264     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 173     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 541     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who walks down Queen Street and thinks WTF?

This is a video I made of our neglected public realm. Sadly, nobody else in this city seems to give a crap. OK, is there something wrong with me? lol Oh well, I emailed this to Mr. Mayor and Adam Vaughan, in an attempt to motivate them to do something. After-all, Ford did promise to clean up postering and graffitti, when I spoke to him on the phone.

It's true postering and graffiti is most everywhere downtown but it's really magnified on Queen West and on Bloor St. in the Annex. In my nabe boards are available for postering, but it does nothing to stop postering elsewhere. Ford ran on six months to address the graffiti problem, that gives him until early June. Let's see what happens and then start hammering his office with phone calls and letters if there's no improvement or initiatives introduced by then.

I don't mind postering on Queen west of University. It gives the street the grittiness the same way the telephone(?) lines do.

FYI, telephone poles and overhead wiring are extremely rare on main streets in Toronto.

??? (looks out window) When you say rare, don't you mean common? What part of Toronto are you thinking of?

All of it. How do I know? 30 years working for Bell as a lineman, cable splicer and Engineering department designer all over town and beyond.

In your part of town, I suggest you walk over to the Main Street exchange building and count the number of telephone cables and wires you see leaving this building and running down the street on poles. If any, are they more numerous than the Hydro or TV coaxial network? Can you tell the difference?

Why would anyone need wires to their house for phone service? What is this, the fourth century?

Perhaps because some of us might own 70's vintage all lucite "periscope" phones, with rotary dial of course, and think it is of the utmost importance to continue using them?

...cause it's cool

yea...didn't think of that didya?

In your part of town, I suggest you walk over to the Main Street exchange building and count the number of telephone cables and wires you see leaving this building and running down the street on poles. If any, are they more numerous than the Hydro or TV coaxial network? Can you tell the difference?
Does it matter what type of wiring it is?

You simply said that overheard wiring is rare on main streets in Toronto. As overhead wiring is very common in Toronto your statement is 100% wrong. Now I know why my Bell telephone line is full of static most of the time!

FYI, telephone poles and overhead wiring are extremely rare on main streets in Toronto.

The post with which you are having trouble clearly states TELEPHONE wiring and is in reply to a previous post that wasn't sure about the ownership of the offending aerial infrastructure. That poster thanked me for the clarification.

Would you like to have this one back?

You simply said that overheard wiring is rare on main streets in Toronto. As overhead wiring is very common in Toronto your statement is 100% wrong. Now I know why my Bell telephone line is full of static most of the time!

The post with which you are having trouble clearly states TELEPHONE wiring ...
The post in question simply says wiring ... not telephone wiring.

And even then, when I used to live on Gerrard a couple of years ago, the telephone wire to the house was fed from above, from a wire that lead to a wire running along Gerrard street - on poles. I'll take a look when I get home, but the current telephone wire is coming from a pole, which I also believe is fed from wire running on poles down a side street, and then a main street.

More proof that Doug Ford is the real mayor of Toronto, not Rob Ford.

Remember this video:

[video=youtube;nySs1cEq5rs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nySs1cEq5rs[/video]

where Rob Ford said that roads are for cars?

Now we hear about changing T.O.'s road hockey ban motion by Doug Ford.

See this link about the story.

Have no fear! Rob Ford is not fazed in the least about the huge budget deficit in the upcoming years because quite frankly, it's too far away for him.

The mayor defended his previous refusal to take questions from councillors on how the city will find extra funds next year.

“We talk about what’s in front of us,†Mr. Ford said. “You can’t talk about 2014 or 2015; we’re talking about 2011 and that’s before us, and that’s the proper procedures before council. ... I’m only focused on 2011.â€

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ltimillion-dollar-budget-hole/article1917768/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back