984     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 847     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ No. The province could force it on Toronto if they want to (and they have hinted at it). Breaking contracts with Bombardier would also be a major problem for Ford. He can't do that without going to council first. I'm not sure that he would get the support, even if the majority were conservatives.

I don't like the idea of Ford getting in but it would be a positive if Toronto got rid of this stupid "union rates" for infastructure. That is why infastructure projects of all kind cost more in Toronto than other cities. No one should be dicriminated against due to not having union wages.

I don't like the idea of Ford getting in but it would be a positive if Toronto got rid of this stupid "union rates" for infastructure. That is why infastructure projects of all kind cost more in Toronto than other cities. No one should be dicriminated against due to not having union wages.

Which major constructions projects are there in Canada that don't use union wages?

If all the trades are unionized, are you suggesting the city hire non-qualified, completely inexperienced workers so they can avoid 'union wages'?

the Allen T-boning into Eglinton (a short 2-lane tunnel just to Bathurst may alleviate that ... though I doubt there is enough money in Ford's pot even for that. Probably relatively small projects.

a) That would not be a 'realitvely small project'.
b) Bathurst crosses the ravine on a bridge at least 10m above the relatively narrow ravine floor. Immediately below that is the subway. Where, exactly, is this tunnel going to surface and how would it connect to Bathurst? You'd be blowing away many rather expensive houses (whose owners and neighbours probably wouldn't be keen on the idea), to say nothing of completely trashing a very attractive ravine.

If Rob Ford has the appetite for an endless strike that will paralyze Toronto for a month or more, maybe he could get the unions to get their wages down. I doubt it, even with the strike. Likely, if a TTC strike went on for more than a week, the province would step in and make the TTC an essential service which would backfire on Ford's goal to reduce spending on wages.

the Allen T-boning into Eglinton (a short 2-lane tunnel just to Bathurst may alleviate that ...

You know, that's actually a great idea. It appears to be possible via mostly cut and cover:

screenshot20100920at710.png

A tunnel boring under that block of houses would get it in to Cedarvale Park. The rest of the way could be done cut and cover. It certainly would resolve a lot of the congestion on Eglinton though I imagine that traffic lights down Bathurst would still create a bottleneck.

While I'm not saying it will not happen, there's really no proof yet Ford plans to cancel spending to cultural events (pride / caribana / luminato / so on ...) .

If Rob Ford has the appetite for an endless strike that will paralyze Toronto for a month or more, maybe he could get the unions to get their wages down. I doubt it, even with the strike. Likely, if a TTC strike went on for more than a week, the province would step in and make the TTC an essential service which would backfire on Ford's goal to reduce spending on wages.

You know, that's actually a great idea. It appears to be possible via mostly cut and cover:

screenshot20100920at710.png

A tunnel boring under that block of houses would get it in to Cedarvale Park. The rest of the way could be done cut and cover. It certainly would resolve a lot of the congestion on Eglinton though I imagine that traffic lights down Bathurst would still create a bottleneck.

We already have a couple of tunnels there, called the Spadina heavy rail Subway. Don't need any other tunnel.

Then we will have a new provincial government. It's about time. :)

The union seems to be very nervous about privatization right now. We will see how it goes.

^ there's not only the subway but also a very large trunk sewer. There would be riots in the local community if you clearcut the ravine again, and they just spent millions of dollars last year removing ramp provisions from the Bathurst bridge.

Rob Ford would be the biggest lame duck mayor ever. Not only would he have a rebellious council, and possibly grassroots rebellion not seen here in 40 years, most of the "gravy" he proposes to cut is highly improbable [ being aware of the technicalities of council voting half of itself out of a job], come budget season the Miller-tax revocations would quietly slip aside, and I'm sure he'll come across really well if he tries to union-bust... ("you call that a strike? I'll show you a strike!" )

He's a joke. He will still be a joke even as mayor. Probably more of one, actually, once council openly defies him the first time. Particularly if they elect their own "shadow mayor", which is a distinct possibility if Ford proves to be as grossly incompetent as he's shaping up to be.

I hate to say it but it's almost worth him winning to see him fall flat on his face.

If they elect a shadow-mayor then it will be unconstitutional and a gross violation of our democratic rights.

If the majority voted Ford, then Ford it is, and respect it. You lefties have no problem calling for shadow governments, but would literally foam at the mouth if the same was done to one of your 'precious' mayors. At least the right, in Canada, respects people's democratic rights to vote in a government.

Because Rob Ford is leading and I suspect he would get a lot of votes from fed up drivers. You reap what you sow.

a) When has Ford ever mentioned anything about extending/tunneling the Allen?
b) Whether it helps or doesn't help drivers is irrelevant because it is simply not feasible to tunnel the Allen and pop it out to merge into Bathurst. You've got too much under the ravine already and you don't have room to bring any tunneled road up to the height of Bathurst.
c) Bathurst doesn't exactly have much in the way of spare capacity south of the bridge to handle two lanes of expressway being dumped on to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back