News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 860     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accountability through elections, ha!

I think it's interesting that Councillors seem to agree it is better to appoint somebody who will not run again. It's like there admitting that there is this massive incumbency advantage - once you are on Council it is very easy to stay there. They're fine with their own incumbency advantages, but they'll be damned before they give it to somebody else for nothing!
Someone being in place for a year would be less about avoiding incumbency and more about avoiding a year of quasi-campaigning from whoever that person is. The person will work in the interests of their community and then a fresh face will get elected after a proper election campaign by all of them. Being in place for less than a full year would hardly make some an incumbent, in the usual sense of the word, would it?

I'm not following. Did they change the process for councillor appointment?
I think he was referring to the "grossly unsuitable representative from Etobicoke" comment ;)

Because of the court files the media is going to be looking at?

It depends on what was released today to the legal team representing the media. If Ford's name wasn't redacted from the documents, the Chief will want to get ahead of any leaks. I'm still waiting (as are all of us I'm sure) to find out if anything damning was in the warrants that are being looked over. We should know by either tonight or at least before the week is over.

I'm looking for the silence of certain reporters (quiet and busy means they got a lead and are following up on it to publish a story soon after) or for a press conference being called by the TPS (the Chief announcing charges and/or non criminal connections about the mayor's involvement in a police investigation).

Daniel Dale, Robyn Doolittle, and Jonathan Goldsbie have been quiet today while Don Peat's been on the Cronut Caper beat. Good signs for a developing storm front on the accu-Ford news system.

Slow news day, I guess. The Star's FOI request for emails from the mayor's staff will be given to them in about a week. We have that to look forward to, at least.

Here's a question while we quietly wait for news to break:

Do you think Kevin Donovan and Robyn Doolittle and other journalists working this story are questioning their work? What I mean is, it seems this story is bigger than just the crack video. If they have the evidence of huge corruption and scandal on a scale never before seen in this city, big enough to ruin the careers of the mayor and others, big enough to send people to jail, big enough to bring City Hall to its knees, do you think they're sitting there with it on their desk saying "Should we do it?". Are they feeling immense pressure? Are they in a battle with themselves over what to do?

Last edited:
dforth

I'm sure they are beginning to connect the dots. But they have to tread carefully. Any inconsistency or untruth about their further investigations would be complete fodder for Ford Nation. "I told you it was conspiracy!!" "The Red Star!!" would be all over talk talk radio. I don't believe we are even close to figuring everything out. Being the responsible journalists they are, I do not think they will jump to conclusions before all the facts are in, corroborated and triple-checked.

Please don't listen to it.

A few weeks ago, one of the talking heads was going on about how it was unreasonable to expect our mayor to know where or what the SRT was. It was in reference to this video. I almost drove my car off the road...

Respect for taxpayers dollars and yet has no clue about what he wants to spend $1.4 Billion on. Yup...

If you were listening to Friendly Fire that night, even Ryan Doyle was jumping off the Rob Ford bandwagon over this - And aside from Jerry Aguiar, he is probably the furthest-right host on the station.

I don't know why you would caution someone not to listen to the station. They provide a lot of interesting conversations and have some characters that are entertaining to listen to - Whether you agree or disagree with them.

Should we only listen to the media we agree with?

If you were listening to Friendly Fire that night, even Ryan Doyle was jumping off the Rob Ford bandwagon over this - And aside from Jerry Aguiar, he is probably the furthest-right host on the station.

I don't know why you would caution someone not to listen to the station. They provide a lot of interesting conversations and have some characters that are entertaining to listen to - Whether you agree or disagree with them.

Should we only listen to the media we agree with?

John Moore provides some balance too, as I recall.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 4m

How much marijuana has he smoked? "A lot," Rob Ford says.

I guess Harper and other CPC ministers will have to attack Ford for this like they are attacking Trudeau?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back