong.

Seems that Minnan-Wong drew the short straw this morning and was on baby-sitting patrol. Ford got behind the wheel of a big truck, ignored reporters and shared a few comments about the city being ready for snow. Sad that this hastily called presser seemed designed merely as a shiny distraction to keep Ford away from the more sombre news of the day.

OK, so this stuff is "proof."

But this stuff is not "proof." Gotcha.

And by the way, I *LOVE* how you are framing your whole argument as if Ford had zero agency in all this. Poor guy just fell into the clutches of the evil Somalis. Rotten luck, eh?

Also conveniently omits the Mayor's buddy facing charges for extortion.

I think the majority of society would feel much greater comfort and happiness around gay people if there wasn't such a vocal, vulgar minority. I would gladly like to speak with someone like Kevin Spacey or Rock Hudson (if he were still alive).

What are you even talking about? You may not have heard the words directly out of his mouth before, but he has said he's straight. Try Wikipedia.

Also, are we close to admitting we were wrong about Price?
While we were questioning his role, he was crafting tweets and facebook updates.

Still seems suspicious to me

We've been over this before. You don't build a good community by allowing people to be dicks and encouraging everyone else to put them on their ignore list. You build a good community by discouraging shitty behaviour and getting mods involved as necessary, and people hopefully learn from that and become better contributors.
The internet doesn't work that way. When the trolls come out, don't engage them. Trying to correct them like they are bratty children is exactly what they want and it completely throws the thread off the rails.

Just ignore their posts. If they post something stupid and contrary just let it slide and before you know it there is a new page and what One Ball Saul ;) said is forgotten.

Being overly nannyish with censoring and bannings just shuts down real conversation and creates the echo chamber that kills traffic on most message boards.

There was about three straight pages of people biting the hook on Peepers' troll yesterday. That feeds the troll and stopped the thread dead. Just ignore stupid comments from posters you know to be doing it simply to provoke.

And folks: the 'Ignore' feature on this forum is a wonderful thing. Adding trolls and nudniks like One-Ball Saul to your Ignore list makes reading the forum a much more enjoyable experience. And not replying to them at all makes it more pleasant for everyone else. Give it a try.

Reasonable people can disagree about whether "Ignore" is good.

But you're dead right about "not replying to them at all." I should have written my replies last night, then vaporized them instead of posting them. I stand behind the opinions I expressed, but they're not very relevant to the thread and they obviously invited One-B to further pollute the discussion.

Also, are we close to admitting we were wrong about Price?
While we were questioning his role, he was crafting tweets and facebook updates.

Still seems suspicious to me
Price is Doug's watchdog and fixer. He's there to remind Robbie who's really in charge and to alert Dougie when things are getting out of hand.

MetroMan: any more word on the preparations for a possibly-imminent Blair press conference??

Yep - was there any indication of a date on this, or just a TPS source saying it looked like some prep work was being done?

And folks: the 'Ignore' feature on this forum is a wonderful thing. Adding trolls and nudniks like One-Ball Saul to your Ignore list makes reading the forum a much more enjoyable experience. And not replying to them at all makes it more pleasant for everyone else. Give it a try.

Thank you for pointing out the Ignore function. One-Cell Brain added to my Ignore list, and I'm looking forward to a more on-topic experience.

Last edited:
The internet doesn't work that way. When the trolls come out, don't engage them. Trying to correct them like they are bratty children is exactly what they want and it completely throws the thread off the rails.

Just ignore their posts. If they post something stupid and contrary just let it slide and before you know it there is a new page and what One Ball Saul ;) said is forgotten.

Being overly nannyish with censoring and bannings just shuts down real conversation and creates the echo chamber that kills traffic on most message boards.

There was about three straight pages of people biting the hook on Peepers' troll yesterday. That feeds the troll and stopped the thread dead. Just ignore stupid comments from posters you know to be doing it simply to provoke.

Honestly, you don't need to tell me how to act around trolls. I abandoned this thread long ago after it devolved into meaningless banter/gossip, and we've had MUCH worse characters before, some of whom may have been legitimate trolls. However, a few of those characters who weren't came around with enough pressure from the community and ended up learning how to behave.

A troll is a troll, to be sure. I'm talking about people who have a reasonable chance of being a contributing member of the site. Despite Peepers' ignorance, I still wouldn't label him as a troll - he's not coming here to stir up shit on purpose and get people fighting, and neither is One Nut Kruk. They may have different opinions or positions which people disagree with, and they may demonstrate extreme or willful ignorance of facts - but that still isn't trolling. the best example of a troll in this thread is Forgotten, but it's such good trolling that it has been elevated to the level of art and/or meta-trolling, so nobody engages. We just admire.

Honestly, you don't need to tell me how to act around trolls. I abandoned this thread long ago after it devolved into meaningless banter/gossip, and we've had MUCH worse characters before, some of whom may have been legitimate trolls. However, a few of those characters who weren't came around with enough pressure from the community and ended up learning how to behave.

A troll is a troll, to be sure. I'm talking about people who have a reasonable chance of being a contributing member of the site. Despite Peepers' ignorance, I still wouldn't label him as a troll - he's not coming here to stir up shit on purpose and get people fighting, and neither is One Nut Kruk. They may have different opinions or positions which people disagree with, and they may demonstrate extreme or willful ignorance of facts - but that still isn't trolling. the best example of a troll in this thread is Forgotten, but it's such good trolling that it has been elevated to the level of art and/or meta-trolling, so nobody engages. We just admire.
Let's just say you and I disagree about whether or not they're trolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back