725     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 490     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 799     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
By Rob Ford's logic, by paying 75 million, he saved the city 950 million in not having the surface line built. Therefore, Rob Ford save the city 875 million dollars.

To call anything terrible writing in such a terribly written post is a bit rich.

True, Hume can be repetivie in his jeremiads, but the point of wailing and gnashing your teeth is to gnash until what you're wailing at goes away. I am sure he is sincerely distraught at the idea of three more years of Frod nonsense. I know I am. The piece referred to is one of his better plaints.

typo or freudian slip ... either way, it's quite appropriate.

the Frod bros.

So drivers (of which I am one) now pay $60 less per year to keep their cars on the road while transit users (of which I am also one) now pay $60 more per year to take the TTC.

Something tells me that Mayor Ford's world is a little closer to the way he would like it today.

Toronto Star: Rob Ford: Land transfer tax will be reduced next year

Mayor Rob Ford says the land transfer tax will be reduced next year, perhaps by 25 per cent.

During his election campaign, Ford promised to abolish the tax immediately upon taking office. Late in the campaign, he said he might have to wait until 2012. He has hedged further as mayor, promising to abolish the tax by the end of his four-year term.

In an interview with CP24’s Stephen LeDrew on Thursday morning, he said, “We’re going to start working on that this year.â€

“I can’t say we’re gonna wipe it out this year, but it might be a quarter this year, a half next year, or — you know, but we’re gonna do it piece by piece. You’re gonna see a portion of the land transfer tax, I don’t know how much right now, be gone by the end of next year,†Ford said.

Ford has repeatedly argued that Toronto does not have the money to pay for its programs and services even with the lucrative tax, which is expected to generate about $300 million in 2011. He will face stiff council resistance if he attempts to reduce it.
Left-leaning Councillor Gord Perks said Ford had “lost touch with reality.â€

“On Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays he tells us we’re broke. On Thursdays and Fridays he tells us to cut our income. He doesn’t know how to govern,†Perks said.

In the interview, Ford said he believed work on a Sheppard subway extension could begin rapidly. “We're gonna get shovels in the ground, hopefully this year r next year, on Sheppard,†he said.

Thats insane. I just moved. I paid the tax. By no means was it fun and by no means am I saying it should stay simply because I paid it. Rather its needed for the cities finances. If you can afford a 500k house you can afford the tax. If we remove the tax we will simply pay somewhere else. To me its situated in a good spot. You simply pay if you move. You can avoid by guess what? NOT MOVING.

I dont understand how we get rid of random things like the $65 drivers fee simply to add $60 to transit users. I use both by the way. Now all we will be doing is wasting time removing one source of income and wasting more time trying to figure out how to raise the money back. Is anything actually getting done at city hall?

Mayor Rob Ford says the land transfer tax will be reduced next year, perhaps by 25 per cent.

During his election campaign, Ford promised to abolish the tax immediately upon taking office. Late in the campaign, he said he might have to wait until 2012. He has hedged further as mayor, promising to abolish the tax by the end of his four-year term.

In an interview with CP24’s Stephen LeDrew on Thursday morning, he said, “We’re going to start working on that this year.â€

“I can’t say we’re gonna wipe it out this year, but it might be a quarter this year, a half next year, or — you know, but we’re gonna do it piece by piece. You’re gonna see a portion of the land transfer tax, I don’t know how much right now, be gone by the end of next year,†Ford said.

Ford has repeatedly argued that Toronto does not have the money to pay for its programs and services even with the lucrative tax, which is expected to generate about $300 million in 2011. He will face stiff council resistance if he attempts to reduce it.
Left-leaning Councillor Gord Perks said Ford had “lost touch with reality.â€

“On Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays he tells us we’re broke. On Thursdays and Fridays he tells us to cut our income. He doesn’t know how to govern,†Perks said.

In the interview, Ford said he believed work on a Sheppard subway extension could begin rapidly. “We're gonna get shovels in the ground, hopefully this year or next year, on Sheppard,†he said.

LOL, whatever buddy, is he delusional?

The inevitable council revolt is one step closer.

"We're gonna get shovels in the ground, hopefully this year or next year, on Sheppard."

THIS YEAR? So, 2 weeks?! It doesn't count if he physically digs a hole in the ground himself.

The problem is not so much that he's a bad accountant or something, but that he's slavishly working within the ridiculous budgetary constraints imposed by Ford, and is therefore not open to reason.

along with personal ideologies and agendas.

I'm surprised he went ahead with reducing (though not eliminating) the land transfer tax while axing or contracting out thousands of good jobs (not gravy) and cutting city services. To not consider reinstating the vehicle registration tax or replace it with some sort of highway tolling/congestion tax is madness. He broke most of his election promises so why not be consistent when we're talking hundreds of millions of dollars of income to the City. Oh yes, respect for the taxpayer - the upper income tax payer. Generally higher income earners get the financial breaks while struggling lower income earners are getting the boot under Ford Nation.

I seem to remember the cries of alarm from the construction and building industries when the Land Transfer Tax was introduced. " Building will stop", "sales will drop incredibly" "The world as we know it will end.". As we all know, new building continues apace and sales and prices have never been higher! It is beyond stupidity to reduce one's income when you are facing a 'shortfall" and are cutting essential services. I say, bring back the Vehicle Registration Tax - god knows $60/year is a tiny fraction of the annual cost of operating a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back