News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've strayed off topic. To conclude:
  1. I do agree blacks face more systemic racism here than another other race, albeit not to the same extent you see in the U.S.
  2. Whites aren't the only ones mostly safe from systemic racism.
  3. I think terms such as "white privilege" and "watch whiteness work" are divisive and counterproductive.
  4. I suspect some activists looking to make a name for themselves see it as advantageous to exaggerate and fan the flames.

There hasn't been a pro-Ford fluff piece by Joe Warmington in a long time. He doesn't even tweet about him anymore. I guess Joe is back to being just another columnist.

1. I do agree blacks face more systemic racism here than another other race, albeit not to the same extent you see in the U.S.
  3. I think terms such as "white privilege" and "watch whiteness work" are divisive and counterproductive.
  4. I suspect some activists looking to make a name for themselves see it as advantageous to exaggerate and fan the flames.

1. Probably true, although racism in Canada is often more subtle and insidious.
2. Who else? There probably isn't a group that is less affected by systemic racism than white Canadian-born Canadians.
3. A term like 'white privilege' seems divisive as long as you don't think there should be a way of referring to the way that white people can take it for granted that they probably won't be targeted/profiled partly because of their whiteness.
4. If their aim is to get people riled up who don't want to think about the idea of white privilege existing, never mind having a name, then sure.

Yep, so what?
Jimmi - Any chance it could be because of some of your "known associates"?

If you've been stopped (detained) or carded once that will keep coming up whenever you are stopped subsequently. Have you tried to get a record of your involuntary interactions with the police? May need help from a community legal clinic to explain what your "rights" and chances of success are. I don't know if you were around for any of the cop overkill during the G20, but they were stopping anybody at random, including a lot of "nice middle aged white folks" for no reason, and defining all kinds of normal stuff as potential weapons (remember the Officer Bubbles stunt?) And if you apply for a job, or an internship, or even to volunteer to work with a community agency and they do a police check on you, "known to the police" can come up with no further explanation.

The cops keep saying carding is a "valuable tool" and have taken to referring to it as "community engagement". The latter is a term that used to be used by planners and sociologists to mean involving citizens in community consultation & decision-making. The cops keep claiming to have proof that carding is an effective tool but keep refusing to release their evidence. Maybe the TPS are just stopping more white people now to make their stats look less obviously biased?

You think his cancer could return that quickly? Hopefully he beats it. I'd root for almost anyone to beat cancer.

I was being sardonic, I wasn't alluding specifically to cancer (I've seen the outcome too many times) but rather the loss of what may be left of his humanity.

There hasn't been a pro-Ford fluff piece by Joe Warmington in a long time. He doesn't even tweet about him anymore. I guess Joe is back to being just another columnist.

Slowly but surely pro-Ford writers are falling away, unfortunately it does show how much time is devoted to "reality" scripting.

first there's a pic of rob at a game with his exec. assistant, and now his lawyer...

rob and dennis.JPG

http://iconosquare.com/p/1044312079674265948_289392195

i guess he doesn't want to be seen out with his real friends?

Attachments

• rob and dennis.JPG
    rob and dennis.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 413
Don't worry. The wife and kids are not totally useless to him, yet. He can always drag them out for show if he decides to run in 2018...

I read a very interesting piece on "white privilege" that I find explains it better than I've seen it before, clarifying the real racial privilege. The author also points out that some of the supposed benefits of "white privilege" are actually "class privilege" having been originally voiced by activists confusing race and socio-economic standing.

The article is at http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person

And ps, I'm not just white, I'm pink and freckled. That's what happens when a French garçon meets and woos a pretty Irish lassie.

https://twitter.com/DesmondCole/status/628623240026570752

Toronto police detain a black woman for an alleged traffic stop, handcuff her for 15 minutes, then let her go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=948&v=p_Z5EgzerdA…

Actually she was allegedly stopped to issue her a traffic ticket, she at first denied to provide ID and they cuffed her because she became irate and resisted being ticketed. Cole is calling it carding, doesn't fit the definition to me, something smells somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back