391     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 717     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's the guy. When Star reporters called his bullshit, he threatened to physically harm them on his blog and mentioned that he has a gun and is allowed to use it due to his "diplomatic immunity". Total nutcase. TPS are on to him.

He must be related to this guy.

[video=youtube;kwC_IaY3BmY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwC_IaY3BmY[/video]

I know some people would dispute this, but I'm very confident that Miller would have won if he ran in 2010. Every candidate except Joe Pantelone (who wouldn't have run against Miller) was running on the right and would have split the anti-Miller vote. Ford won because he was the most authentic candidate in a pack of politicians claiming to be pro-car fiscal conservatives.

I agree. Ford wasn't invincible - he was just up against some very weak opposition and had the "perfect storm." Miller was a strong and credible campaigner and almost certainly would have beaten him.

Sure, there must be a bunch of Ford-like people in Etobicoke who identify with him, but the majority of his supporters likely belong to low-income minorities.

That is almost certainly NOT the case. The majority of visible minorities are not low income and in addition to that he won in heavily white areas too like South Etobicoke.

Also the very poor are less likely to vote in municipal elections - they are very much skewed toward the homeowner (more white and middle income).

It also wouldn't surprise me that in a lot of "diverse" suburban wards where he got say 55% of the vote - he probably pulled 70-80% of the remaining whites who dislike "minorities and immigrants taking over."

Ford won by a wide margin and obviously had the support of many demographics and it is unlikely anywhere near a majority of his supporters were both low-income AND a visible minority. In fact only 24% of the city is below the poverty line and almost certainly it's a lower share of the electorate since they vote less. And not all of these low income people are nonwhite.

Note that Ward 8 - the poorest ward in the suburbs and Ward 42 - the highest proportion of visible minorities in Scarborough - Ford's showing was actually below his suburban average.

Last edited:
I agree. Ford wasn't invincible - he was just up against some very weak opposition and had the "perfect storm." Miller was a strong and credible campaigner and almost certainly would have beaten him.

Indeed the perfect storm. Millerites wouldn't let go of their man Pantalone even though it was clear for weeks that he wasn't going to win and that their vote for him was going to put Ford in office. Had Pantalone and Miller endorsed Smitherman rather than spend the last couple of weeks exclusively attacking him and helping Ford, I have little doubt that Smitherman would have squeaked by with a win or at the very least Ford wouldn't have had much of a mandate. As much as I like David Miller, he played a big role in electing Rob Ford and I do resent it.

Simple. Ford says he saved them money. They believe he save them money. When you are hard up for cash, you are focused on little else.

What is neede is a politician who can help these people realize that the interests of the likes of Ford are actually not in their best interest.

In a lot of cases, you're right it really is this simple. Even if they're not in a tough financial spot, they believe government is corrupt, thus will believe anything Ford says even if it has no bearing in reality. The more foolish his behaviour and comments, the more they believe he's not really an evil politician but just a regular guy standing up for them.

It's actually quite bizarre.

If I had to pick a Mayor from the current crop of Councillors Michael Thompson would be at the top of the list. I don't understand why his name is never mentioned as a possible contender. As for Wong-Tam I think at this point it will be next to impossible for her to win re-election in her ward much less win a Mayors race. She won her ward with the tiniest of margins when she was an unknown commodity. Now that voters have a better idea of what makes Wong-Tam tick (she bankrolled QuAIA) a lot of voters are completely turned-off her. In a Mayoral race I can't see where she would have support - I'd vote Kevin Clarke for Mayor before I would vote for Wong-Tam.

Bankrolling QuAIA is not factual, she supported QuAIA but she did not bankroll them - and so what that she was involved with the group?
She did win by a slim margin however voters in this Ward who have now met or spoken with her, attended meetings or are aware of what she has done/is doing will most surely support her next election. After all, those who are active and engaged in the community are much more likely to vote, and people in the riding are happy with Krystin Wong-Tam. As a Mayoral candidate it's too early for her, and she needs more accomplishments behind her - so many of which are in the works now. She may also be too far to the left too - Wong-Tam is the polar opposite of a Rob Ford, though she is something approaching that of a fiscal conservative.

Last edited:
This is pretty funny.

I watched this on my iPhone and am happy that finally admitted it. When I got home, I watched it on a larger screen and it appears that the video is a fake and someone pieced together several clips. I guess this shows the importance of seeing things under proper conditions before jumping to conclusions.:p

Let's not forget everyone - Downtown Toronto had around a 25% turnout of registered voters, if I recall correctly. That's pretty dismal. Hopefully Ford has the effect of making people realize "Hey, maybe I should go vote so that this doesn't happen again." Also helpful would be online voting (if we can do our taxes online, why can't we vote? what not keep it open for a week rather than a few hours?) and a ranked ballot (so that you only have to vote once, but you get the effect of a runoff vote).

That is almost certainly NOT the case. The majority of visible minorities are not low income and in addition to that he won in heavily white areas too like South Etobicoke.

Also the very poor are less likely to vote in municipal elections - they are very much skewed toward the homeowner (more white and middle income).

It also wouldn't surprise me that in a lot of "diverse" suburban wards where he got say 55% of the vote - he probably pulled 70-80% of the remaining whites who dislike "minorities and immigrants taking over."

Ford won by a wide margin and obviously had the support of many demographics and it is unlikely anywhere near a majority of his supporters were both low-income AND a visible minority. In fact only 24% of the city is below the poverty line and almost certainly it's a lower share of the electorate since they vote less. And not all of these low income people are nonwhite.

Note that Ward 8 - the poorest ward in the suburbs and Ward 42 - the highest proportion of visible minorities in Scarborough - Ford's showing was actually below his suburban average.

Yes but Smitherman was gay, and those from South Asia would rather support a drug using wife beater than a gay man.

And this is what I've been told by people who live in these areas and have insight, not just a an ignorant comment.

Don't discount the fact that many voters are extremely overextended financially--this runs across all demographics. Toronto is an expensive city and many are drowning in personal debt. Anyone who can promise a significant break on taxes becomes electable. I'm sure there are Ford constituents out there who hope and believe another 30% could easily be cut from the operating budget next year!

Yes but Smitherman was gay, and those from South Asia would rather support a drug using wife beater than a gay man.

And this is what I've been told by people who live in these areas and have insight, not just a an ignorant comment.
I second this.

I had a woman tell me that she would have voted for Smitherman if he weren't gay. Made me furious.

I second this.

I've had a few south east asian woman tell me that she would have voted for Smitherman if he weren't gay. Made me furious.

sadly, there is little question that homophobia played a significant role in limiting Smitherman's appeal among certain groups.

sadly, there is little question that homophobia played a significant role in limiting Smitherman's appeal among certain groups.

And Ford or those close to Ford made wink-winks to this during the last election.

Though there is also little question that George Smitherman played a significant role in limiting George Smitherman's appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back