2.6K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 661     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some slogan ideas. These may be cheesy but feel free to improvise.....

"Put Toronto first."

"Whatever you do, it's about Toronto."

"There's a bit of Toronto in all of us."

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 4.00.36 PM.jpg

hahaha. I love people who are good at photoshop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 4.00.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 4.00.36 PM.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 439
I'm going to really mildly (and respectfully) argue this point -- and I don't disagree with anything else you've said, I'm just bored at work. And it's really a tiny argument. I wholly, fully and completely believe that alcohol/drugs/gambling/sex/etc is not the root cause. Substance abuse is the primary symptom, not the cause. The root cause can be many things: emotional immaturity, lack of emotional development, lack of healthy development, maladaptive behaviours due to abuse, lack of meaning, etc, etc, etc... those come first. Substance abuse comes second. Which is where the phenomenon of "dry drunks" comes from. People who get off the substance but have made no other substantial changes to the underlying issue. Successful recovery, treats the person & their behaviours, regardless of the abuse.

I'm being pedantic about it, I know. I'm just waiting for the day to end... ;)

AH yes, you are totally right. My phrasing was not correct. Maybe I should have said alcohol was a "source" of problems as opposed to, say (in his words), the left wing conspiracy or whatever. I agree with you 100% that the "root" cause is much, much deeper. People often talk about how his sense of entitlement or lack of shame. I actually think it's the opposite: I believe he's been bullied and made fun of all his life and has no idea what's normal, and hates himself, and has false pride. I believe shame is worse than death to him, and that's why he lies.

I know they grew up rich but that's only one element of their story. The whole set of kids involved with people who do/sell drugs, extort, kidnap, kill, sister shot etc ---money did not make up for whatever was deficient or wrong in that house.

I get waiting for the day to end! But you are also totally right.

Last edited:
My two cents: something that plays on the mistrust many of us now feel towards the mayor, the dissatisfaction with his vague, evasive answers. That gets Ford where it hurts: his whole brand is predicated on him being a "straight-shooter." And yet we know he is anything but.

I also think the word 'taxpayers' should worked in there somehow. Yes, I know 'citizens' is a better descriptor for many reasons (eg. some of the poor do not directly pay a lot of taxes, etc), but I like the idea of throwing his phony baloney rhetoric back at him; it undercuts his B.S.

So how about: "Be honest with Toronto taxpayers"? Or, "Give us the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth!" "Time to come clean with us, Mr. Mayor!" Just spitballin' here...

Taypayer's Drink with Ford Day

everyone shows up with a mickey of their favourite libation and kinda have a drink at work with our Mayor.

"Torontonians are his greatest enablers, either by remaining silent as a majority or being vocal as a minority of supporters. And who can argue with the public?" : from The Star this morning. A little more outrage please.
When have we ever seen Torontonians outraged about anything? The G 20 showed us our rights can be abused and taken away at any time and did this city erupt in mass protests? Nope. We are much to complacent to care about anything unless it effects us directly. The only large protests you see in this city, are union organized protests. It's pretty pathetic actually but politicians know how passive we are and it allows them to do as they please.

Last edited:
I took it as he knows that more is forthcoming, and I am sure there is, but why be such wimps and let him off with just saying he'll get a driver? It's just so weak, especially if they know more. Sure, he might hang himself with his own rope but in the meantime, he is an embarrassment and a liability. It's gone way beyond the eye-rolling stage at his antics.

I don't really care whose rope he uses at this point.

One thing that might help:
I've been trying to coax the reporters and columnists I follow on twitter to interview and publish the opinions of addiction experts. It might be good for the rally to have a person who can speak on these issues, how Ford's behaviour fits what they've seen before, and how co-dependency leads to enabling and ultimately to the destruction of peoples' lives.

I like the idea of it being brand as a rally FOR The City instead of a protest AGAINST Ford.

I like this! If you all don't mind, I'll be incorporating all of your feedback into the site and on Twitter.

If someone doesn't mind, could you create a public event on Facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back