1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 865     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford won by a wide margin and obviously had the support of many demographics and it is unlikely anywhere near a majority of his supporters were both low-income AND a visible minority. In fact only 24% of the city is below the poverty line and almost certainly it's a lower share of the electorate since they vote less. And not all of these low income people are nonwhite.

Note that Ward 8 - the poorest ward in the suburbs and Ward 42 - the highest proportion of visible minorities in Scarborough - Ford's showing was actually below his suburban average.

I was replying to a comment that asserted Ford's base was white and upper-middle class.

Polls indicate it's nothing of the sort. People who describe themselves as white Canadian or from Anglo ancestry tend to hugely disapprove of Ford. He has most support within visible minorities, Eastern Europeans, etc, and those not born in Canada.

What I found most interesting about that last poll is how one of the biggest demographic determinants to see whether someone is likely to support Ford or not is religion. People who claimed 'no religion', a very large chunk of the sample, tended to disapprove of him quite dramatically.

Of course, it only makes sense.

Indeed the perfect storm. Millerites wouldn't let go of their man Pantalone even though it was clear for weeks that he wasn't going to win and that their vote for him was going to put Ford in office. Had Pantalone and Miller endorsed Smitherman rather than spend the last couple of weeks exclusively attacking him and helping Ford, I have little doubt that Smitherman would have squeaked by with a win or at the very least Ford wouldn't have had much of a mandate. As much as I like David Miller, he played a big role in electing Rob Ford and I do resent it.

I was a Miller supporter and there was no way in hell I would ever support Smitherman. People on the left and the right both despised Smitherman. In some ways he tried to run the the right of Ford. Remember it was Smitherman, not Ford, who campaigned on the promise of a tax freeze. Many on the left are quite happy that an ineffective right-wing bully made it into office rather than an effective right-wing bully (effective in getting his way, that is, not necessarily effective in running the city). I really resent the fact that Smitherman was eventually cast as the "left-wing" candidate who lost to the "right-wing" candidate. Smitherman started as the right-wing candidate, and when Ford's popularity started to take off, he pushed even further to the right.

I watched this on my iPhone and am happy that finally admitted it. When I got home, I watched it on a larger screen and it appears that the video is a fake and someone pieced together several clips. I guess this shows the importance of seeing things under proper conditions before jumping to conclusions.:p

It's obviously faked. Not sure why you would have thought otherwise. It's a sendup, nothing more, nothing less. Good for a laugh,

An interesting read. How far will Ford be able to go with his new team?

LORINC: Fourth quarter and Team Ford is down by a few
June 3, 2013 | By John Lorinc
If you lived inside Rob Ford’s brain these days, what kind of thoughts would you expect to see floating by?

After watching the revolving door spectacle last week, it struck me that the brothers Ford and their old football buddy/business partner David Price might find themselves in a coaching frame of mind. Heading into the fourth quarter, three touchdowns behind, and trying for a come-from-behind win in order to go on to the Superbowl. Hail Mary passes and all that.

[...]

One example of the latter: his revised approach to the media. Ford, by later in the week, had abandoned the reverse fake (slipping out the side door), which wasn’t working, in favour of a run up the middle (daily mini-pressers). This play, for those who hate football, occurs when the team with the ball simply tries to push its way through a wall of hulking linemen. Indeed, when Ford finds himself confronting the media horde staking out his office, does he, in his his mind’s eye, watch himself powering through a phalanx of nasty linebackers? Does Doug, or the apparently loyal Price, think in those terms? I have no idea, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

[...]

The mayor, of course, has been in campaign mode since he took office because he only sees the universe in Manichean terms: us vs. them, my team vs. your team. In the world of competitive team sports, unlike the world of political governance, one doesn’t compromise with the other squad. One tries to defeat it.

Yet what happens when Team Ford (“Ford Nation†is a misnomer) begins to operationalize its come-from-behind victory fantasy? Many questions should arise that have nothing to do with crack. One of the more intriguing problems for journalists covering what’s left of the Ford administration will be determining how much of the work being done inside his office is actually about assembling a campaign machine. Were these new staffers hired to advance a policy agenda tailored for governing through the rest of Ford’s term, or have they been tasked with helping him prepare for the 2014 campaign?

It’s a key detail. After all, the 2014 election period doesn’t official begin for seven months, and the resources of the mayor’s office should never be used to build a campaign. (Indeed, Ford has barked at length about how councillors use their office budget to put out promotional materials meant to ensure their re-election.)

So from where I sit, Ford’s new response to the crack scandal could and should raise tough questions about whether he’s begun to use tax dollars for partisan purposes. As anyone concerned about fair elections will concede, there’s nothing more important, if you pardon the metaphor, than a level playing field.
http://spacing.ca/toronto/2013/06/03/lorinc-fourth-quarter-and-team-ford-is-down-by-a-few/

The question is not whether or not he's using tax dollars for his campaigning. We already know that he does. What the question should be is what to do to stop such waste.

sadly, there is little question that homophobia played a significant role in limiting Smitherman's appeal among certain groups.

I don't deny that it was a factor, but it was a small factor. Let's not forget that Glen Murray managed to get himself elected mayor of Winnipeg in the late 1990s. There's no way that Winnipeg was more progressive back then than Toronto is now.

What ultimately did in Smitherman was the whiff of opportunism that trailed behind him -- especially, as mentioned by others, his attempt to run right.

There's no way that Winnipeg was more progressive back then than Toronto is now.

I don't know about that, Winnipeg has a long history of progressivism.

Case in point: William Kardash (member of the Manitoba legislature from 1941 to 1958) was a member of the Communist Party, representing the riding of North Winnipeg. And then there was Jacob Penner, an elected alderman on the Winnipeg council on the Communist ticket from 1933 to 1960, followed by Joe Zuken, who was alderman in Penner's old district until 1983 when he stepped down due to health problems. He ran for Mayor of Winnipeg in 1979 and ended up in second place in the voting.

Although this might be further left than what you are thinking of.

What ultimately did in Smitherman was the whiff of opportunism that trailed behind him -- especially, as mentioned by others, his attempt to run right.
Yes, to me Smitherman came across as a typical Liberal hack, not particularly committed to Toronto, and somewhat abrasive and pig-headed. For mayors, I much prefer people who've worked up the ranks of civic politics than people who parachute in from upper levels of government, because for those folks it seems like mayor's office is a consolation prize (see also John Tory).

there are many more shoes still to drop

There have to be literally dozens of witnesses out there to Ford's indiscretions with intoxicants. I would hope that the papers are actively looking for them, interviewing them, and persuading them to go on the record for a future blockbuster story.

But that will take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back