941     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 615     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chance to throw your hat(s) into the ring!
News Release

August 26, 2013

Vacancy for Office of Councillor in Toronto's Ward 3 Etobicoke Centre

Toronto City Council at its meeting today decided that the vacant office of Councillor Ward 3 Etobicoke Centre will be filled by appointment.

To be eligible for appointment to this office a person must be:
• a Canadian citizen
• at least 18 years of age
• a resident of the City of Toronto, or own or rent property in the City of Toronto (or be the spouse of the owner or renter) • not legally prohibited from voting, or from holding municipal office.

An information session will be held on Wednesday, September 25 from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Etobicoke Civic Centre, 399 The West Mall for anyone interested in being considered for the appointment.

Interested individuals must complete a Declaration of Qualification, Consent of Nominee and provide identification showing name, signature and qualifying address within the City of Toronto. Forms will only be distributed at the information session.

The deadline for filing an application is noon on Thursday, September 26, 2013 at the City Clerk’s Office, 100 Queen St. W., 2nd Floor.

Etobicoke York Community Council will hold a special meeting on Thursday, October 3 at 9:30 a.m. to hear from applicants, ask questions of applicants and recommend to Council its preferred candidate.

City Council will hold a special meeting on Thursday, October 10 at 9:30 a.m. to hear from applicants, ask questions of applicants and vote to appoint a person to fill the vacancy.

The successful applicant will serve the remainder of the term of office that ends on November 30, 2014.

For further information, contact Election Services at 416-338-1111 or visit http://www.toronto.ca/elections.

So Mark Twohey confirmed he did contact the police before getting fired by Ford....

Mark Towhey said:
Asked by Richards if he believes there is a video, Towhey said, “I don’t know if there’s a video.â€

Article in The Star

Well this is interesting. If Towhey can open up about this now, does that mean the flood is about to begin, with other staffers beginning to talk? I wonder if there was a gag order of sorts in place, either by the police or in a city hall employment contract?

He also won't comment on whether or not Price talked about his "hypothetical" question due to the confidential nature of City Hall conversations

My wife and I were in the car when we heard that council had voted to appoint a replacement for Mr. Holyday. We looked at each other and said in perfect unison "Adam Giambrone". Please. Bring it on.

Not everyone has unlimited bandwidth. The Toronto Star should know better.

It's much worse if you tend to set your volume level(s) using sliders in software, and your speakers are up loud (but not playing anything) and you click on one of those articles. Reading, reading, readAH @%@$*!!!!

Now would be the perfect opportunity to get another Ford into politics. Maybe Doug can suggest Randy Ford as a replacement for Doug Holyday in Ward 3. He's not a career politician, meaning he has no idea how city politics work, he has a long history of drug-use and violence, and he has a direct line to the current Toronto kingmaker, Rob Ford. Seems like a no-brainer. Think of the Sunday radio show with 3 Fords on air at once. Toronto couldn't do any better.

Just got a phone survey from Forum Research about city issues. One of the questions was who you would vote for. Choices were Ford, Stintz, Chow, Tory or "someone else". You also got to say what one change you would like to see in Toronto. :)

I would love it if council appoints a raging left-wing anarchist just for a jab at Ford.
My understanding is that it's Etobicoke community council that get's first crack at appointing someone. Presumably city council would simply rubberstamp whoever is chosen, unless they are grossly unsuitable.

Am I wrong about the process?

My understanding is that it's Etobicoke community council that get's first crack at appointing someone. Presumably city council would simply rubberstamp whoever is chosen, unless they are grossly unsuitable.

Am I wrong about the process?

That's pretty much it. Ford lacks the ability to whip city council so they should be expected to endorse whoever the EYCC puts forward. Ford could conceivably whip the EYCC to propose someone unpalatable to city council, but since they'd be replacing a conservative with a conservative it's difficult to see city councillors putting up a fight.

Just got a phone survey from Forum Research about city issues. One of the questions was who you would vote for. Choices were Ford, Stintz, Chow, Tory or "someone else". You also got to say what one change you would like to see in Toronto. :)

Had that one Friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back