426     7 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 340     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 436     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, who thinks that Doug will make an ill-advised comparison at some point tomorrow between Mandela and Doug's saintly brother, Rob. We've had Rob/Jesus, Rob/Diana, Rob/JFK, Rob/Obama and so why not Rob/Mandela. Bad taste? Sure, but we're talking the Ford brothers here...

When it comes to the Fords, imagine if it were the Billy Carters and Roger Clintons in charge.

By way of wire-taps police were aware in late March that:

a) the mayors phone had been stolen
b) the identity of the person who stole the phone
c) the person in possession of the phone made the statement that they could use the crack video against the mayor
d) instructions were exchanged between drug dealers to counter the mayors offer of $5,000 cash and a car with a demand for "150" (which police interpreted as $150,000).

What you have in the above bullet-points (all admissible in a court of law) is a clear cut case of extortion. Why didn't police move-in in March and make an arrest of the extortionists? Instead they spent the next six month's watching and listening as the mayor fell deeper into the grips of the Somali Pirates?

OK, so this stuff is "proof."

Wire taps of Somali drug lords talking about selling Ford drugs and even the crack video itself have zero evidentiary value. They would never hold up in a court of law.

But this stuff is not "proof." Gotcha.

And by the way, I *LOVE* how you are framing your whole argument as if Ford had zero agency in all this. Poor guy just fell into the clutches of the evil Somalis. Rotten luck, eh?

Last edited:
Anyway, who thinks that Doug will make an ill-advised comparison at some point tomorrow between Mandela and Doug's saintly brother, Rob. We've had Rob/Jesus, Rob/Diana, Rob/JFK, Rob/Obama and so why not Rob/Mandela. Bad taste? Sure, but we're talking the Ford brothers here...

Nobody has done more for black youth than Rob Ford. He's spent thousands of hours and thousands of his own dollars on helping them stay away from gangs and drugs. He's Toronto Mandela.

Perhaps the best opportunity that the Police had to bust Ford was on the evening of 4/20 when police overheard on wiretaps a call being made from the crack den at 15 Windsor to drug dealers in the Dixon Rd complex.

A female caller said the mayor was in the home and he ordered some drugs. Keep in mind that police are listening to these wiretaps LIVE in real time - not as recording's the next day.

Based on these conversations police could have obtained an emergency warrant and raided the home within minutes. If anyone but the mayor was involved police would not have hesitated to storm the house. Someone very high up the chain of command must have given an order to stand down. Who was that person (Blair?) and why did they give the order?

If no charges end up coming, this will be a major source of embarassment for TPS. The TPS excuse will be that they didn't want to compromise Traveller.

But when you have the Mayor in a crackhouse, with gang members, smoking crack, I don't know how they don't act.

If no charges end up coming, this will be a major source of embarassment for TPS. The TPS excuse will be that they didn't want to compromise Traveller.

But when you have the Mayor in a crackhouse, with gang members, smoking crack, I don't know how they don't act.

I'd like to think they were after a bigger prize. Simple possession doesn't quite cut it, given the resources expended.

Good news from Twitter:

Darren Moore ‏@DarrenMooreD22 1h
I find it astonishing that @TorontoPolice is the same force that arrested over 1000 people at G20 but can't arrest 1 mayor for crack use.

Toronto Police ‏@TorontoPolice 1h
@DarrenMooreD22 charges are laid where evidence exists. If evidence doesn't exist police cannot lay charges. Investigation is ongoing ^sm
Retweeted by Edward Keenan

https://twitter.com/thekeenanwire
There is Project Traveller and Project Brazen 2.

The recently released free of redaction Lisi ITO's should be topic of conversation.

This thread has meandered into attacking trolls and other off-topics. Ugh....

Last edited:
http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/12/06/rob-ford-tale-of-the-wiretap/

Is it logical to see this as a phase 1 negotiation from Ford?:

They then discussed plans to sell the tape. SIAD said “Remember that day he said that in front of me?†ABDI replied “Ya, he said I’ll give you five thousand and a car. What the f–k is that?†(Believed to be referring to an offer made by Mayor FORD). SIAD said that he was going to meet him and ask for “150″ (believed to be $150,000). ABDI said the video could be sold to both the Star and the other website. SIAD said he preferred going to Ford personally.

Negotiations obviously break down and a Phase 2 is initiated calling in the bigger boys with their suitcases and nicer cars?:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...eo-hunt-drew-threats-offers-of-cash-1.2420035

Throw in a "I'm going to kill that fucker" venting video in between the phases just for fun. To me, it just looks like he was told to "stay here", being baby-sat while the big brothers and other "family" went out to try and fix a few things for him.

