437     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 645     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest from that Neil guy behind I Hate the War on Mayor Rob Ford is a hoot...

There could be nothing more undemocratic than an unelected, illegitimate "Premier" trying to force out a duly-elected Toronto mayor. And who is letting it happen? Tim "AWOL" Hudak. He has hung the Ontario Taxpayer out to dry, and now he's hanging the Toronto taxpayer out to dry. If there's one politician in Ontario that needs to go, it's Kathleen Wynne, and yet the one man with the power to at least try to make it happen, has ceded all of his power to the NDP. What we have at Queen's Park is a three-party coalition, and the coalition does not like to be challenged by Toronto's Mayor. We believe it is no coincidence that all of this nonsense began the moment Mayor Ford won the debate on Revenue Tooling of the people.

I'm starting to wonder if Rob and Co. haven't interfered with the murder investigation in trying to get the video back. That's about the worst thing on the menu for the Fords.

If this is the case, I can't imagine any law-and-order conservative standing up for him.

That's what'll get 'em, along with anything else that comes up related to their efforts to "take care of the problem". The actual smoking crack part of it is almost irrelevant now. If he'd admitted he had a problem and gone to rehab like everyone suggested, he might have still had a salvageable political career when he came back. No chance of that now, though. Even if his voter base was still there, good luck finding backers with money who'd want to be associated with any future Ford family political campaign.

How about this angle... will he float this one?

In an attempt to take down his worst political enemy, the Toronto Star, Ford and his network of advisors schemed up a plan to attack the credibility of the newspaper by planting a bogus story that he felt the T.O. Star would pay for (something they claim never to do) and after they paid, Ford would publicize the hoax and back up his argument that the T.O. Star is nothing more than a dirty tabloid and, to top it off, he would donate the dirty money he received, by selling the video, to football programs across the GTHA.

To Ford's complete shock, the T.O. Star never took the bait, and furthermore, the part of the video later in the tape where Ford declares (with his arms around the dealers) the hoax and that he is anything but a crack addict, as the Star falsely claimed, went missing. So... The Star never falls for it, the video that proves it was all a hoax is missing, and his advisor can't jump ship fast enough as they can't agree on whether or not to fess up the hoax and exactly which advisor originally came up with the idea.

Of coarse Ford can't come out with the truth now because nobody would ever believe he would ever devise such a masterful setup. Ford knows that he may forever be the laughingstock of Canadian politics and the victim of ridicule and target of jokes like Scott Norwood or Ben Johnson.

Why is Ford avoiding the story? Because he's desperately hoping the missing video shows up so he can get a certain measure of credibility back and begin his ultimate quest to climb the ranks of Canadian politics straight to a seat in the House of Commons.

Ladies and gentlemen. Rob Ford did not smoke crack!!! He's guilty of nothing more than attempting to ruin the image and reputation of a corporation. But, the plan backfired and Ford is in desperation mode as he knows he probably made a critical mistake that he will recover from. Rob Ford has been ostracized by Canadian politics and he knows that the cameras will be there to watch him struggle to fit in to Canadian society as an ordinary citizen. This story is much deeper then it originally appears to be.

It is creative, outside-the-box, and worthy of a tv script. But no one - absolutely no one - could have predicted the Ford's post-video reactions. It was so unprepared, so amateurish and outlandishly unpredictable. Any plot by Team Ford to destroy the Star would surely have involved a far more refined and professional official response.

I think he'd make a good budget chief. Wouldn't want him to lead though, he is throughly unimaginative.

AoD

We just need a competent caretaker for 12-14 months. Holyday's got more imagination than Ford, so we're going in the right direction.

Similar to the Fed Lib's. Whoever may be the interim Mayor, they shouldn't be allowed to run in '14. Whoever it was would have an advantage. Another reason for Holyday, I think he's 72 next year IIRC and he wasn't interested last time.

CP24 talked about Wynne needing approval from the Legislature if the province takes direct action. Have to wonder if the PCs and NDP would ever support that.

Also being floated is the possibility of a 2013 election and making the next Council a 5-year term.

That's what'll get 'em, along with anything else that comes up related to their efforts to "take care of the problem". The actual smoking crack part of it is almost irrelevant now. If he'd admitted he had a problem and gone to rehab like everyone suggested, he might have still had a salvageable political career when he came back. No chance of that now, though. Even if his voter base was still there, good luck finding backers with money who'd want to be associated with any future Ford family political campaign.

The Ford family has money to run a campaign without outside money if they want.

CP24 talked about Wynne needing approval from the Legislature if the province takes direct action. Have to wonder if the PCs and NDP would ever support that.

Also being floated is the possibility of a 2013 election and making the next Council a 5-year term.

If it's actually as serious as it sounds it's getting, it'll be unanimous. Even the PC's can't go against removing a crack smoking, obstructing justice mayor.

The PC's probably won't but judging from her strong language and her confidence I think she has Horwath on board, after all it plays to their advantage.

I like the idea someone mentioned about council voting to reduce the mayor's budget to zero, so even though Ford would still technically hold the position, he couldn't actually do anything. It's weird that even if (when?) Ford is arrested and charged, he'll still be able to hold office while out on bail. I mean, I guess sure, guilty until proven innocent, but it's amazing to think that someone could be shameless enough to show up for work at City Hall every day with that over his head.

junior43:

The PCs won't directly vote for it; they might even feign mild outrage (anti-democratic vis-a-vis Wynne's unelected status as Premier) but I have a feeling they will tacitly let it happen - the longer this thing stays alive, they worse it becomes a liability for them and them alone, given the close association. The distancing has already happened and that's quite telling given the prior coziness and the long history of Ford's family in PC circles.

That said, I am not a huge fan of the province getting involved - There is a good case to revisit the legislation given recent cases (Larry O'Brien, Larry Di Ianni) but creating new legislation to deal with this one off situation, on such narrow timeframe can't be good policymaking.

AoD

Last edited:
I would greatly prefer city council handling this on their own, through the admittedly limited tools they already have (such as calling for an investigation, or zeroing out his budget), in order to force a vacancy. The province stepping in would make this an even more profound embarrassment than it already is (which is saying something), and call into question the legitimacy of whatever solution is imposed. The time to set up appropriate mechanisms for removal of the mayor is before or after a crisis, but not during.

The Ford family has money to run a campaign without outside money if they want.

Enough for a full-on campaign all by themselves? I guess. What's the limit, around a million and a half? I can't see how even they could consider that money well spent.

What am I saying? These are the Fords I'm talking about--of course they could!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back