184     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 319     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 553     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what may sink Mr. Ford. this flooding you are having, here in Calgary Nenshi stepped up to the plate and his approval rating has gone through the roof. I think if Ford doesn't address the city, people may come to see him as the lame duck we all know him to be.

Ford provided no leadership after the shooting at the Eaton Centre, or the worst mass shooting in Toronto's history on Danzig street, or when chunks of concrete starting falling off the Gardiner Expressway. For some reason no one really demanded that he, as our Mayor, should do anything about it. I guess the part of Toronto's public that makes up the "outrage machine" are too loyal to Ford to actually hold him accountable for anything.

I've been watching CP24 for hours. I have not heard one word from our Mayor, not one word of encouragement or promises that he is working around the clock to ensure the people of Toronto are safe. I'm not at all comparing this to the Calgary floods or any other major catastrophe, but they're saying this is the most rain we've had in a short amount of time since Hurricane Hazel in 1954. That's significant. I have a friend on the GO train stuck at Pottery Road, has been for 6 hours. Where the HELL is our Mayor???? Hiding in his SUV??? Honestly....

I don't expect much leadership from Ford on this. It's Ford after all. However, ironically, if he does show a little bit of leadership, it would make him look good to his existing supporters, and maybe a few others too.

There's no point in showing leadership if it isn't going to make you popular.

I've been watching CP24 for hours. I have not heard one word from our Mayor, not one word of encouragement or promises that he is working around the clock to ensure the people of Toronto are safe. I'm not at all comparing this to the Calgary floods or any other major catastrophe, but they're saying this is the most rain we've had in a short amount of time since Hurricane Hazel in 1954. That's significant. I have a friend on the GO train stuck at Pottery Road, has been for 6 hours. Where the HELL is our Mayor???? Hiding in his SUV??? Honestly....

He was on CP24 (by phone) just before 7. He demonstrated a level of heroism and wisdom that I've never seen before:

"Stay inside. Call 911 if you need help."

Not an exact quote, but that sums up what he had to say :rolleyes:

And as of now, he's apparently hiding in his SUV to stay cool.

Its pretty sad if we judge our leadership but the words of "encouragement" they offer in times of distress ... as frankly ... who cares ... the leadership they show the other 364 days a year is what counts. The various city departments generally doing a good job themselves ... do you really need the Mayor to come out and say "Don't worry ... its all under control ... " essentially a meaningless statement.

Its pretty sad if we judge our leadership but the words of "encouragement" they offer in times of distress ... as frankly ... who cares ... the leadership they show the other 364 days a year is what counts. The various city departments generally doing a good job themselves ... do you really need the Mayor to come out and say "Don't worry ... its all under control ... " essentially a meaningless statement.

No one needs the mayor coming out to say anything. I am sure all of the emergency services and other important departments are briefing Rob Ford frequently. He is aware of everything that is going on and what is needed/going to be done. If the people really care enough for information they can follow Twitter.

He was on CP24 (by phone) just before 7. He demonstrated a level of heroism and wisdom that I've never seen before:

"Stay inside. Call 911 if you need help."

Not an exact quote, but that sums up what he had to say :rolleyes:

And as of now, he's apparently hiding in his SUV to stay cool.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-knocks-out-power-in-toronto/article13080793/

Mayor Rob Ford encouraged people to stay inside their homes where possible, except to check on the vulnerable, elderly, or those who may not be able to cope on their own.

He said the city is taking an “all hands on deck” approach to dealing with the “serious situation” caused by the first round of storms. He said civic officials are bracing for the second round now nearing the western end of the GTA.

He asked Toronto residents not to call 911 unless it’s a dire emergency because the line is getting overwhelmed. He urged people to contact 311 for information updates.

My basement was flooded. Fortunately, my family and I managed to clear our basement off of the floodwater.
Do you have a sewer backflow valve?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-knocks-out-power-in-toronto/article13080793/

Mayor Rob Ford encouraged people to stay inside their homes where possible, except to check on the vulnerable, elderly, or those who may not be able to cope on their own.

He said the city is taking an “all hands on deck” approach to dealing with the “serious situation” caused by the first round of storms. He said civic officials are bracing for the second round now nearing the western end of the GTA.

He asked Toronto residents not to call 911 unless it’s a dire emergency because the line is getting overwhelmed. He urged people to contact 311 for information updates.

All hands on deck for some, hands off for others. Let the professionals do their jobs. If public officials like Hazel McCallion are having late night meetings and briefings with city department heads as part of their strategy it's just a bonus. They are politicians not emergency responders or crisis managers after all.

All hands on deck for some, hands off for others. Let the professionals do their jobs. If public officials like Hazel McCallion are having late night meetings and briefings with city department heads as part of their strategy it's just a bonus. They are politicians not emergency responders or crisis managers after all.

They are civic leaders. People generally look the leadership in times of trouble.

No one needs the mayor coming out to say anything. I am sure all of the emergency services and other important departments are briefing Rob Ford frequently. He is aware of everything that is going on and what is needed/going to be done. If the people really care enough for information they can follow Twitter.

No, no one NEEDS him to say anything. And, TigerMaster, I did miss his brief radio announcement, which probably originated from the comfort of his fully air conditioned SUV. We've never expected him to go above and beyond because it's just not in him. But it's just common sense that appearing briefly before the media not only gives many a sense of comfort, but would also relay that he might actually give a sh*t. Anything else?

Dealing with emergencies is part of the his job as the top elected official - if he can respond to potholes, the whole "hands off" argument just doesn't wash. What, he couldn't have stayed at City Hall coordinating responses or otherwise keep the media briefed? He certainly haven't had trouble calling an impromptu news conference about the Dufferin bridge shutdown for crying out loud.

AoD

Last edited:
And even Doug was out directing traffic. Rob could have been doing something similar. People love when the mayor is hands-on involved in emergency situations -- remember 9/11? Or certainly more recently Calgary's floods? Just two examples where the mayor was out and about everywhere, to rave reviews -- not that I think their primary motivation was to get those reviews, I think they were just doing what any good leader would do.

PL:

I wouldn't even call it "good" - I would call it "responsible" instead. If you are tasked with being the mayor, would *you* have headed home and chill out w the AC on in the SUV while there is flooding everywhere in your city? It just does NOT compute. And before anyone even raises this - I don't give a sh*t about him having a family - most leaders do and it didn't keep them from doing their job.

AoD

Last edited:
Is the government's job to deliver services to residents or to provide well paying jobs. Middle class jobs disappeared from Toronto and moved to 905 region over the last 30 years. 905 region has a higher median wage. If the only way the city can increase average income is to increase the pay of its own employees over the longrun we will be no better off than many American cities with declining private sector and no one to pick up the tab for the wage increases and pension benefits

And yet Toronto's property tax is lower than the 905. So how does that square with your view that Toronto is overtaxed in order to pay for its workers?

Actually, middle-class jobs aren't disappearing to the 905. Middle-class RESIDENTS have moved to the 905 because property is cheaper out there. In reality middle-class jobs have moved to Asia, or been replaced by machines, or have been de-skilled/up-skilled into low-class and upper-class jobs.

A basic part of the government's job (since the beginning of the income tax at least) is to redistribute wealth and promote equality. Filling the labour market with low-wage jobs in order to ease the tax burden on the wealthy does the exact opposite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back