Doesn't the ITO reveal the number to have belonged to a Dixon-area Somali woman who is the relative of one of the guys charged in Project Traveller who refused to talk to police when they sought to interview him?

And doesn't the ITO also say that Price told police that a lot of locals would have had his business card because he had been giving it out over the previous few weeks in the Dixon area?

To me, that says that Price was principally hired to work with Lisi to canvas the Dixon area to find the video, and in the course of canvassing (or having Lising canvas), the anonymous tipper got Price's number. Does that scan?

It could be. The thing that doesn't fit for me is Price's reaction to the tip the video was motive for Smith's murder. If he were so intimately involved in the retrieval of the video with Lisi, wouldn't he have gone straight to Ford, not Towhey and then the police?

and it stemmed from a terrible relationship he had with his mother.

I will say just this.

I suppose if you subscribe to a strictly Freudian view on human sexuality and psychology development, your focus on the influence that a person's relationship, good OR bad, with either or both parents may have on their sexuality and sense of self is valid to some extent. But it is not by any means the go-to explanation for their sexuality itself or their own attitude to it or how they present that to the outside world. Not any more than a relationship with a parent necessarily explains ANYTHING about any aspect of a straight person's personality, behaviour.

There are also a lot of straight people who could be considered 'openly sexual', 'vocal', 'vulgar' about their sexuality, who 'glorify stereotypes', and yet no one cites them as a reason why they don't feel more 'comfort and happiness' with the idea of heteros in general or being around them.

The position that someone ostensibly 'has no problem' with an aspect - just one! - of someone else's being, except for the fact that that aspect exists and is sometimes overtly asserted, really sounds a lot like wanting not to be reminded that people exist who are different from oneself:

I have no problem with people who are left-handed, I just wish they didn't wave their left-handedness in my face so much.

I've got nothing against people with green eyes, but why do they have to go to the same places I do and act so green-eyed all the time?

It could be. The thing that doesn't fit for me is Price's reaction to the tip the video was motive for Smith's murder. If he were so intimately involved in the retrieval of the video with Lisi, wouldn't he have gone straight to Ford, not Towhey and then the police?

The reason it doesn't fit is because you're analyzing it after the fact, with a limited amount of information, and under the assumption that everyone reacts to things in a logical, consistent and predictable way.

MetroMan: any more word on the preparations for a possibly-imminent Blair press conference??

And folks: the 'Ignore' feature on this forum is a wonderful thing. Adding trolls and nudniks like One-Ball Saul to your Ignore list makes reading the forum a much more enjoyable experience. And not replying to them at all makes it more pleasant for everyone else. Give it a try.

I would gladly like to speak with someone like Kevin Spacey or Rock Hudson (if he were still alive) … Sexuality is a deeply private matter, and I don't want to share mine with others…

I have to reply to this, because it's the second time you've mentioned it like it was a fact.

Kevin Spacey has to my knowledge (and masterful skills at google-fu), never come out and said he was gay.

It's funny you assume so, given that you say you don't want to share your sexual inclination with others.

The sheer assumption that Spacey is gay has been derived from his unwillingness to explain why he hasn't been spotted with a girlfriend. He could be celibate. He could be asexual (more common than many might realize). As he's a *really* private guy to begin with, he could just be really good at hiding his relationships. Unfortunately, the tabloids use his lack of desire to speak of his sexuality as being "gay". And obviously, you've not bothered to even check if someone you're espousing as gay actually is.

You seem to take people and things on surface perceptions, rather than dig down and find the truth. Perhaps you need to take a look at what you hear or see and do some deeper reflection. Some critical thinking would be nice.

And folks: the 'Ignore' feature on this forum is a wonderful thing. Adding trolls and nudniks like One-Ball Saul to your Ignore list makes reading the forum a much more enjoyable experience. And not replying to them at all makes it more pleasant for everyone else. Give it a try.

We've been over this before. You don't build a good community by allowing people to be dicks and encouraging everyone else to put them on their ignore list. You build a good community by discouraging shitty behaviour and getting mods involved as necessary, and people hopefully learn from that and become better contributors.

That being said, it has ALWAYS peeved me that there is no "probation" feature here like there are on other forums. where shitty behaviour means you can't post for a while. The mods here choose to delete and/or edit posts, and as far as I'm concerned that does NOTHING to discourage bad behaviour - it pretends it doesn't exist, so there's no incentive not to do it. The comment from earlier in the thread where someone speculated what One Nut Kruk would have thought of Mandela, for example (and my reply to it, along with another reply), were deleted as if they were never posted. Where, in reality, the guy who made the comment should be put on probation (not allowed to post for X hours), and the comment should be flagged as such ("User X was put on probation for X hours for this post") - for others to see and learn from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back