298     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 470     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 653     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we're on the subject of campaigns, some people are looking closely at Rob's financial support in 2010.

Truman ‏@SnidelyBacklash 1h
@robyndoolittle Seems many children and dead people gave $2500 to Ford Campaign.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av4Zff70kfWQdHZmN2t3Y0F6OUJmNDJCbDEyVUR5aEE&usp=sharing … … #TOpoli

https://twitter.com/MrIanMacIntyre/status/403670793793863681

Must... have... brains...

Zombies want Rob Ford, for the brains?

And I wonder how many plants the other two guys registered to the Supertest location can produce. Must be a fair sized operation!

I'd love to see a marijuana-leaf version of this logo

supertest-logo.jpg

Tomorrow in the STAR!!

Michael Cooke ‏@TorStarEditor 3m
A “domestic assault†call to Ford’s house disrupted a police sting on #RobFord friend Lisi. Toronto Star tomorrow.

I don't know if this means anything but look how many of the big donors have Italian names. I wonder why the Italian community are such big supporters of Rob Ford? Does Toronto just have a huge amount of rich Italians who love buffoons?

I don't know if this means anything but look how many of the big donors have Italian names. I wonder why the Italian community are such big supporters of Rob Ford? Does Toronto just have a huge amount of rich Italians who love buffoons?

Actually I find it interesting how restrained this highly speculative and sometimes offensive forum has been about the fact that many if not most of Ford's associates have Italian last names.

It is not surprising that developers and owners of construction companies gave money to conservative candidates (they may have contributed to more than one conservative candidate). They are hoping for work and lower taxes. What, you think they care about the arts or libraries or the environment??

As for the road work companies, I think they are the ones who really run the city. Their influence remains constant regardless of who is mayor. The same streets have to be fixed every 2 years and the potholes always reappear in the same spots. The street gets ripped up for 7 months and most of the time you drive by the lane reductions and no one is even working.

It is not surprising that developers and owners of construction companies gave money to conservative candidates (they may have contributed to more than one conservative candidate). They are hoping for work and lower taxes. What, you think they care about the arts or libraries or the environment??

As for the road work companies, I think they are the ones who really run the city. Their influence remains constant regardless of who is mayor. The same streets have to be fixed every 2 years and the potholes always reappear in the same spots. The street gets ripped up for 7 months and most of the time you drive by the lane reductions and no one is even working.

There's a very open bidding process for this work, most companies operate on pretty thin margins or sometimes zero margins during the construction season. Some contractors will even take work at a small loss, hoping to make it to next year or to find some extras/holes in the contract. They don't run this city. Developers, yes, road/utilities companies, no. Im guessing the road/utilities companies may have ponied up for Ford hoping for more infrastructure work in general, which Toronto does severely need.
Also potholes often reappear because the city does just quick overlays or grind and paves, not addressing the structural problems underneath the road and is done to "save" money.

Personally the construction process is a little more complicated then people think. It always grinds my gears when people complain the site is empty, there are many good legitimate reasons for that too happen. Depending on the contract, the company maybe be working on small separate stretches over a larger area, rotating their crews around, unable to secure a officer for traffic control, problem with another utility that has to be fixed first and on the private companies schedule (rogers, enbridge, etc) or as simple as the engineer of the project giving the project a long completion time so the company is able to put off some work for a few days and work somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back